Baikal side by side

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 26 Sep 2022, 11:56 pm

327BFF4F-9715-48F2-AC2F-2A4DEA386BE1.jpeg
327BFF4F-9715-48F2-AC2F-2A4DEA386BE1.jpeg (406.86 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Sep 2022, 3:10 am

Looks nice, one of the later builds going by the finish. Is an ejector? I've had my IJ-58 for 48 years now and it still shoots fine, at $170 new it was $5 dearer than the Boito and $10 cheaper than a Jabali but felt better and the chrome barrels won me. Solid, low cost, reliable field gun.
No1Mk3
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1838
Victoria

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 27 Sep 2022, 9:45 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Looks nice, one of the later builds going by the finish. Is an ejector? I've had my IJ-58 for 48 years now and it still shoots fine, at $170 new it was $5 dearer than the Boito and $10 cheaper than a Jabali but felt better and the chrome barrels won me. Solid, low cost, reliable field gun.


I paid 350 dollars for it, now for this money very hard to buy a solid side by side
it's non-ejector version which I like more cos most my other shotguns are with ejector so I'd like to try something different
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 27 Sep 2022, 9:47 am

IMG_9522.JPG
IMG_9522.JPG (725.01 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 27 Sep 2022, 9:48 am

IMG_9526.JPG
IMG_9526.JPG (689.93 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 27 Sep 2022, 9:49 am

IMG_9536.JPG
IMG_9536.JPG (432.3 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 27 Sep 2022, 9:50 am

IMG_9517.JPG
IMG_9517.JPG (700.6 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 27 Sep 2022, 9:56 am

the stock looks ok after clean although the timber is bit soft
the metal is really interesting, some spot blue is gone, I put some cold blue gel, first 3 to 5 seconds nothing happened but then suddenly in less than half second it turns to very deep black colour and join the original blue very well, couldn't tell which area is original which area is new fixed

the action lock up tight and very easy to take down and put back together, unlike the Berretta under/over, which take down is easy but put back is not
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by Diamond Jim » 27 Sep 2022, 10:42 pm

Had one exactly like it for years as a "farm gun". Ended up handing it in for destruction after it developed an alarming bulge in the barrel where your left hand (I'm right-handed) grips the fore-end. Did not fancy losing a few fingers. Before that it was a serviceable gun. Probably a bit too much choke and was not kind with recoil although we were using field loads of 32g or more so it probably would have been quite different with 28g target loads.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint. Why supply a DNA sample?
User avatar
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 364
Western Australia

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by Diamond Jim » 27 Sep 2022, 10:49 pm

That brings back memories, I had one exactly like it for years as a "farm gun". Ended up handing it in for destruction after it developed an alarming bulge in the barrel where your left hand (I'm right-handed) grips the fore-end. Did not fancy losing a few fingers. Ours was likely the exception as by all accounts they are built like a tank.
Before that it was a serviceable gun. Probably a little too much choke and was not kind with recoil although we were using field loads of 32g or more so it probably would have been quite different with 28g target loads.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint. Why supply a DNA sample?
User avatar
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 364
Western Australia

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 08 Oct 2022, 9:52 am

Diamond Jim wrote:That brings back memories, I had one exactly like it for years as a "farm gun". Ended up handing it in for destruction after it developed an alarming bulge in the barrel where your left hand (I'm right-handed) grips the fore-end. Did not fancy losing a few fingers. Ours was likely the exception as by all accounts they are built like a tank.
Before that it was a serviceable gun. Probably a little too much choke and was not kind with recoil although we were using field loads of 32g or more so it probably would have been quite different with 28g target loads.


sounds like someone put some 3 inch ammo through it? mine's 2-3/4 chamber
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 08 Oct 2022, 9:52 am

old girls
IMG_9583.JPG
IMG_9583.JPG (588.81 KiB) Viewed 982 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 08 Oct 2022, 9:54 am

IMG_9586.JPG
IMG_9586.JPG (476.33 KiB) Viewed 982 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by SHV » 08 Oct 2022, 9:55 am

IMG_9597.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG (691.43 KiB) Viewed 982 times
SHV
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by Diamond Jim » 09 Oct 2022, 2:48 am

SHV wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:That brings back memories, I had one exactly like it for years as a "farm gun". Ended up handing it in for destruction after it developed an alarming bulge in the barrel where your left hand (I'm right-handed) grips the fore-end. Did not fancy losing a few fingers. Ours was likely the exception as by all accounts they are built like a tank.
Before that it was a serviceable gun. Probably a little too much choke and was not kind with recoil although we were using field loads of 32g or more so it probably would have been quite different with 28g target loads.


sounds like someone put some 3 inch ammo through it? mine's 2-3/4 chamber


No, never. This was 30 years ago before 3" cartridges were even heard of in WA. 2 3/4" Winchester Super-X or Ranger in #4 shot were our standard cartridge for rabbits and duck (when it was still legal in WA), BB's for foxes. Before that it was Eley Grand Prix. I have never even seen a 3" shotgun shell.

I guess we got a lemon.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint. Why supply a DNA sample?
User avatar
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 364
Western Australia

Re: Baikal side by side

Post by aimz » 07 Nov 2022, 2:38 pm

looks great. i need to get a baikal sxs to go with my single barrel and over under.
aimz
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 27
New South Wales


Back to top
 
Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.