410's useful?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

410's useful?

Post by mickb » 28 May 2022, 3:34 pm

thoughts on the 410 shotgun fellas? useful or a novelty? My experience with them growing up was single shots as a shed gun for vermin, pigs in a trap, or even sharks pulled up to a boat. The advantage being you could pistol them one handed into tight spaces and being cheap as dirt didnt care if they got beat up, rusty or dropped overboard. Actually shotgunning/fowling I have no experience but I dont own a 12ga either.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: 410's useful?

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 May 2022, 3:56 pm

You have already described many of the uses of the 410, then add it's use as a snake gun, training young people, use by peoploe with shoulder or back injuries who find even 20g too much. I knew a bloke whose wife, a very small woman, used an O/U 410 for trap and could keep pace with the rest of us and also took her bag of duck with it, not to mention the hares and rabbits. The fact it is still in production and selling when a lot of other gauges have fallen by the wayside suggests it is certainly useful for many shooters, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2022, 4:40 pm

They are way more useful than people think,used within their limits.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 May 2022, 5:16 pm

mickb wrote:thoughts on the 410 shotgun fellas? useful or a novelty? My experience with them growing up was single shots as a shed gun for vermin, pigs in a trap, or even sharks pulled up to a boat. The advantage being you could pistol them one handed into tight spaces and being cheap as dirt didnt care if they got beat up, rusty or dropped overboard. Actually shotgunning/fowling I have no experience but I dont own a 12ga either.

Worth doing a PtA and taking up room in the safe, no I don't think so :-)
Had one as a kid but I'm sure I never used it for anything useful. I did shoot a five-round group with slugs once, and it wasn't terrible, but not good enough for hunting anything.
Get a .45-70 and load some shotshells for that, when the shotshell novelty wears off at least you still have a .45-70 :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 28 May 2022, 5:26 pm

Less shot per case, more money per case.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2022, 5:28 pm

I had one as an adult and killed a heap of rabbits,crows,pigeons,and a fox with it....they work,and work well. Dang,imagine if I could have used the 3" shells in it instead of 12gm at 1090fps jobbies....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2022, 6:05 pm

If I had rural property and poisonous snakes getting to close to chickens dogs or kids
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2022, 6:15 pm

Blr243 wrote:If I had rural property and poisonous snakes getting to close to chickens dogs or kids

Thats what a stick is for
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 28 May 2022, 7:04 pm

Has it’s uses.
Moving target isn’t one of them.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2022, 7:19 pm

womble wrote:Has it’s uses.
Moving target isn’t one of them.

Huh. Guess I should have let all the stuff I shot with them on the move know that prior to killing them lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hoppa 101 » 29 May 2022, 10:24 am

Fantastic little cartridge. I have a single shot H&R with a red dot sight on it that I use for work on corellas and rabbits etc. Just remember it has less shot coming out the end so keep the range within the pattern your gun throws .
Animal Control Contractor
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 31 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Thanks fellas. Interestingly I found some 410 ammo at the local gunstore throwing 3/4 oz of shot. Thats a near 20gauge pay load. Cant remember the brand but it was some kind of Euro. Also some 3" buckshot loads holding 5 pellets of 000 buck. Thats about a 2/3 ounce load. According to the yanks it groups tightly at range because the pellets being .38cal are stacked singly in the case. It really would only be a trip down memory lane for me to own one as I dont think there is anything I need to shoot with one these days. :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jun 2022, 4:37 am

I bought one as a teenager on a little ten acre farm but no use now. I don’t even use my 12 gauge
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Jun 2022, 5:17 am

mickb wrote:Thanks fellas. Interestingly I found some 410 ammo at the local gunstore throwing 3/4 oz of shot. Thats a near 20gauge pay load. Cant remember the brand but it was some kind of Euro. Also some 3" buckshot loads holding 5 pellets of 000 buck. Thats about a 2/3 ounce load. According to the yanks it groups tightly at range because the pellets being .38cal are stacked singly in the case. It really would only be a trip down memory lane for me to own one as I dont think there is anything I need to shoot with one these days. :D

I've used the buckshot loads ( and made them ).....don't believe the yanks,its still only a 20 to 3om proposition
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 9.3x64 » 01 Jun 2022, 5:39 am

Geez, I can’t believe anyone doubts the 410.
My family fed themselves for years during tough times with a 410 and 22 shorts.
Ammunition was cheap and enough to put the meat on the table, and it didn’t scare everything off.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Border_Bloke » 04 Jun 2022, 10:56 am

When I was 10 years old (in the 1970’s) we moved onto a property and bought a single barrelled CBC .410 for snakes. That little 410 lived behind the back door and killed untold starlings & Indian Myna birds, as well as a few rabbits and snakes. They’re only really good out to about 20m or 30m but it did the job we bought it for.

They do make a good camp gun or farmhouse gun, but that’s about it.

I used to walk to the next farm and where the local clay target club was and even busted a few clays with it (not many though). We bought a .22 a few years later which was much better for rabbits.

I think it cost $35 or $40 new and Dad & I walked up to the police station and payed $12 for a gun license then walked back to the gun shop to buy it.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm

Load up a 410 with tungsten #7 and you'll know all about it.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 93x64mm » 05 Jun 2022, 7:06 am

The little 410 is a great little pigeon gun, yes it can sort out a lot of other 'problem's including the feathery & slithery kind. It is great for the young ones to learn on without bowling them over. Mine is an old Harrington & Richardson Model 1915 which dates it from 1922 to 1936, yes she's not pretty but its still tight & I don't run it a lot or use 'hot' loads. I learnt off a very similar Model 1900, took a few pigeons with that one - pests as well! I've even seen a cousin bowl over a good sized wallaby with 4 shot, head shot at close range - it made a good muzzle flash on dusk!
I got some Magteck brass cases a while back & use them to load up shells. It's a bit agricultural but they'll last forever.
Trouble is finding AR2205 now & wads (even you can make these yourself easy enough with felt & cardboard)

Best to get one of the 'new' ones, they're made a lot stronger than the old H&R's, Mine I happened upon some years back now, I was chasing one for many, many years to teach my grandniece & nephews. They can shoot it no worries at all!
Learnt that the little beggars are right handed but have a left master eye as they shot off to the side!

Remember these aren't a 12guage, they have a limited range, best around the 15-20m & use No9's for pigeons as they aren't heavily built & the pattern is more consistent (well in my gun) to limit blown patterns.
Try one, ever gun cupboard should have one
My wife even breaks a few clays with it - but that's another tale!
93x64mm
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Irish9 » 28 Sep 2022, 9:22 am

My little Stevens single barrel 410 has been my main farm gun for many years, very handy little shotguns in my opinion. Using decent shells, Winchester or Nobelsport mostly, it's pretty efficient at flattening most small things out to it's max range.

Yes it's a slightly smaller range than a 12 gauge but it also sprays around a lot less pellets in and around sheds plus the chooks don't go off the lay as long after firing it in their shed ;-) It's rusty, beaten and battered and somehow got splotches of paint on it but it is 100% reliable and well worth having around.
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by snag » 21 Oct 2022, 4:05 pm

My little coach gun is terrific around the house and sheds, takes care of business without deafening me and can be fired from any position without recoil issues. Ammo is not cheap, but a couple of boxes goes a long way on pests.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.