loads for russian paradox slug with wad

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

loads for russian paradox slug with wad

Post by perentie » 05 Jul 2023, 8:38 am

Anyone used the Russian Paradox slug with the attached wad with Aussie powders?
Not much info available and about all I have on hand is Unique.
Not sure on how powder supply is ATM.
Any load info appreciated.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: loads for russian paradox slug with wad

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jul 2023, 5:54 pm

Those slugs cast between 1 1/8 and 1 1/4oz so any 1 1/4oz data will do. AP70 was the good powder for that weight so Unique will be perfect from 24 to 28g in a modern gun, cylinder bore.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by perentie » 06 Jul 2023, 7:16 am

Thanks. I loaded some yesterday at 20 so will work up and see how they go. My shottie is not cylinder bore though is an OU and seems to be a bit tighter.
I loaded some RB loads to compare as well.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Jul 2023, 7:50 pm

You don't necessarily need a cylinder bore . Sacrifice one shell and remove the slug . Weigh it , then drop the slug down the bores . If the unexpanded slug goes through or lodges just at the very end of the bore it is ok to shoot in that bore . If it lodges several inches back in the muzzle then it's a bit tight when you consider it will also expand under pressure . It may still swage down ok but it's harder on the choke area and it may kick harder . A lot depends on how hard the material is in the slug and how it's constructed .
Some swage down easier than others . A Fosters type slug ( winchester ) swages down easy . A Breneke (FN) slug slightly harder to swage down . Most have fins to aid squishing down . Russian slug ???
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.