Purchasing through 2nd hand gun websites

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Purchasing through 2nd hand gun websites

Post by TommyB » 14 Dec 2023, 3:08 pm

Hi, I'm posting this here because it's about buying a shotgun from either Usedguns.com or Ozgunsales.
Any tips on not getting ripped off (financially)? I don't buy much stuff on-line full stop, but looking at $2000+ and wondering if there is something I can do to make sure the sale is legit.
Thanks, like this forum.
TommyB
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Purchasing through 2nd hand gun websites

Post by Shootermick » 14 Dec 2023, 4:48 pm

TommyB wrote:Hi, I'm posting this here because it's about buying a shotgun from either Usedguns.com or Ozgunsales.
Any tips on not getting ripped off (financially)? I don't buy much stuff on-line full stop, but looking at $2000+ and wondering if there is something I can do to make sure the sale is legit.
Thanks, like this forum.

I’ve bought and sold a few times on these sites. Mostly good results, but I did buy a semi auto shotgun a few years ago that was pretty knocked about and not as good as I was hoping. But I moved it on again for around the same money.
Problem is that most times you’re not getting the see the gun before the purchase, so you have to take the sellers word. Get lots of photos, talk to the seller on the phone, ask lots of questions and know what the gun is worth. Also factor in postage if you are covering it, and the dealer transfer fees at your end. Often when you add up these extra costs, there’s not much difference between the used gun and a new one in price.
If you’re worried that it might not be legit, ask for a copy of their license. I’ve done this and received fake/stolen licenses, but they’ve been pretty easy to work out when the names don’t match, or the firearm supposedly for sale doesn’t match the category on the license etc.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Dec 2023, 5:26 pm

Shootermick wrote:
TommyB wrote:Hi, I'm posting this here because it's about buying a shotgun from either Usedguns.com or Ozgunsales.
Thanks, like this forum.

I’ve bought and sold a few times on these sites. Mostly good results, but I did buy a semi auto shotgun a few years ago that was pretty knocked about and not as good as I was hoping. But I moved it on again for around the same money.
Problem is that most times you’re not getting the see the gun before the purchase, so you have to take the sellers word. Get lots of photos, talk to the seller on the phone, ask lots of questions and know what the gun is worth. Also factor in postage if you are covering it, and the dealer transfer fees at your end. Often when you add up these extra costs, there’s not much difference between the used gun and a new one in price.
If you’re worried that it might not be legit, ask for a copy of their license. I’ve done this and received fake/stolen licenses, but they’ve been pretty easy to work out when the names don’t match, or the firearm supposedly for sale doesn’t match the category on the license etc.

This!!, Shootermick has pretty much covered it. A legitimate seller will seldom knock back a genuine request for specific photos, don't be afraid to ask and if they resist move on, plenty more things to look at.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 14 Dec 2023, 7:39 pm

My advice would be to only buy something you can inspect personally, or send a mate who can do it for you.

The exception to this would be buying a project rifle, where condition is expected to be low, and it is priced accordingly.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2023, 8:34 pm

Thanks, like this forum.

If you're concerned, ask him to take it to a dealer of your choice (that is convenient to the seller) and call them asking their opinion of it - you would want to offer them a fee for their time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TommyB » 15 Dec 2023, 10:02 am

Thanks very much, great advice!
TommyB
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 16 Dec 2023, 11:58 am

I buy off used guns often but only from dealers. I have never actually bought from a private individual. If the seller is a dealer ring the shop and talk to them directly. If it is private and you are really keen on it ask him to take it to his local dealer

Buying a gun online is no different than buying anything else. Sometimes you get ripped off.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.