Why are shotguns so expensive?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Why are shotguns so expensive?

Post by juststarting » 30 Sep 2015, 7:58 am

Why are shotguns so expensive, there seems to be a lot of price difference. From what I see, the difference between a mid-range shotgun and a centerfire is huge in terms of dollars, is there a reason for that? I'd think there is a lot more science and research that goes into making a centerfire than a shotgun. The only thing I can think of is quality of wood, other than that - but no idea.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Why are shotguns so expensive?

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Sep 2015, 8:57 am

A shotgun will still spray a bunch of of pellets in an area, its just how well it can achieve that purpose that counts. Artistry to me is kinda ehh. Sure I'd like a nice looking shotty (coach gun please) but to fork out 3000 dollars for a beretta? Why? Whats the big deal?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 30 Sep 2015, 9:11 am

My thoughts exactly. It's two pipes with two nails. I think... Then again I got mine by quite literally asking about the cheapest shotty they had, yep, I'll have that then
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 30 Sep 2015, 9:21 am

Bentaz beat me straight to it. I was going to say "snob factor" and artwork/finish. You can spend hundreds of thousands on a brand new skeet gun. Yes, I said hundreds of thousands - straight from the factory. It will sure be purty and probably shoot slightly better than one you get for $600 :D

Remember when I said I would look like an idiot if I brought my 18" Mossberg 9200 to sporting clays? And a couple people didn't understand? Now you understand :) It's not just the fact that it is not designed for shooting clays, it's downright ghetto to that crowd. Like farting in church :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rick » 30 Sep 2015, 11:03 am

My shotties arent much special, both the SKB & the Fausti have some engraving on them, but at the end of it, both of the and the FEG (coach gun) are all under and over shotguns, I bought each one for under a grand. Im happy, they have marks etc on the stocks (not major) but they all work well! I wouldve loved a Beretta or a Browning, perhaps even a Perazzi, just couldnt justify it. If you want a cheap coach gun, look at a Stoeger, then buy a Boito. Boito (Brazil) make Stoeger, and the Boito models are a couple of hundred cheaper.
Winchester Model 06 .22 Pump
Winchester Model 9422 .22WMR Lever, with scope
Marlin Model 1895 45-70 Government, Lever
3 shotguns, all 12 Ga, U/O, SKB, FEG (coach) and Fausti
maybe a Boito coach gun, just because I should have a SXS in the safe.
Rick
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Sep 2015, 12:02 pm

I am not looking to buy, I have a Stoeger Condor, so far had close to 500 rounds through it. No issues yet. Was just wondering about the price ranges, why, etc.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 30 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

Single barrel shotguns are very simple and as a result inexpensive.

However add a second barrel, second firing system and the metal, machining and fitting costs increase.

Some shotguns seem incredibly low priced, such as the stoeger and baikal combos of 20" and 28". For what $1000, a bit under?

Compare that to a rifle with changable barrels like sako quad or Blaser, even those cz 22lr/22wmr combos and the shotguns are very low priced.
Last edited by newsteadvic on 30 Sep 2015, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2015, 4:41 pm

Shotgunners are more refined / discerning / demanding than rifle shooters ?

:lol:
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 30 Sep 2015, 5:27 pm

Well ladidadida
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2015, 5:30 pm

Sorry, Sorry .....

I meant TRAPSHOOTERS.

:lol: :lol:
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harronek » 30 Sep 2015, 6:59 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Shotgunners are more refined / discerning / demanding than rifle shooters ?

:lol:

Many a true word , has been spoken in jest .

Ken
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

Snobbery and what people are prepared to pay. companies always ask for the max idiots are prepared to pay. Very little technology required to mass produce a shot gun. And tolerances are not particularly tight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

bentaz wrote:Yeah but the name.........

Not so sure ....

One is able to buy a $2500 Beretta and / or another B gun @ $100,000 ( or thereabouts )

.... and, everything in between.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 30 Sep 2015, 11:43 pm

really basic firearm. You will always have your elitist prices for almost similar quality product just with sprucier brands and creepier engravings ;) " wow how much did those squiggles cost yah " lol

Nah each to their own I guess haha
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 01 Oct 2015, 2:00 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Not so sure ....

One is able to buy a $2500 Beretta and / or another B gun @ $100,000 ( or thereabouts )

.... and, everything in between.

Between and above.

They will hand make you one to your personal spec and fit if you want.... and have $150k :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Oct 2015, 2:47 pm

Why are shotguns so expensive, cos they wanna rip ya off - I shoot my $60 Boito just as good as my $2600 Beretta on clays so it ain't because you get better results from an expensive one in my experience, more to do with the Timber, fancy finishes etc and I guess a lot of the higher end stuff is hand made/finished so takes longer to produce which means higher costs to make.

I've seen some firearms up around $800,000 from memory, fooked if I can see the value in it but I guess if you have that sort of $$ to spend then $$ aren't a major concern to you and you obviously want to own something unique and rare I guess.

Some expensive shotguns here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokxuivYEgc

Cheap compared to this rifle though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJdR4nwIoeA

Some flash looking shotguns and rifles here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqdA2Iw54I8
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2015, 8:12 pm

Lol. $800000 you could buy a rolls royce for that. With modern manufacturing making a 12g is a piece of piss. Any thing over about $1000 is just bells and whistles
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by winchestersx » 01 Oct 2015, 8:23 pm

Side by side and under over shotguns are not so easy to build. It takes some skill to get the alignment right and most of the new guns are really poorly built and pattern like crap. Stuff like ATA, boito and other bargain rubbish should not even be sold to the public.
Fight for Freedom!
winchestersx
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2015, 9:05 pm

Hum bug. s**t loads of happy boito users out there. Horses for courses.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 01 Oct 2015, 9:11 pm

Boito isn't junk, they just don't care for the snob factor. I'd very much like a coach gun from them as it wouldnt cost me a fortune nor be chinese crap that really shouldnt be put out.

