Steel shot

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Steel shot

Post by Shootermick » 12 Jun 2022, 7:46 am

Just a quick question today.
Can you put steel shot through an older shotgun? A Winchester 37A in particular.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Steel shot

Post by rc42 » 12 Jun 2022, 8:40 am

Check the barrel proof marks, there are lots of guides to help you, here's the first one a search returned, there might be better ones
https://www.gwct.org.uk/proof-marks-for ... ree-guide/

Also, be mindful of chokes, a half choke for lead shot is effectively a full choke for steel, if you use a 3/4 or full (lead shot) chokes with steel shot it could destroy your barrel
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jun 2022, 12:53 pm

Use Bismuth, much safer
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Jun 2022, 9:27 am

I’ll bite …what’s Bismuth …. Educate me…. :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 15 Jun 2022, 3:50 pm

flashman wrote:I’ll bite …what’s Bismuth …. Educate me…. :D

Introduced in the early 1990s, bismuth-tin alloy was the first nontoxic steel substitute to arrive after the lead shot ban. With superior density to steel (9.6 grams per cubic centimetre compared to steel's 7.86), bismuth alloy pellets hit harder than steel and were safe in old guns that steel shot could damage.

Only issue is its about $4 or $5 a shot.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 15 Jun 2022, 9:19 pm

Fionn wrote:
flashman wrote:I’ll bite …what’s Bismuth …. Educate me…. :D

Introduced in the early 1990s, bismuth-tin alloy was the first nontoxic steel substitute to arrive after the lead shot ban. With superior density to steel (9.6 grams per cubic centimetre compared to steel's 7.86), bismuth alloy pellets hit harder than steel and were safe in old guns that steel shot could damage.

Only issue is its about $4 or $5 a shot.

"$4 or $5 a shot" is a deal breaker. $100 - $125 for a round of clays (if you don't miss). $1,000 - $1,250 for a slab. Not going to happen - surely?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 15 Jun 2022, 9:37 pm

Had bismuth for the 12G for a while. All I can remember was it was expensive. Never used all of it and ended up selling it for what I paid for it.

These days I just buy a new shotgun that can handle steel. No use mucking about with clunkers for duck shooting.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.