Impact of shotgun barrel length

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Impact of shotgun barrel length

Post by south » 29 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

I have little experience with shotguns so this is just based on a bit of logical thinking....

You fire your shotgun... The shot travels down the barrel staying together as it's contained by the barrel... Once the shot reached the end of the barrel it drifts apart creating your pattern.

Also.. The shot is pretty free flowing down the barrel, it's not like a projectile gripped by rifling where too little powder will mean the bullet being slowed down before it reaches the muzzle and exits.

I can't really see what the change is with different barrel lengths? Whether the barrel is 20", 30", 40" etc... The shot travels down it together before drifting once it exits the muzzle. If that muzzle is 10" closer or further it doesn't seem to change much? Anything?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Impact of shotgun barrel length

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2015, 11:55 am

I think barrel length is more about handling and weight. Also it will change the way you sight the target I think, but other aspects of fit also effect sighting. You will lose a bit of velocity in 20" barrels but I doubt the average user would notice the reduction in real life. Perhaps check out the local library. Hope this helps.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 19 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think barrel length is more about handling and weight.

I agree (we'll see who doesn't though :lol:)

30" gives you kind of lumbering, smooth swing which is favoured for sporting clays and trap. Helps with not overcompensating and jerking past subsequent clays as you move to the next target.

Handling of a 20" will be a little faster as you're throwing less weight around and have more leverage on the weigh. Good for hunting and not getting caught in the brush.

With a properly fitted shotgun I don't feel there is a lot in it to be honest. You'll be able to use one barrel length as well as the next when everything else fits.

Comes down to personal preference and, if relevant things like not getting snagged hunting.

People will have opinions on which is arguably better, but one isn't demonstrably better than the other IMO. Not in terms of hitting a target anyway.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Khan » 19 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

"pick the barrel length that feels best" is common advice.

It's frustratingly non-specific :lol: but there it is.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jan 2015, 3:07 pm

A longer barrel gives you a better sighting plane and is weighted differently, that's the only difference... Same fps, same pattern with the same chokes.

Im using a 20" because it's better for walk around hunting and shooting from a vehicle.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mich » 19 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

Technically pointing error is easier to see in longer barrels. You're more likely to be a degree or two off target which a shorter barrel where the error is less noticeable.

How important is that though? Well, it's not rifle shooting where you only have a single projectile is it. A degree or two off isn't going to mean a miss with a shotgun.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

Khan wrote:"pick the barrel length that feels best" is common advice.

It's frustratingly non-specific :lol: but there it is.

KISS. I think that sums it up pretty well.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 20 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Im using a 20" because it's better for walk around hunting and shooting from a vehicle.

Getting the 32" in and out of the window constantly would sure be a challenge :lol:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Korkt » 23 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Im using a 20" because it's better for walk around hunting and shooting from a vehicle.

:thumbsup:

I like my 26". Best of both worlds I guess you'd say but it's largely down to personal preference in these situations.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 30 Jan 2015, 7:45 am

Korkt wrote:I like my 26". Best of both worlds I guess you'd say but it's largely down to personal preference in these situations.

And we're back to "pick the barrel length that feels best" :lol:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 02 Feb 2015, 2:51 pm

Aussier wrote:Getting the 32" in and out of the window constantly would sure be a challenge :lol:

End up punching a pair of holes in your upholstery most likely.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.