So, I'm useless with a shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

So, I'm useless with a shotgun

Post by Arth » 20 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm

So today I fired a shotgun for the first time.

Normally I shoot scoped rifles... I'm not going to win any medals, but I'm not bad.

Shooting the shotgun though... I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn though :lol:

A fellow shooter of the range was kind enough to let me have a few blasts as he was packing up, no time for shooting tips though.

I must be doing something wrong, any ideas :D

Keen for tips for next time so I don't look quite so uselss :lol:
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: So, I'm useless with a shotgun

Post by Noisydad » 20 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm

As a previously dedicated rifleman you may have been aiming the shotgun when you should have pointed it and you cant do that effectively unless the shotgun fits your body properly.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 20 Oct 2013, 5:51 pm

"You aim a rifle, you point a shotgun" is the saying isn't it?

Well, there's my regurgitated bit of wisdom I don't actually know anything about for the day :D
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 21 Oct 2013, 9:50 am

A mate of mine carries one around for foxes...

First time I shot it while we were out I aimed at a tree stump to get a feel for it... pretty sure the whole group went sailing over the stump into the dirt behind without a single pellet contacting it :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by oohsam » 21 Oct 2013, 10:01 am

It takes a while to get used to shooting without a scope and lining up your beads.
I had quite a bit of trouble at first, but I joined a clay target club and started smashing clays.
Down the Line is the best way to start as it teaches you to get your sight in.

Starting off with skeet will only upset you as there's too much to learn. Once you get Down the line sorted, and you really start popping clays and getting your confidence up you will see massive improvements.
I went from shooting 5 out of 25 to 23-24 out of 25 now. And I still hate it when I miss!

Also, My advice to you is do what you're comfortable with. I got a lot of 'unwanted' advice from a lot of different guys at the clay club and it just confused me - How to hold your gun, how to aim, where to look, alot told me to buy a better gun. I ignored it all, did what felt comfortable did some reading and made my own style.

Good luck mate.
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Arth » 21 Oct 2013, 10:10 am

Cheers oosham.

It was just a quick shoot for a bit of fun, so no frustration just yet ;)

I might get into it more seriously though, we'll see what the future brings.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.