Akkar Churchill misfire problem

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Akkar Churchill misfire problem

Post by EmmaFitzy » 23 Sep 2015, 10:37 pm

Hey guys,
So I've bought a akkar Churchill trap gun second hand in great condition. Previous owner only used it a few times. BUT, it keeps misfiring!
Sunday practice 2nd barrel (top) misfired twice and today the 2nd barrel misfired twice and the 1st barrel once.
I've been advised to pull it apart and clean it, which is done now but wondering what else I could do if it happens again?
Cheers, Em.
EmmaFitzy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Misfire problem

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 23 Sep 2015, 11:17 pm

I strongly suggest you take that into the LGS for appraisal, sounds like a firing pin/spring problem with a gun that's done a lot of work sorry. When you say its "misfiring" is the firing pins actually hitting the primers on the shell ????...If, on "SAFE" inspection, the primers have only a slight indent in them then its something to do with the firing pin/springs, and the depth that they are travelling out of the block.

Hope that helps.
Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First thing that comes to mind when I read misfire is springs. There could be other explanations, but springs is the first thing that comes to mind
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by EmmaFitzy » 24 Sep 2015, 10:12 am

The firing pin is leaving a small dint but not much of one, I have put around 600 shells through it in the past two weeks so 5 times times misfire isn't too bad but I don't want it to keep happening
EmmaFitzy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 24 Sep 2015, 10:40 am

Take it to a good gunsmith .
Gunsmiths and Gun shops are often two totally different things , take it to an expert .

Ken
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

Have you tried diff shells? not that it should really make any diff but maybe its a bad batch of primers - who knows?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by EmmaFitzy » 26 Sep 2015, 12:12 am

I'm using champion shells currently but have used a hand full of other brands like Winchester and rio and it's still doing it, took it apart to clean it, and its still doing it, so off to the gunsmith it goes!
EmmaFitzy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Sep 2015, 9:37 am

Yeah that's about the only option mate, let the smith sort it out. Let us know what the problem was when you get it back.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 26 Sep 2015, 10:15 am

Please describe how you 'cleaned it'.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 26 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

If it is misfiring more often on the second barrel I would suggest it is shooter error, how long have you been shooting shotguns and clay targets? People are usually very quick to blame the gun or ammo when its nearly always poor trigger technique, especially with shotguns and always on the second barrel. If you are too quick to pull the next shot you tend not to release the trigger far enough forward to engage for the second shot, can be misdiagnosed as a misfire. If there is a coach at your local gun club, ask them to watch while you shoot, maybe they will identify any problems ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 26 Sep 2015, 7:08 pm

I own a Akkar Churchill 20" 30" combo. first time i used it was with Rio shells. wouldn't fire the top barrel. took it back to the gunshop, had it checked, no issues.

second time i used it i used winchester shells without issue. hasn't happened again (probably 8-10 slabs through it now) though i have never bought Rio's again

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 01 Oct 2015, 9:10 am

Any cause explained for working through the lower but not top?

Subtle firing-pin length difference perhaps?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Akkar Churchill misfire problem

Post by davidphantom » 15 Mar 2016, 10:28 am

Hi, have had a Churchill trap for over 2 years, 6 moths after purchasing I had the same problem, on disassembly I found that the locking mechanism holding pins in place had unwound and therefore firing pins couldn't strike as hard. Used low strength loctite to secure threads on mechanism. All good after that. Advised NIOA of problem, they said never heard of that problem before.

Just had another look yesterday as had 4 misfires over a 2 day shoot on bottom barrel, top barrel pin mechanism had started to unscrew again!
Which didn't tell me why bottom barrel misfires. Using bronze wing terminator shells, no problem with previous 10 slabs of ammo.
Most shells have a decent dent in shell, misfires have much slighter dent.

Check that pin locking mechanism not unscrewing,

Cheers

Dave
davidphantom
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 15 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

Hey !

EmmaFitzy, where have you gone ?

I'm keen to hear how it worked out for you.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 05 Apr 2016, 12:02 pm

Obviously must be fixed and he's out shooting lol
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.