Polishing my beretta ase 90

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Polishing my beretta ase 90

Post by dan8706 » 23 Sep 2015, 12:14 pm

Hi all
have a beretta ase 90 one of the first built with the Olympic Rings on the receiver before
They changed the logo and went to ase gold. I had all the gold work redone with gold inlay
Instead of the laser etch they came with as it had faded, and I want to polish the nickel reciever
But I don't want to go to far into the metal I would like to avoide using wet sand paper with 2000 grit since it looks like it takes to much coating off the gun, any thoughts or ideas on what to use or how to go about bringing the new look back with out the damage. Thanks

Regards
Dan
dan8706
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Polishing my beretta ase 90

Post by pomemax » 23 Sep 2015, 1:29 pm

Just had a look at a very nice gun on the net if your,s is anything like it DON'T USE any sandpaper at all
You should look in the chemist for a thing called A BUFF PUFF, yer sounds right up there its made by 3M its for cleaning skin. They have a really mild abrasive sprayed into the material it has to be mild for the skin eh and try it on a part of the gun just to see ,do not push to hard on the nickle .
Just a though have to thought about a really mild cutting compound or even car polish (tooth paste its the mildest form of cutting compound )
i would like to know how this turns out
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Sep 2015, 2:44 pm

Previously when polishing metal parts that I don't want to cut into too much I've used Autosol. You can pick up a tube from most automotive stores for about $10
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Sep 2015, 3:01 pm

Do not polish anything... put it down....right?!

Question; have you polished anything before / or are you otherwise skilled in the art? if yes and you want to save $$ then go nuts, polish away

You have a $nice$ Beretta there (pics would be good), if you want to keep it nice/bring it back to what it once was GO TO A PROFESSIONAL :crazy:

Its not a 200$ banger afterall, ..... I'd even ring up Beretta (in VIC) and get some advice, they may even in-house or out source to the right people..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by dan8706 » 23 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies some good reading yes I am worried about what happens to it as it is almost 9 grand worth of shotgun so don't want to damage the nickel or the new gold inlay, will also talk to beretta and see what I can also find on the professional side of things.
dan8706
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 23 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm

dan8706 wrote:Thanks for all the replies some good reading yes I am worried about what happens to it as it is almost 9 grand worth of shotgun so don't want to damage the nickel or the new gold inlay, will also talk to beretta and see what I can also find on the professional side of things.

9 k and talking about sandpaper do nothing ask Barretta is the best idea I have heard
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Farmjer » 25 Sep 2015, 2:38 pm

Sandpaper on $9k = tears :(
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 25 Sep 2015, 5:38 pm

I recently took 1500 grit to my $7000 Beretta and am still crying ....

( have been many times labelled, ' the impetuous one' ! )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 01 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

That's gotta sting :(
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Oct 2015, 3:41 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:I recently took 1500 grit to my $7000 Beretta and am still crying ....

( have been many times labelled, ' the impetuous one' ! )

Dont tell me someone on a forum suggested you hit it with 1500??? :lol: No, shouldnt laugh, sorry... :thumbsdown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Elmer » 01 Oct 2015, 11:14 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Do not polish anything... put it down....right?!

Question; have you polished anything before / or are you otherwise skilled in the art? if yes and you want to save $$ then go nuts, polish away

You have a $nice$ Beretta there (pics would be good), if you want to keep it nice/bring it back to what it once was GO TO A PROFESSIONAL :crazy:

Its not a 200$ banger afterall, ..... I'd even ring up Beretta (in VIC) and get some advice, they may even in-house or out source to the right people..

I agree with Genisis...to many traps to fall into, best talk to Beretta about it.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by RDobber » 05 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Dont tell me someone on a forum suggested you hit it with 1500??? :lol: No, shouldnt laugh, sorry... :thumbsdown:

Don't laugh, he's suffered enough :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by dan8706 » 09 Oct 2015, 12:26 am

Reason why i ask I never wanted to sand it at all but have seen videos of
People wet sanding there reciever. Found out today it's not nickel coated just steel it was the models after the ase 90 which were the ase 90 gold that had the grey stone nickel finish. Will give it a light polish no sand paper that's for sure.
dan8706
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by south » 14 Oct 2015, 8:29 am

Would a super fine lapping compound be an option instead of sandpaper? :unknown:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.