Getting chokes fitted

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Getting chokes fitted

Post by ozfisher71 » 25 Apr 2014, 1:33 pm

I have a 1970's Lanber Skeet 12ga.

I was thinking of getting a new u/o, but a mate suggested getting the barrels fitted with chokes.

I have had the gun for nearly 30 years so it would be good to be able to give it a new lease on life.

I was wishing to hear from people who have had this done and also who would be recommended to see about having this work carried out.

I am located north of Melbourne.
ozfisher71
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Getting chokes fitted.

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

I'm not familiar with the Lambert Skeet but your barrels will need enough wall thickness to allow threads, shoulders and relief to be cut.

You might be luckey enough to get away with it with your gun, I was'nt.

In the end not having chokes has its advantages. two less components to be forgotton about have themselvs rust in place and a whole heap of decisions that you dont need to ( can't ) make about wich chokes you want to use.

If you are unable to have chokes fitted you will most certianly be able to have your fixed chokes modified to preform differently, In my case I opted to find cartriges that performed as I wanted.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 25 Apr 2014, 6:33 pm

i'm new to shotguns but from what i've read a skeet choke only has about .005" of constriction and is't possible there's not enough "meat" there to bore and thread your barrels for any other purpose

have a look at the barrels, i have a single barrel Beretta with a full choke. i t has a sleeve fixed in the muzzle which could possibly be removed and a new one made and fitted. your gun may be the same if it happens that lanber produces several guns with different fixed chokes

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 25 Apr 2014, 8:16 pm

I went down this track many years ago with a full and modified 87, I won't quote prices but at the time it wasn't much dearer to just buy another Lanber(I am a big fan of the old Lanbers), Briley chokes can be fitted to pretty much anything and I have seen a few high grade guns benefit from them.

Mialls at Frankston look after them, worth a call as they will set you straight all the rest of us will only be guessing.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by VICHunter » 26 Apr 2014, 5:08 pm

Hey mate,

As far as a smith to do the work for you, I've used Kudu Services in Montrose for a few things for my rifles. That's north-east'ish Melbourne, close enough to you?

Not actually sure if he does shotguns as I never asked. Happy with his work having a few rifles better and 1 repair also. And cheaper than other quotes I was given for the same work.

Anyway, just a gunsmith I've been happy with so there you go.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.