Merkel model 8

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Merkel model 8

Post by Shootermick » 19 Jun 2022, 9:11 am

I’m looking at a Merkel model 8 sxs, mid 70’s make, choked half and half, which I think is modified??
Would an older shotgun like this handle steel shot?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Merkel model 8

Post by bigpete » 19 Jun 2022, 12:22 pm

I doubt it would be designed to handle steel shot
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 19 Jun 2022, 1:16 pm

bigpete wrote:I doubt it would be designed to handle steel shot

I’d really like an older sxs, but I also want one that would handle steel shot, I guess I can’t have the best of both worlds. Might have to keep looking for a new one.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 19 Jun 2022, 3:12 pm

Mick,
if you shoot standard steel loads through that Merkel Model 8 (choked half and half) in theory it should be OK - but i would definitely ask a reputable shotgun gunsmith first.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Jun 2022, 5:34 pm

Shootermick wrote:

I’d really like an older sxs, but I also want one that would handle steel shot, I guess I can’t have the best of both worlds. Might have to keep looking for a new one.

I know what you mean,I love old shotguns. There is a cz model I'd buy in a heart beat if I could find one,I believe its called the hammer classic, its got screw in chokes,3" chambers,is steel proofed,and has hammers. Which i LOVE. I'd trade my AyA ejector for one in a heart beat
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 19 Jun 2022, 5:53 pm

bigpete wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

I know what you mean,I love old shotguns. There is a cz model I'd buy in a heart beat if I could find one,I believe its called the hammer classic, its got screw in chokes,3" chambers,is steel proofed,and has hammers. Which i LOVE. I'd trade my AyA ejector for one in a heart beat

I’m 99% sure from what I’ve read that the old Merkel won’t like steel shot. It was more a case of wishful thinking…
So, if I’m looking at new, there’s the Yildiz Elegant, CZ Bobwhite which is also Turkish with Huglu barrels, and Huglu, though I can’t seem to find many of them at the moment. I’m after hammerless too, and not keen on a Boito.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 19 Jun 2022, 5:54 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

I’m 99% sure from what I’ve read that the old Merkel won’t like steel shot. It was more a case of wishful thinking…
So, if I’m looking at new, there’s the Yildiz Elegant, CZ Bobwhite which is also Turkish with Huglu barrels, and Huglu, though I can’t seem to find many of them at the moment. I’m after hammerless too, and not keen on a Boito.

Yeah,boito is very.....blah.
They work....and that's about all you can say lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.