Adler B220 AW sights advice

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Adler B220 AW sights advice

Post by Bayan Dundee » 11 Jan 2022, 3:20 pm

Hi Guys,
Just chasing some advice before purchasing, looking around for a cheap knock about straight pull shotgun, do have some specific requirements, and am hoping someone who has purchased an Adler B220 All Weather can chime in.

I need to be able to accurately place slugs out to around 40/50 meters, is the basic ramp sight on the Adler accurate enough to group at that distance with shot placement, or are they something you have to adjust for massively in sighting, given that they are fixed ?

The models with the ghost ring sights do seem a bit flimsy and plasticy, and am not sure about their durability.

A red dot is not really an option that I want to have to choose.

Any advice on their suitability, or a possible cheap improvement someone has come up with to get it to work, would be appreciated. Thanks
Bayan Dundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Adler B220 AW sights advice

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 3:32 pm

Bayan Dundee wrote:Hi Guys,
Just chasing some advice before purchasing, looking around for a cheap knock about straight pull shotgun, do have some specific requirements, and am hoping someone who has purchased an Adler B220 All Weather can chime in.

I need to be able to accurately place slugs out to around 40/50 meters, is the basic ramp sight on the Adler accurate enough to group at that distance with shot placement, or are they something you have to adjust for massively in sighting, given that they are fixed ?

The models with the ghost ring sights do seem a bit flimsy and plasticy, and am not sure about their durability.

A red dot is not really an option that I want to have to choose.

Any advice on their suitability, or a possible cheap improvement someone has come up with to get it to work, would be appreciated. Thanks

I think for slugs you really do need some sight adjustment to get them to point of aim, but if you're really lucky you might fluke a slug choice that suits the gun.

The cheap reflex or red dot sights are a great option for this, and easily swapped on and off as required.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Jan 2022, 4:50 pm

Define accurate.
Open sights 12 gauge slugs at 50 meters. I can hit a dinner plate.
Most of the time.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Jan 2022, 4:50 pm

Some of the time
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bayan Dundee » 11 Jan 2022, 5:10 pm

womble wrote:Define accurate.
Most of the time.

heart/lung region of a scrub bull, dinner plate at 50 is definitely good enough, just concerned that the fixed sight is more for placing shot loads than solids and will not be positioned correctly, trying to remember which brand of solid you have just loaded, and the correction you have to make up/down and left/right is not something I want in that situation.
Is that with the fixed sights on a B220 all weather?
As mentioned in another post, a red dot is not an option, stick out to far and are in the way, micro dot like on my handgun is smaller, but useless in the rain and lenses frequently gets covered in debris.
Bayan Dundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by womble » 11 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm

I dont have the Adler b220 no. I like the look of the rifle sights on the all weather though. Each to their own but I’d be very happy with that.
Just have to work out how much of the blade you want visible in the v of the rear for the distance. Or how high you need the middle dot.

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Jan 2022, 5:45 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm

Bayan Dundee wrote:
womble wrote:Define accurate.
Most of the time.

heart/lung region of a scrub bull, dinner plate at 50 is definitely good enough, just concerned that the fixed sight is more for placing shot loads than solids and will not be positioned correctly, trying to remember which brand of solid you have just loaded, and the correction you have to make up/down and left/right is not something I want in that situation.
Is that with the fixed sights on a B220 all weather?
As mentioned in another post, a red dot is not an option, stick out to far and are in the way, micro dot like on my handgun is smaller, but useless in the rain and lenses frequently gets covered in debris.

I can't find pics of the sights on the B220 (unless you mean that extremely basic notch and blade setup with zero adjustment), but the B230 has a rail with what appears to be an adjustable sight. But if you have a rail just put a cheap M16A2 rear sight on it. The B230 has a tall front sight though which might be attached permanently, but a barrel shouldn't be expensive, I think my Dickenson 20" Tactical barrel was $120 with front sight.

Agreed about optics, there are times when they are worse than having no sights at all. And you might find you don't need any sights, your slug might shoot close enough to point of aim with a bead and nothing else. Once you find a load that works stick with it, don't mix loads in the field.

For scrub bulls I think I'd prefer a lever gun though so you don't have to take either hand off the gun and risk fumbling it. A lever .45/70 or pump .308 would be even better for that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2022, 7:18 pm

I have an Adler. I think it’s a 220 not used it for yonks. From memory I thought the rear sight was adjustable. I’ll have a look tonight again when I get home
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 12 Jan 2022, 3:57 am

Oh
If that rear sight on the all weather cant be tapped around. Yes that will be a problem.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wazz » 12 Jan 2022, 10:11 am

The B220 AW sights are not adjustable.
wazz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.