Impala plus straight pull

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Impala plus straight pull

Post by MtnMan » 23 Apr 2022, 6:15 pm

Been looking at various straight pull shotguns. The Adler B220 AW being the pick at the moment.
However the Impala range has piqued my interest but I can find next to no info about them. Gun shop websites simply have a generic description which covers all the different models. Youtube is mainly Impala semi auto stuff from USA.

School me on the Impala range. looking for something like the Adler B220AW. 20" barrel.

Hit me!
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Impala plus straight pull

Post by womble » 23 Apr 2022, 6:20 pm

They cost more.
The charging handle falls of.
That’s about it.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 23 Apr 2022, 6:54 pm

Hard to beat the dicko
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 23 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm

seems like every straight pull has its problems.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 23 Apr 2022, 7:35 pm

I think the finish on the Dickinson is easilly on par with the impalla now
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 23 Apr 2022, 8:01 pm

what is the finish on the all black dicko's? Blued, cerakoted?
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 24 Apr 2022, 5:23 am

Can’t find that info, would assume blued.
Rebranded as Templeton Arms https://sjstradingco.com.au/all-brands/templeton-arms.html

Things to consider if its your first straight pull.
Firstly the Dickinson action is as good as they get.
Charging handle left or right, your preference. I think the Dickinson is interchangeable, hopefully someone else can confirm.
If your preference is right the length of pull to work the action comfortably whilst not losing your sight picture is something you need to try out in store. You need longer than average arms or a telescopic buttstock. The dickenson does offer that option, albeit ugly as hell.
A lot of people are happy with left handed charging and not hitting anything.
Anyway you need to get down to your local and try one on. Once you’ve hot your length of pull sorted you have to consider your comb height. The open sights are pretty great, but you might still opt for a red dot.
They are an impressive workhorse though and well renowned.
The straight pulls take a bit of getting used to but they grow on you if you put in the time to get used to them.
And even with synthetic stocks, recoil is acceptable for a 12 gauge. Definitely not as hard as a side by side or over under.
Weight and ease of carry, not really a walk around all day gun. Great for quads and utes. Pretty rugged units.
Cleaning and maintenance, not so bad. Pretty easy to strip down. They’re just a deactivated inertia shotgun.

There are other brands also worthy of your consideration, quite a long list now, but they’re all much the same. I just think the overall finish on the dickenson pretty good. The timber is not bad either for turkey.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 24 Apr 2022, 6:15 am

Right hand charging here. The you tube videos of right handed shooters cycling it with their left hands looks awkward and half dangerous. IMO you have a chance of discharge with only one hand on the gun as their finger stays on the trigger while cycling the action.

Simple info like finish, weight, etc is very hard to find on all these straight pulls.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 24 Apr 2022, 7:34 am

Dickinson is right side only charge
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 24 Apr 2022, 7:46 am

On Womble's link it lists "adjustable shims" on the specs for the T1000. Anyone care to elaborate?
The lack of info on these things is bloody annoying. No one lists the full features of anything.
They must rely on peoples eyes glazing over when they see a pistol grip, pic rail and some other tacticool crap as their sales points.
Try to delve into them and you hit a wall
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 24 Apr 2022, 11:58 am

My Dickinson came with adjustable shims for the buttstock that can alter the cast etc. Not by much though
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 24 Apr 2022, 12:43 pm

ok cool.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Apr 2022, 2:27 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Dickinson is right side only charge

Unless you by the left-handed model
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 24 Apr 2022, 5:24 pm

i'll leave the left hand model for the molly dooks
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Apr 2022, 6:04 pm

MtnMan wrote:i'll leave the left hand model for the molly dooks

I wonder why that is once my son watched me using mine because I'm left eye dominant and it's a right-handed action he ordered one in left-hand so he could use it just as quickly and more accurate unless you got arms four foot long .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 24 Apr 2022, 6:19 pm

,yes you will need at least your right arm to be about 4 foot long.
Or telescopic buttstock. Or maybe fab up some sort of extension.
That ar15 looking buttstock is quite long.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Grumpy » 25 Apr 2022, 12:58 am

I found the left handed action works good for me despite being right handed & right eye dominant. I was bought up with pump action shotguns so while different & requiring practice, left handed cycling feels more natural to me.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 25 Apr 2022, 2:01 am

Grumpy wrote:I found the left handed action works good for me despite being right handed & right eye dominant. I was bought up with pump action shotguns so while different & requiring practice, left handed cycling feels more natural to me.

Me too I'm right-handed normally but because I'm left eye dominant I favour the left I can shoot left and right handed but just feels natural all my rifles are right hand Bolt .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cjdblr » 25 Apr 2022, 12:56 pm

Before you buy a straight pull, check out the new bushmeister lever release shotgun. Just got one and it looks good. I think this action will take over.
cjdblr
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.