Miroku mk10 & first gun research

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Miroku mk10 & first gun research

Post by tharsis » 11 Jan 2022, 8:00 am

Long time reader, first time poster. Hoping someone can give me some pointers.

Just about to get my license (Vic) sometime in the next week, photo & paid last week so here's hoping!. Couple quick questions to keep up my investigation while I wait.

The miroku mk10 models seem to be AUS/NZ only as I don't see reviews or other details when looking online/youtube trying to work out what to look at & try. Does anyone know if it's known as something else or different model numbers overseas?

I think I saw somewhere say that the Mk10 is just a mk38 with vents between the barels and a few other minor mods, can anyone confirm?

I want to build out a small list of guns to see how they feel, find one that will fit while i get started again. Main use will be DTL to start with & ISSF eventually. No plans to hunt at this stage. Current short list is the Browing 525/725, Miroku mk10, beretta SPIII but I've been told for a taller (6'1") & larger bloke like me Browning/Miroku is a better overall fit. Happy to hear other suggestions.

Will try the club guns @ Melbourne gun club before I spend any cash, though I'm not sure exactly what they have.

Any other suggestions before I make the first investment? Any other ACTA clubs that may have other guns I should try?

Thanks for any feedback!
tharsis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Miroku mk10 & first gun research

Post by rc42 » 11 Jan 2022, 5:41 pm

Gun fit is really important for shotguns but it's meaningless until you have a consistent gun mount.

I'd suggest you have two options, the first is to get a basic Miroku sport model (I wouldn't go any cheaper unless forced by budget) and use it for the next year or so, by which time you'll be better at shotgun shooting and should have a consistent mount, you can then spend time and money on a new gun that fits properly and better suits your needs for the shoots that you like (sporting clays, Trap/DTL, Skeet, etc)

Alternatively, get some shooting lessons from a club, try the club guns and get some decent guidance on how to get a gun fitted for you, or at least which makes best fit you naturally.

Shotgun is a long journey of skill development, in the early days you really won't shoot any better with a more expensive gun, however, they are more pleasant to use and don't punish your shoulder as much.

The Miroku and common Browning models are essentially the same, even made in the same factory from the same parts but one has a 'Browning' label and is more expensive. Beretta and may others are nice too if they fit you.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tharsis » 11 Jan 2022, 6:55 pm

I shot a LOT as a junior, got to B grade as a surprise when I got 50 straight for auto-qualify. Was nudging A grade before i stopped, and was shooting with a old Mirouku field gun that had barrel issues and more.
Long story short, I have shot before, but that was 20 years ago. Think that means i'm basically back to noob?

Does my previous experience impact the "new shooter" cheper gun decision. I don't know if It will be muscle memory or hard won yet.
tharsis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Craig » 14 Jan 2022, 3:28 pm

If available, have a look at the Miroku ML11 AC (AllClays).
Craig
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patrickt » 14 Mar 2022, 12:13 pm

Hi Tharsis, had much luck? I’m a member of MGC too and found the Silver Pigeons too small for me. Had a Browning last time there and loved it. Have a MK10 Black Edition waiting for me. I loved the MK10 sporter as I’m also large. Had the comment on the weekend that the ML11 would be too small for me. Let me know how you went
Patrickt
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.