Shotguns are basic firearms with basic purpose, you could build a slam fire shotgun and it would work fine. But really, its still a shotgun. Aside from being their ability to give you a better chance of hitting close aerial targets, all they are, are just smoothbore, noisy, messy and short range guns.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Oct 2015, 10:21 pm

I only paid $ 600 new for my 20" s/s shotgun .

I didn't get screw in chokes, hard chromed lined barrels, selectable match grade trigger, ejectors, high grade adjustable Turkish Walnut stock, a deeply blued finish with gold inland engraving or a hand crafted wood / leather / felt carry case so I probably saved some money there.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Oct 2015, 10:30 pm

winchestersx wrote:Side by side and under over shotguns are not so easy to build. It takes some skill to get the alignment right and most of the new guns are really poorly built and pattern like crap. Stuff like ATA, boito and other bargain rubbish should not even be sold to the public.

Yep the Boito's don't have the overpriced price tag, or the fancy finish that expensive stuff has but they still work the same, mine still kills foxes and rabbits etc just as good as my $2600 Beretta, clays fall out of the sky whether they are shot with a $60 shotgun or one worth 20x that.

Everyone laughs at me when I roll up with the $60 special to bust some clays with, they soon realise it ain't the price tag that makes the difference, just the operator. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Harronek » 02 Oct 2015, 11:40 am

I have owned both expensive and cheap Shotguns , and I can honestly say I would take the expensive one every time , and won't ever buy a cheapy ever again .
Looks , feel , balance , pride of ownership , precision , quality of timber , features like detachable triggers , modular systems where barrels can be swapped instantly , manufactures backup and warranties service , reliability , longevity , the list goes on and on , but one thing is for sure , those things cost money .
Buy once and buy well , I will still be shooting my Shotgun in 30 years time , it will still have its original barrels and will probably be up over the 100,000 shots through it by then , if I was to shoot my rifle that much it would be on barrel number 20 by then , just think of the cost of that .

Ken
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Oct 2015, 12:00 pm

I have an Adler on order.

Just sayin'.

On a more serious note, though, the Churchill's seemed a decent shotgun at a reasonable price. Not as cheap as the boitos, stoegers, etc, but with what appeared to be a better finish and quality. But the dondors didn't t look too bad for a cheapie. Either way, you wouldn't sit in the corner crying for a week if you put a scratch in them.

But, IMHO, some shotguns are created to be art, not tools.

Each to their own.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2015, 8:03 pm

This has become a pointless argument. Seems to me it is like an argument on which is better, ford or holden. Nobody will change their mind. Nor are most open minded.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Oct 2015, 8:22 pm

I get your point Ken, I'm still shooting my 30+yr old Boito shooting everything from clays to foxes/rabbits etc but if I wanted to do heaps of shooting like clays regularly (week in week out) I would buy a half decent shotgun which should hold up to that sort of use.

It all really comes down to what sort of use you are expecting to put them too as to whether it really is necessary to spend good $$ or whether you can get away with using something cheaper to cover your needs.

I love that little Boito SB of mine, she ain't flash in looks etc but she's super light, points fantastic and I don't miss very often I can tell ya and I often carry along with a rifle when out fox whistling to sort out those sneaky foxes that just happen to appear out of thin air, no way I'd be carting my Beretta to do the same sort of thing (heavier and cost way more than the Boito which I can happily lay in the dirt etc without worrying about damaging the appearance of too much. :thumbsup:

I've also got a brand new 410g Boito SB sitting in the safe which the kids and wife use for clays etc
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 06 Oct 2015, 5:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
winchestersx wrote:Side by side and under over shotguns are not so easy to build. It takes some skill to get the alignment right and most of the new guns are really poorly built and pattern like crap. Stuff like ATA, boito and other bargain rubbish should not even be sold to the public.

Yep the Boito's don't have the overpriced price tag, or the fancy finish that expensive stuff has but they still work the same, mine still kills foxes and rabbits etc just as good as my $2600 Beretta, clays fall out of the sky whether they are shot with a $60 shotgun or one worth 20x that.

Everyone laughs at me when I roll up with the $60 special to bust some clays with, they soon realise it ain't the price tag that makes the difference, just the operator. :lol:

A single shot .... to 'bust some clays' ?

Am guessing you're just muckin about ....

If so, a lot of your arguments about the difference between 'cheap and nasty' and something with a bigger price tag ( of a higher quality ), are fallacious / facile.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2015, 8:13 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

A single shot .... to 'bust some clays' ?

Am guessing you're just muckin about ....

If so, a lot of your arguments about the difference between 'cheap and nasty' and something with a bigger price tag ( of a higher quality ), are fallacious / facile.

I've shot clays in competition settings (U/O used) and used SB for shooting clays for fun, they both get the job done regardless of price tag :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by lole » 12 Oct 2015, 9:38 am

Oldbloke wrote:Lol. $800000 you could buy a rolls royce for that.

Just for people with too much money who need something to spend it on.

(And to brag like a wanker about how much you paid for it :lol:)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2015, 9:54 am

lole wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Lol. $800000 you could buy a rolls royce for that.

Just for people with too much money who need something to spend it on.

(And to brag like a wanker about how much you paid for it :lol:)

Yep it won't make you a better shot but will show how much money you can waste if ya want :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.