Crackdown on shotgun trip alarms being installed in Victoria

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Crackdown on shotgun trip alarms being installed in Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 09 Aug 2023, 4:43 pm

Just a heads up if you were considering popping one of these into your AliExpress shopping cart, DON'T!!!!
1.png
1.png (505.09 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

Original article
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts-victoria/crackdown-on-shotgun-trip-alarms-being-installed-victorian-homes/news-story/70f2ad957a4920f3608de4885e148c72

Home alarms that fire 12-gauge shotgun rounds when someone “trips” a wire have been installed in Victorian homes from Colac to Frankston, and it’s not just crooks using them.

Dangerous trip alarms used by criminals and capable of firing 12-gauge shotgun rounds are being increasingly seized by authorities.

Australian Border Force officers have confiscated 28 of the weapons in a recent crackdown involving a sweep of raids across Victoria.

Among places they were uncovered were Colac, Drysdale, Hampton Park, Kinglake Dromana, Mt Eliza and Frankston.

The devices are marketed as designed to serve as an alarm but their ability to fire a round puts them in the same category as other firearms.

A total of 47 were seized in Victoria and West Australia as part of Operation Tripidation.

The ABF said 15 importers of the alarms were identified in Victoria and 14 warnings issued.

There were 18 importers found in the WA arm of the operation.

Insp. James Judge of the ABF said an increasing number of trip alarms were coming in via the international mail system, sparking the crackdown.

Some of the alarms are being used by criminals for protection but others are being purchased innocently by members of the public.

They fire when someone “trips” a wire attached to the device.

“Trip alarms are not harmless toys or convenient security devices, it is a serious offence to bring these items into the country without the appropriate permissions,” Inspector Judge said.

“We understand that some members of the public may attempt to import a trip alarm with completely innocent motives. But it is a case of buyer beware and they should always check first to see if an item is a prohibited import.”

Intentionally importing a trip alarm without authority carries penalties of up to 10 years in jail.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Crackdown on shotgun trip alarms being installed in Vict

Post by Shootermick » 09 Aug 2023, 6:07 pm

Better take down the one I use to keep the kids out of my bedroom then.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2023, 7:33 pm

Since you need a licence to buy or possess 12ga. ammo anyway what are unlicenced people using in these?

stihl88 wrote:Just a heads up if you were considering popping one of these into your AliExpress shopping cart, DON'T!!!!
1.png

Original article
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts-victoria/crackdown-on-shotgun-trip-alarms-being-installed-victorian-homes/news-story/70f2ad957a4920f3608de4885e148c72

Home alarms that fire 12-gauge shotgun rounds when someone “trips” a wire have been installed in Victorian homes from Colac to Frankston, and it’s not just crooks using them.

Dangerous trip alarms used by criminals and capable of firing 12-gauge shotgun rounds are being increasingly seized by authorities.

Australian Border Force officers have confiscated 28 of the weapons in a recent crackdown involving a sweep of raids across Victoria.

Among places they were uncovered were Colac, Drysdale, Hampton Park, Kinglake Dromana, Mt Eliza and Frankston.

The devices are marketed as designed to serve as an alarm but their ability to fire a round puts them in the same category as other firearms.

A total of 47 were seized in Victoria and West Australia as part of Operation Tripidation.

The ABF said 15 importers of the alarms were identified in Victoria and 14 warnings issued.

There were 18 importers found in the WA arm of the operation.

Insp. James Judge of the ABF said an increasing number of trip alarms were coming in via the international mail system, sparking the crackdown.

Some of the alarms are being used by criminals for protection but others are being purchased innocently by members of the public.

They fire when someone “trips” a wire attached to the device.

“Trip alarms are not harmless toys or convenient security devices, it is a serious offence to bring these items into the country without the appropriate permissions,” Inspector Judge said.

“We understand that some members of the public may attempt to import a trip alarm with completely innocent motives. But it is a case of buyer beware and they should always check first to see if an item is a prohibited import.”

Intentionally importing a trip alarm without authority carries penalties of up to 10 years in jail.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Aug 2023, 4:52 am

Shootermick wrote:Better take down the one I use to keep the kids out of my bedroom then.

:unknown: some kids need to learn the hard way.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 10 Aug 2023, 2:18 pm

womble wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Better take down the one I use to keep the kids out of my bedroom then.

:unknown: some kids need to learn the hard way.

