Bought the Verney Carron Veloce

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Bought the Verney Carron Veloce

Post by loudmouthmeatball » 28 Oct 2021, 1:56 pm

Had to make a new account, lost the password to my old email.

Goddam this shotgun is fun.

Over the past week, I have put over 500 shells from it and it's run everything. From the lightest loads to slugs. Kind getting the hang of reloading with it which is a bit different because of the "lever". So I thought I would go over some pros and cons with it. I will mainly be using it for IPSC and foxes

Pros -
It is fast, not as fast as my old Tripple but it has twice the capacity and I can reload it faster as well.
It is also very lightweight, super easy to walk around with.
Recoil is nice because of having to move the bolt back so the misses can shoot it.
Not made in Turkey.
Fun, like alot of fun.

Cons -
The barrel is looonnnggggg which is great in the field but not fantastic running around an IPSC stage. Going to have to take it back to 20inch. There's another $500 to get that cut and rethreaded.
Expensive for what it is.
No attachment for a flashlight to shoot at night which is expected for a hunting shotgun but still a pain.
Also the coating is already starting to look like it is scratching around the loading gate and ejection port so that is a shame.

Overall I am happy with the purchase of this :allegedly: $900 shotgun..... (don't tell her)
loudmouthmeatball
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Bought the Verney Carron Veloce

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2021, 9:34 am

Glad you like it. I'm half tempted to pull the trigger on buying one, but in reality my triple will outshoot it in hunting and I've used both. You are right about the bluing its just terrible. It needs to be cerakoted because it doesn't take much abuse especially on the barrel. I find the pistol grip is a bit strange for me but I can get used it. Have you thought about a magnetic torch mount on the barrel?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by loudmouthmeatball » 29 Oct 2021, 11:49 am

mchughcb wrote:Glad you like it. I'm half tempted to pull the trigger on buying one, but in reality my triple will outshoot it in hunting and I've used both. You are right about the bluing its just terrible. It needs to be cerakoted because it doesn't take much abuse especially on the barrel. I find the pistol grip is a bit strange for me but I can get used it. Have you thought about a magnetic torch mount on the barrel?

Yeah, I had the Tripple as well, honestly for hunting it probably really isn't worth the extra dosh. For the torch I am abit of a heathen to my guns so I will probably get some threaded inserts installed into the wood and attach a Picatinny rail onto it. I was kinda hoping that Verney used the same receiver design as other semi-auto manufacturers so I could put an aftermarket forend on it but I can't find any information.
loudmouthmeatball
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2021, 12:13 pm

loudmouthmeatball wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Glad you like it. I'm half tempted to pull the trigger on buying one, but in reality my triple will outshoot it in hunting and I've used both. You are right about the bluing its just terrible. It needs to be cerakoted because it doesn't take much abuse especially on the barrel. I find the pistol grip is a bit strange for me but I can get used it. Have you thought about a magnetic torch mount on the barrel?

Yeah, I had the Tripple as well, honestly for hunting it probably really isn't worth the extra dosh. For the torch I am abit of a heathen to my guns so I will probably get some threaded inserts installed into the wood and attach a Picatinny rail onto it. I was kinda hoping that Verney used the same receiver design as other semi-auto manufacturers so I could put an aftermarket forend on it but I can't find any information.

https://youtu.be/K_V-08DkCq8
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by loudmouthmeatball » 29 Oct 2021, 12:38 pm

mchughcb wrote:
loudmouthmeatball wrote:

Yeah I saw that video, I assume that's you? I have almost got a decent technique down using the sling and not moving the thumb back between shots, mostly because I feel you don't really need to. You can see in this video around the 5th and 6th shot I the recoil is pushing me back but I have gotten better with it by changing my stance.

https://youtu.be/ZYoZwwmZXvE
loudmouthmeatball
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2021, 5:34 pm

Guys have mods now so you don't need to move the thumb to the right of the stock to activate the lever.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 31 Oct 2021, 10:40 am

loudmouthmeatball wrote:
mchughcb wrote:
loudmouthmeatball wrote:

Yeah I saw that video, I assume that's you? I have almost got a decent technique down using the sling and not moving the thumb back between shots, mostly because I feel you don't really need to. You can see in this video around the 5th and 6th shot I the recoil is pushing me back but I have gotten better with it by changing my stance.

https://youtu.be/ZYoZwwmZXvE

Mate, may I ask what sport you are participating in the video?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2021, 12:38 pm

mchughcb wrote:Guys have mods now so you don't need to move the thumb to the right of the stock to activate the lever.

