Plethora of Thumb release shotguns

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Plethora of Thumb release shotguns

Post by mchughcb » 18 Aug 2022, 5:54 pm

I see today another 2 Turkish models of Thumb release shotguns, one with a combo barrel set for $1K but are they better than the verney carron or bushmeister? Will this signal the end of the Turkish lever shotguns?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Plethora of Thumb release shotguns

Post by scoot » 18 Aug 2022, 6:57 pm

Lever actions got pushed down everyone's throat, then it's the straight pulls turn. Gotta come up with something "new" to sell more, more, more.........
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 18 Aug 2022, 7:31 pm

Hard to tell if any of these are tuneable gas systems or simple inertia operated. YouTube wont let anyone show how they operate these days either.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 18 Aug 2022, 7:36 pm

As long as it doesn't bust my knuckles cycling it.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 18 Aug 2022, 7:56 pm

I have a buckmaster pb12 I picked up last week
Seems fine, no issues cycling
Much prefer the button release on the buckmaster to the veloce/bushmeister
Got it in 20in & walnut, but pleasantly surprised for a turkish gun
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 19 Aug 2022, 7:43 am

The PLR 1000 seems to be going to hit the stores right about now.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 19 Aug 2022, 6:19 pm

mchughcb wrote:The PLR 1000 seems to be going to hit the stores right about now.

Would be interesting to see how the build quality differs between that and the bushmeister if at all
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 20 Aug 2022, 10:43 am

I'm already getting reports about feeding issues. I never had this problem with my winchester ranger 120 pump.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 21 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm

I think levers have died off with the introduction of the straight pulls. Lever action mechanisms aren't very conducive to large, rimmed, shotgun shells.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 22 Aug 2022, 2:20 pm

Lever action shotguns can allow shooters to cycle actions with only minor adjustments to grip between shots, this means faster and more accurate follow up shots, the lever release is even better in this regard than traditional lever actions. Straight pulls are certainly slower but they get to hold more shells in the tube and the established double (or triple) barrel break actions are by far the fastest but have the lowest capacity.

This part of Australian law is such nonsense, semi-auto and even pump shotguns should be available to all licensed shooters, the cycling speed differences are insignificant when considering criminal use of firearms but do matter for legitimate sports and hunting use. The blame for these laws lies with uneducated politicians and Hollywood movies.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wadeak1990 » 04 Sep 2022, 6:39 am

Just put a pta in and a deposit on a pointer LR1000, only thing that worries me is going of other lever release shotguns it’s likely to require a fairly heavy load to cycle the action…..
Wadeak1990
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2022, 12:24 pm

Wadeak1990 wrote:Just put a pta in and a deposit on a pointer LR1000, only thing that worries me is going of other lever release shotguns it’s likely to require a fairly heavy load to cycle the action…..

Same issue with most semi-auto systems.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jakethefake » 11 Nov 2022, 10:48 am

Pardus has a button release shotgun listed on their website, and has done for a couple of years. There is no indication of if or when it would be released in Australia. I don't know where else there would be a market for such a thing. Their design seems different than the rest of the lever release or push button designs. The button is on top and at the rear of the receiver. And the button does not just release the bolt, but lifts the round up for the bolt to be able to chamber it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4AXTKQ2fno
In any case, most of the issues these shotguns seem to have are not inherent faults to the push button/lever release design, but inherent to the cheap semi auto shotguns they're based on (except the verney carron, because they aren't cheap at all).
And they seem to think they can charge whatever they want for them, since they've got us by the balls. To me though, a cheap shotgun should be cheap. The buckmaster seems to be the best of the bunch so far, and I 'd like one, but over $2k for what is a cheap turkish shotgun, seems like just too much.
Browning and Winchester and Benelli semi autos can be had for less than that, in other more sensible countries. And the turkish semi autos are as cheap as they should be.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 13 Nov 2022, 6:53 pm

Jakethefake wrote:Pardus has a button release shotgun listed on their website, and has done for a couple of years. There is no indication of if or when it would be released in Australia. I don't know where else there would be a market for such a thing. Their design seems different than the rest of the lever release or push button designs. The button is on top and at the rear of the receiver. And the button does not just release the bolt, but lifts the round up for the bolt to be able to chamber it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4AXTKQ2fno
In any case, most of the issues these shotguns seem to have are not inherent faults to the push button/lever release design, but inherent to the cheap semi auto shotguns they're based on (except the verney carron, because they aren't cheap at all).
And they seem to think they can charge whatever they want for them, since they've got us by the balls. To me though, a cheap shotgun should be cheap. The buckmaster seems to be the best of the bunch so far, and I 'd like one, but over $2k for what is a cheap turkish shotgun, seems like just too much.
Browning and Winchester and Benelli semi autos can be had for less than that, in other more sensible countries. And the turkish semi autos are as cheap as they should be.

I've seen the Buckmaster for sale down south for $1500. Its price is coming down.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.