Adler Straight Pull trigger assembly falling out.

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Adler Straight Pull trigger assembly falling out.

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 12 May 2022, 5:46 pm

Hi Everyone,
My Adler straight pull trigger assembly has been falling out because the pin holding it in becomes loose under recoil.
Before sending it off to the shop under warranty. (The shop is 2 hours drive away and not known for prompt efficient service) I would love to know of any hints to fix the issue.
What I have researched so far tells me that the Adler has an Aluminium receiver (Aluminum in some parts of the world) and the pin is steel, hence it will "stretch" the hole and the pin will fall out.
I have been considering using a strong epoxy (2 pack glues etc) to keep the pin in place.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Adler Straight Pull trigger assembly falling out.

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2022, 6:08 pm

jovialjosie2002 wrote:Hi Everyone,
My Adler straight pull trigger assembly has been falling out because the pin holding it in becomes loose under recoil.
Before sending it off to the shop under warranty. (The shop is 2 hours drive away and not known for prompt efficient service) I would love to know of any hints to fix the issue.
What I have researched so far tells me that the Adler has an Aluminium receiver (Aluminum in some parts of the world) and the pin is steel, hence it will "stretch" the hole and the pin will fall out.
I have been considering using a strong epoxy (2 pack glues etc) to keep the pin in place.

Can you put some tape over the ends of it? I do that with some screws prone to coming loose. Does the pin have a groove around it that a spring clip fits in to hold it in place? Perhaps it's in backwards?

Seems to be a very common issue if shops keep them in stock.
https://safarifirearms.com.au/adler-a110-trigger-guard-disassembly-pin-sku-ad27/
https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/adler-a110-trigger-guard-disassembly-pin/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 12 May 2022, 6:46 pm

Hi Bladeracer,
The pin is not in backwards and I can't put a spring clip on it.
I have read somewhere on another forum of people replacing the pin with a slightly larger one, however, it doesn't work for long, the Aluminium hole will eventually get larger (under recoil) and the (new and larger) pin will fall out.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 12 May 2022, 6:48 pm

Hi Bladeracer,
Your idea about the tape might work.
Thank you
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 12 May 2022, 7:33 pm

possible to use loctite retaining compound?
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 12 May 2022, 7:52 pm

Hi MtnMan,
Is Loctite as strong as a 2 pack adhesive like araldite (super strength) that takes 24 hours to cure?
The only minor issue I have with the super strength araldite is that it melts above 160 Celsius ( 320 Fahrenheit) however, I doubt that part of the firearm will ever get that hot. I've used araldite on a 410 barrel to hold a weaver rail and it never fell off until I put it on a direct gas stove.
Does Loctite melt? and at what temperature?
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Larry » 12 May 2022, 7:59 pm

If you make a new pin,make it with one end as a flat top nail would be one end and make it king enough to put a cir clip on the other end.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 May 2022, 8:17 pm

I wouldn't be doing much with it other than return it.
Start messing around with it and you'll kiss the warranty good bye.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 12 May 2022, 8:45 pm

Larry wrote:If you make a new pin,make it with one end as a flat top nail would be one end and make it king enough to put a cir clip on the other end.

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the input, other forums have also suggested using old drill bits for a new pin, they are hardened steel, hence, strong. The problem with making a new pin is.....I'd have "stretch" the hole and make the hole larger and void the warranty.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Larry » 12 May 2022, 10:24 pm

Once you start f ing with the thing yep, the warranty is gone, You got to decide when and if you think they can fix it or yourself DIY would have a better solution. You might want to drill out the holes that are being worn and fit them with a steel collar so the pin doesn't wear the softer material.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by deye243 » 13 May 2022, 2:55 am

Just use a ball peen hammer
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 13 May 2022, 8:29 am

"If I had to"
Consider bushing the receiver with appropriate size steel dowel pins, glue them in with Devcon or such.
Use an interference fit drill bit shank for the pin.
Problem is you have steel flogging around in alloy and steel will always win.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2022, 10:12 am

jovialjosie2002 wrote:
Larry wrote:If you make a new pin,make it with one end as a flat top nail would be one end and make it king enough to put a cir clip on the other end.

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the input, other forums have also suggested using old drill bits for a new pin, they are hardened steel, hence, strong. The problem with making a new pin is.....I'd have "stretch" the hole and make the hole larger and void the warranty.

I use new drill bits to make pins, but a new pin isn't going to stay in place any better than an old one if there is nothing there to retain it. The Dickinson has a wire spring inside the action that clips into a groove in the pin, very simple and why Adler didn't do that I have no idea. I would just put a strip of black tape on each side of the receiver and as long as it stays in place during use just leave it at that.

I did see a video of the lever-action disassembly and they have pins that are drilled and tapped for a lock screw in one end. You could find somebody with a lever-action and see if those pins will fit the straight pull. Or have a pin made that way to fit yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzY5ENnBGg
The disassembly pins are at 1:30 in the video.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 13 May 2022, 3:15 pm

Replace with brass rod of the same size. Centre punch each end so that it cannot easily displace. Should be kinder on the alloy frame, provided it is strong enough to do the job. If it is just a retaining pin, should be no problem, but if it is a pivot pin you may want to have a few replacements. Keep the original pin in a safe place for installation if any warranty work is required.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by womble » 13 May 2022, 4:29 pm

Sneaky and clever ob1
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 15 May 2022, 9:10 am

ob1 wrote:Replace with brass rod of the same size. Centre punch each end so that it cannot easily displace. Should be kinder on the alloy frame, provided it is strong enough to do the job. If it is just a retaining pin, should be no problem, but if it is a pivot pin you may want to have a few replacements. Keep the original pin in a safe place for installation if any warranty work is required.

Thankyou for today's edification.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2022, 11:19 am

ob1 wrote:Replace with brass rod of the same size. Centre punch each end so that it cannot easily displace. Should be kinder on the alloy frame, provided it is strong enough to do the job. If it is just a retaining pin, should be no problem, but if it is a pivot pin you may want to have a few replacements. Keep the original pin in a safe place for installation if any warranty work is required.

Except that the brass is harder than the aluminium (steel, aluminium and brass are all alloys).
Increasing the size of the ends will certainly keep it from coming loose, but once you push it through to disassemble the action it'll tear the receiver holes out even bigger.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 15 May 2022, 3:40 pm

deye243 wrote:Just use a ball peen hammer

Hi All,
I may have fixed the issue. Deye243 was on the money.
I gave the Adler to a toolmaker who rested one end on a solid metal surface, then, placed a ball bearing over the flared end of the pin. Secured it with tape, then hit it with a hammer. The same can be done with a ball peen hammer.
It appears fixed. I will have to test it at the range.
My toolmaker also said that the Aluminium receiver was of exceptional quality and he originally thought it was steel. A magnet proved it wasn't steel.
He did not recommend using Araldite/Loctite etc due to the brittleness of the product.
I wonder how many other people will have this issue with their Adler, thankfully the fix was easy.
Thank you everyone for your opinions.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.