It Followed Me Home....

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

It Followed Me Home....

Post by bigpete » 17 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm

So......I just finally gave in and sold my baikal 45-70 double rifle to a mate who's been lusting after it for years,so I decided to put the money towards something completely out of left field....for me at least....

Behold ! In all its tacticool wankery goodness ! A Citadel BT3000 straight pull 12g shotgun ! All bow before the almighty and tremble in fear ! :lol:
:sarcasm:
Screenshot_20220117-184904_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220117-184904_Gallery.jpg (117.6 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
Last edited by bigpete on 17 Jan 2022, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: It Followed Me Home....

Post by BenniBoiBlep » 17 Jan 2022, 6:52 pm

Haha followed you home hey. Love the colours.
BenniBoiBlep
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm

Shame on you Pete , you sold a 4570 double rifle and bought a straitpull shotgun .book yourself into hospital for some scans to check what’s goin on up there , and in maybe 3 months I might be able to start talking to u again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 17 Jan 2022, 8:15 pm

Blr243 wrote:Shame on you Pete , you sold a 4570 double rifle and bought a straitpull shotgun .book yourself into hospital for some scans to check what’s goin on up there , and in maybe 3 months I might be able to start talking to u again

The last sentence worries me not. And after the bulls**t and money I spent trying to get the double shooting,I was almost glad to see it go. Also,if he ever sells it,I get first dibs. Fourthly,the old 45-70 doesn't impress me much anyway.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 18 Jan 2022, 2:51 am

bigpete wrote:I had a look at one of these today,and honestly surprised myself by actually liking it ! Didn't like the sights though

Well you did say you liked it
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Jan 2022, 7:02 am

Well,as an update,fired 6 28gm target loads through it this morning and its decided it doesn't want to cock,so its being returned
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Jan 2022, 2:18 pm

More of an update...it was user error. Now that I'm working out its foibles,I'm beginning to really enjoy it. Its phenomenally accurate with slugs too,enough that I may even scope it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 19 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm

I like happy endings
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 19 Jan 2022, 4:58 pm

Good to hear you got it sorted mate! I had the same troubles when I had mine. I enjoyed it a lot then sold to a mate who liked it and ended up getting an Adler B220 later on to fill the void. Basically the same gun as far as I can tell... but I do miss my BT3000.

All that aside there is definitely a bit of a learning curve. They're basically a neutered semi-automatic shotgun. Counting rounds and knowing when you're on the last so you can perform an easy tactical reload is definitely a thing or you have to go through the combo of releases and buttons to get the thing working again. Watching a skilled operator work through that sequence is nothing short of amazing.

The below is a Beretta semi-auto, but the same principle applies to our straight-pulls.

https://youtu.be/RI9wCsFKW9E?t=547
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigpete » 20 Jan 2022, 3:51 pm

Well,I just lashed out on a konus reflex sight for it,and found out it takes adler chokes.....happy days !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 21 Jan 2022, 5:28 am

womble wrote:I like happy endings

Is that :lol: like when you get a happy ending at a massage parlour?
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Feb 2022, 1:55 pm

Following this up....after 2 weeks solid bird control and well over 500 rounds through it,including slugs,3" 00 buckshot, 2¾" aaa and 00 buckshot, and various other things, I can say a few things.
For starters you can't baby it,but treated briskly it loads and fires with monotonous regularity. But try to baby it and it'll cause problems. To start with it wouldn't load 3" or some high brass into the mag very easily or even at all,but now it does. The ability to change chokes is a God send I'm not used to but have taken full advantage of. The stock sights are ******.....the rear ghost ring can be moved at least 2mm side to side with your finger.....making being windage adjustable totally pointless. I bought a reflex sight and used that for a week,very handy,but too slow to use when I need to take quick shots,and was terrible for shooting towards any light source.
Now for the real gripe. The charging handles. You get 2,a long and a short one,and they can go in either side. From the get go,the short ones bolt knob was stripped,so I got a replacement. Then the day before Australia day, the bolt knob on the long handle snapped clean off. Luckily a mate welded a new thicker one on. Then last Tuesday I received the replacement short handle,and 40 shots later that ones bolt knob snapped off too. Also,somehow where the charging handle goes into the bolt can come loose and pull out slightly,which either stops the gun firing or jams the bolt. Its easy enough to knock back into place,but I have had it fall completely out which sucks.
On the whole its not too bad,I dont have to worry about looking after it or scratching it,I can shoot it right and left handed,in fact everything bar the charging handles seem to work as expected.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Don_Stevenson » 04 Feb 2022, 2:42 pm

Hey Pete, thanks for the info, I'm eyeing off one of these for the near future and a review is always handy.

Two questions

1. Do you think the charging handle issue could be fixed with a beefier handle machined up as that shouldn't be too much hassle to get done.

2. What sort of birds were you shooting and what did they do to deserve lobbing slugs at them :lol:
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Feb 2022, 5:09 pm

1. Yes,it can be fixed,but really it shouldn't need to be. They've taken a 6mm ( approximately ) bolt stem,turned it down to 3mm,then threaded THAT,leaving around 1.5mm of metal to take the brunt of working the bolt. Stupidity. Here's what I did,and will do to the other handle
Screenshot_20220204-173452_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220204-173452_Gallery.jpg (301.93 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

2. Genyornis, the demon duck of doom. Big problem in our vineyard this year
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.