Ranges in NSW for lever release shotgun shooting?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Ranges in NSW for lever release shotgun shooting?

Post by sparkymate » 25 Feb 2023, 9:47 pm

Hello everyone, I've just put down a deposit for a Sulun Arms Tacoras on a whim and now am not too sure where I'm going to shoot it.

Besides private rural land, are there any ranges in NSW (preferably close to Sydney) that you can just shoot a shotgun at a target rather than clays? Or are there any clay target ranges that would allow such a firearm?

I've been looking at various clay target ranges but all the photos and videos I see everyone has a break action, so I get the feeling they're not too receptive of the lever action/release stuff?

Any locations would be great, cheers guys!
sparkymate
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Ranges in NSW for lever release shotgun shooting?

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 03 Mar 2023, 6:59 am

I'm not in NSW, however, at Ripley in Qld it's no issue. You just can't load up the mag and shoot 6 rounds one after the other (unless the RO is supervising you). At Ripley, shotguns can only hold 2 rounds.
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to go to any range in NSW and do the same. If in doubt, call them first.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 03 Mar 2023, 8:21 am

I have one of the 14" models on order, it's for 3-Gun Steel Challenge but not many clubs have 3-Gun competitions.
I suspect it will be a poor choice for clays but a lot of clay clubs have restrictions on shorter barrels and lever actions, some by choice for the latter but others don't have Cat B range approval at all.

Hopefully somebody from NSW will have some good answers for you.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 07 Mar 2023, 1:38 pm

You will be able to use it to shoot a static target at most SSAA ranges. You can use lever release or lever action at the Little River SSAA in Victoria so should be able to use them on most of their ranges.
You will not be able to use them at any clay target clubs though. Break action guns are the norm at clay clubs because they are easy to make safe by just breaking open. You may see a semi auto on the very rare occasion if someone has gone through the hoops to use one but it is rare and the only reason someone may want one is for recoil reduction usually. They can load 2 rounds but must have the gun empty before the next shooter can close their gun and call for a target.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.