Try before you buy - Options

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Try before you buy - Options

Post by JohnnyM » 30 Jun 2023, 11:19 pm

Hey all.

New to the forum and pretty new to the shooting scene.
Bit of background to put things into perspective.

I've had a couple of hacks at clays over the years, but in the last 6 months or so,.I managed to get out numerous times with a good friend and neighbour at his (our) local club.

I've joined the club and received my licence

I'm hoping to get into the (< C grade) comp scene, DTL, Ball trap and some 5 stand.

I've been using a loaner Miroku 800 (circa 1972/74) but would like to buy my own 12G O/U in the next few months.

Being a newbie, I'd love to be able to go and have a feel/shot of different O/U's before I drop coin on something that doesn't fit me or feel comfortable.

So...my question is.... is there any places (Sydney or Illawara area) that I can test or hire some guns before I buy?

Thanks in advance
Johnny.
JohnnyM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Try before you buy - Options

Post by Mattraff » 02 Jul 2023, 9:57 pm

Most guys at your local club will be happy for you to put a few rounds through their guns. The Miroku/Browning is a very different feel to the low profile actioned guns like Beretta. I tried many guns when I first started out and settled on the Beretta 682 X Trap and then bought a newer 682 Gold E X Trap that I have now owned for 17 years. Back then there was a fairly even mix of Browning and Beretta shooters and they were both about the same cost. Now I notice the vast majority of shooters are using Beretta guns I'm not sure why but Beretta certainly spend on advertising and support the sport.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Try before you buy - Options

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2023, 4:40 pm

I think by far the simplest is to talk to the club members, most should be happy to let somebody have a try.

JohnnyM wrote:Hey all.

New to the forum and pretty new to the shooting scene.
Bit of background to put things into perspective.

I've had a couple of hacks at clays over the years, but in the last 6 months or so,.I managed to get out numerous times with a good friend and neighbour at his (our) local club.

I've joined the club and received my licence

I'm hoping to get into the (< C grade) comp scene, DTL, Ball trap and some 5 stand.

I've been using a loaner Miroku 800 (circa 1972/74) but would like to buy my own 12G O/U in the next few months.

Being a newbie, I'd love to be able to go and have a feel/shot of different O/U's before I drop coin on something that doesn't fit me or feel comfortable.

So...my question is.... is there any places (Sydney or Illawara area) that I can test or hire some guns before I buy?

Thanks in advance
Johnny.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.