Is this a legal mod?
I'm thinking of the moron that modded a straight-pull gun to be a faux pump-gun to avoid having to use his shooting hand to operate it.
Last edited by bladeracer on 31 Oct 2021, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 31 Oct 2021, 1:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Guys have mods now so you don't need to move the thumb to the right of the stock to activate the lever.

Is this a legal mod?
I'm thinking of the moron that nodded a straight-pull gun to be a faux pump-gun to avoid having to use his shooting hand to operate it.

The FABA kit for the Warwick WFA1 is essentially a pump kit but still legally a bolt action(in QLD at least) because you are still using your hand to cycle the bolt as the kit is attached to the bolt handle and the kit only requires an allen key so it is not permeant. A true pump action slides to cycle the action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWr7EGx8ems
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Is this a legal mod?
I'm thinking of the moron that nodded a straight-pull gun to be a faux pump-gun to avoid having to use his shooting hand to operate it.

The FABA kit for the Warwick WFA1 is essentially a pump kit but still legally a bolt action(in QLD at least) because you are still using your hand to cycle the bolt as the kit is attached to the bolt handle and the kit only requires an allen key so it is not permeant. A true pump action slides to cycle the action.

Makes no difference on a rifle, pumps are not restricted, pump guns are.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Nov 2021, 7:19 am

bladeracer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Is this a legal mod?

I don't know mate. If it still keeps a rifle a bolt action it would still keep a shoty a bolt action
Last edited by Communism_Is_Cancer on 02 Nov 2021, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 01 Nov 2021, 8:04 am

bladeracer wrote:

Is this a legal mod?
I'm thinking of the moron that modded a straight-pull gun to be a faux pump-gun to avoid having to use his shooting hand to operate it.

So instead of pushing on the right, you push on the left. Can't see what the problem is. You still need to push the lever down to cycle the round.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 8:21 am

mchughcb wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Is this a legal mod?

So instead of pushing on the right, you push on the left. Can't see what the problem is. You still need to push the lever down to cycle the round.

Me either, but is it legal?
These things get through the loophole by not being semi-auto, but by forcing you to move your hand to operate them. Making mods that remove that requirement is likely great ammo for those trying to ban these designs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Nov 2021, 9:15 am

The UK had something I believe called a MARS action until they banned it over there. You pull the trigger a shot goes off leaving the bolt open then you pull the trigger again and that closes the bolt chambering a round. So for every second trigger pull you fire a round. Not a semi auto because it requires 2 trigger pulls to fire a shot not one. A rather good technological advancement if you ask me.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 01 Nov 2021, 9:23 am

bladeracer wrote:
mchughcb wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Is this a legal mod?

Me either, but is it legal?
These things get through the loophole by not being semi-auto, but by forcing you to move your hand to operate them. Making mods that remove that requirement is likely great ammo for those trying to ban these designs.

Would you like free legal advice? Well sorry I'm not in the business of free legal advice.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 10:27 am

mchughcb wrote:
Would you like free legal advice? Well sorry I'm not in the business of free legal advice.

I'm not interested in legal advice. I'm asking _you_ if a modification that you are suggesting is a good thing is actually legal. If you have no idea then say so, at least the people you are recommending it to will be aware that it may not be.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by loudmouthmeatball » 02 Nov 2021, 6:55 am

Yeah, I'm not going to touch the action. It is fine how it is now.
loudmouthmeatball
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2021, 9:29 am

bladeracer wrote:

I don't know mate. If it still keeps a rifle a bolt action it would still keep a shoty a bolt action

Pump guns are not bolt-action and neither are pump rifles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Nov 2021, 7:53 pm

I've been interested in getting one of these, looks like a lot of fun. Can I ask where you got yours from? And on modifying the action, don't. Lawmakers don't care about common sense when it comes to firearms legislation, so don't give them ammunition to further gun bans, I'm with bladeracer on this one.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.