They would only do it once
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2023, 4:15 pm

Wow.
Now who'd have thought that aye ? :crazy:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Aug 2023, 3:47 pm

Article seems to be mostly regarding the importation without permit, seizure by ABF and not Police? These items don't have a barrel and discharge would not fire a projectile with any force in a particular direction, so do they fall under the pervue of a Firearms Act, Weapons Act or Dangerous Goods? I used to make these years ago for farmers seeking to keep pigs out of lambing paddocks, loaded with 20g BP blanks, never had a cop question them then.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Aug 2023, 5:59 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Article seems to be mostly regarding the importation without permit, seizure by ABF and not Police? These items don't have a barrel and discharge would not fire a projectile with any force in a particular direction, so do they fall under the pervue of a Firearms Act, Weapons Act or Dangerous Goods? I used to make these years ago for farmers seeking to keep pigs out of lambing paddocks, loaded with 20g BP blanks, never had a cop question them then.

Thread a short pipe on and your drug dealer has a convenient booby trap with a wide pattern.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 17 Aug 2023, 10:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Article seems to be mostly regarding the importation without permit, seizure by ABF and not Police? These items don't have a barrel and discharge would not fire a projectile with any force in a particular direction, so do they fall under the pervue of a Firearms Act, Weapons Act or Dangerous Goods? I used to make these years ago for farmers seeking to keep pigs out of lambing paddocks, loaded with 20g BP blanks, never had a cop question them then.

Correct.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 17 Aug 2023, 10:17 pm

Therre are a lot of them for sale from stores that have Australian distribution. Import already done. Unless the Authorities get a warrant for company records tracing the sale of those could be impossible. I reckon there could be a few containers full of them already here hence they are being advertised and sold off cheap to clear stocks.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Fionn » 18 Aug 2023, 1:01 am

Larry wrote:Therre are a lot of them for sale from stores that have Australian distribution. Import already done. Unless the Authorities get a warrant for company records tracing the sale of those could be impossible. I reckon there could be a few containers full of them already here hence they are being advertised and sold off cheap to clear stocks.

A warrant for this would be very easy, They are considered a firearm in Victoria.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Aug 2023, 2:55 am

An unregistered firearm to be precise. You are slipping Fionn.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 18 Aug 2023, 6:29 pm

Perhaps a gov buyback is in order, here's you're $10.50 for unregistered firearm!
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 18 Aug 2023, 8:19 pm

womble wrote:An unregistered firearm to be precise. You are slipping Fionn.

Hardly, the registration status has no bearing on if something is deemed a firearm.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Aug 2023, 3:37 am

You will slip up one day.
And when you do our revenge will be swift and brutal.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 20 Aug 2023, 7:48 pm

womble wrote:You will slip up one day.

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 23 Aug 2023, 10:05 am

womble wrote:You will slip up one day.

Particularly if you slip/trip on one of these devices :sarcasm:
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 30 Aug 2023, 3:57 pm

I've seen ones being sold on online that are just a modified mouse trap with a hole drilled for a shotgun primer.
I would imagine that this type wouldn't be classed as "firearms", but I seem to remember that there was something in Victorian legislation specifically about "Man traps".

Mind you that was 35 years ago, they may have changed it.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 30 Aug 2023, 4:39 pm

It would seem the definition of a firearm is anything that goes bang or puts a projectile into the air.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by womble » 30 Aug 2023, 4:50 pm

My toaster is technically a firearm.
Just would need a very long extension lead for hunting and target shooting
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 Aug 2023, 6:12 pm

womble wrote:My toaster is technically a firearm.
Just would need a very long extension lead for hunting and target shooting

Hope it’s not a 4 slice, pretty sure they’re highly restricted.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 31 Aug 2023, 3:53 am

WA recently banned clicky pens, because they can be modified so as the spring will launch the ink refill.
They’re only allowed to use pencils.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 31 Aug 2023, 6:33 am

womble wrote:WA recently banned clicky pens, because they can be modified so as the spring will launch the ink refill.
They’re only allowed to use pencils.

Stock up on the pencils over there before they’re banned too and it’s back to crayons.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Aug 2023, 9:32 pm

Rumour has it that in the best interests of public safety, WA is currently seeking advice from key stakeholders on the viability and legalities of having the removal of index fingers made mandatory as to prevent the general public from making firearm gestures with their hands.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 01 Sep 2023, 3:22 am

Bunch of three fingered muppets
With their crayons
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.