Shotgun suggestions for new clay shooter

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shotgun suggestions for new clay shooter

Post by JimTom » 27 Feb 2022, 3:24 pm

G’day gents

I am just entering the world of clay shooting and I am after suggestions for a suitable shotgun sub $3k if possible. Do I need a specific type ie, Trap gun etc, or is a sportier better as an all rounder.
Thanks gents.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Shotgun suggestions for new clay shooter

Post by Mattraff » 27 Feb 2022, 3:59 pm

You need to decide on the discipline you want to shoot then buy a gun to suit. A sporter will allow you to shoot everything but is not ideal for DTL/Trap. Trap guns are heavier and shoot to a different point of aim so are really only suited to trap although I have used mine for skeet, sporting, tower and field shooting. You then need to find the action style/gun that suits you and feels comfortable to start with. Going down to your local club you will find the vast majority of shooters use Beretta guns. The reasons being many from first rate service to dependability. A trip to your local club will also allow you to se which discipline you like and give you the chance to look at and even use a heap of different guns bearing in mind that most will be fitted to each individual shooter.
The budget you have set will unfortunately not get you a new gun that will last limiting you to the Turkish made ATA early model Beretta clones and the rest of the Turkish guns. You would be better off with a used gun from one of the trusted manufacturers like Miroku, Browning or Beretta. I have an old Beretta S682X that my son is now learning with that has fired well over 50,000 rounds and never required any repairs over the last 20 years I have owned it. If you can hold off and spend a little more on a gun that will last you many years.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 27 Feb 2022, 4:11 pm

I started in clay shooting last August and bought a Miroku Mk70 game that was on sale at the time, last month a bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon sporter because I wanted it, no other reason really.

You'll be told that the gun needs to fit you but until you know how to mount and hold it and develop a consistent mount you won't be able to tell whether it fits you or not. The good news is that guns are designed to be a close enough fit on 90% of people so for your first gun don't worry about it.
My suggestion would be to get a nice used gun until you have that consistent mount and know what you're looking for in a new gun, you can then sell it for little or no loss.

In terms of the type of gun, game, sporter, trap, the differences are actually very small and any will be fine for any discipline, especially for a beginner.

In general:
Game guns are lighter as they are made to be carried all day but this means recoil can be a little harsher as they are not intended for extended shooting sessions without breaks. The comb on the stock is generally very low so you don't usually see the rib when mounted and they shoot very flat.

Trap guns are heavier as they spend their time either waiting in a rack or being used for a relatively short shooting session and soak up recoil nicely, combs are high so your head is higher and you do see the rib, (ribs are wider to assist this), they generally shoot high so you can hit clays that are rising and heading away from you without losing sight of them behind the barrel.

Sporter guns are a compromise between the two, the 'jack of all trades' sort of thing and are probably the best choice for a first gun for typical sporting clays type sessions. So, unless you know that you will mostly hunting or mostly DTL trap shooting I'd recommend a sporter but any type of gun can get great scores in any discipline.

Other things to be aware of:
Auto safety - is a pain in the backside, understandable in a hunting gun but best avoided for clay shooting.
Adjustable chokes - you'll want these, fixed choke guns are generally fixed purpose too, extended chokes just look prettier and can be easier to see what's inserted. Chokes tighter than Modified (1/2) generally can't be used with steel shot and some ranges may require that.
Bead types and central beads - don't matter, you won't be looking at them anyway when shooting
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 27 Feb 2022, 4:27 pm

Thanks for your input gents, I have taken all advice onboard. Great info from you both, sincerely appreciated fellas.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mystyler » 16 Mar 2022, 1:36 pm

Hi JimTom,

I've recently been in your position. Went around and around in circles. Ended up picking a few up at the gun stores and the ones I liked best were the Miroku ML11, Browning 725 and Miroku Mk38.

The 725 is outside your price range, but you can pick up the Mk38 for slightly less, and the ML11 for just slightly more.

Now, I also liked the Beretta 694 High Rib, but our budgets combined wouldn't get one between us! :violin:

I've settled on the ML11. The Mk10 is also a solid gun, and you can pick them up for just over $2000. Don't look at the Deluxe models though, unless you've got $6000 burning a hole in your pocket!

The Miroku Mk10 has been my borrow-a-gun at the club, alongside the Beretta 686, which can also be found for sub $3000. I would have been happy with either, but the ML11 isn't much more and kinda felt like it mixed the 725 with the 694, but for less. I hope that makes sense!
Mystyler
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 17 Mar 2022, 7:45 am

Thanks mate. Still undecided. I have been looking at the Beretta silver pigeon, and fabarm axis 12.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Harronek » 18 Mar 2022, 5:09 am

Get either a Beretta 686 or Miroku MK 10 sporter with an adjustable comb .
Depending on your size and physical strength etc go for either a 30 or 32 inch barrel with multi chokes .
Then forget about buying any more bells and whistles and just shoot it for a few years .
Then all you need to concentrate on is the target and buying more ammo .
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Mar 2022, 6:56 am

Adjustable comb a must I think.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Craig » 20 Mar 2022, 8:01 pm

I got my Miroku ML11 All Clays for $2800 new. A brilliant gun for the price. Grade 3 timber and adjustable comb. I use it for sporting and skeet. Would be excellent for trap as well but I don’t bother; life’s too short too waste on DTL.
I see they are now selling for $3400 at my local shop which is still a very good price. I’ve seen them advertised at other shops closer to $4000.
Having said all that my son hits a lot more clays than I with his Akkar Churchill adj. comb. A Beretta knockoff for $1300 new with a nice case.
Whatever you decide on, highly recommend getting an adjustable comb.
Craig
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.