Akkar Churchill

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Akkar Churchill

Post by Jake » 16 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

Hey guys this is my first post and im just wondering about the Akkar churchill what are people's thoughts on it ? I got a few rifles but no shotty and Im after one for feild work and also clays but don't wanna spend a fortune and I like the feel of the Akkar so what's your thoughts.
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Akkar Churchill

Post by AusTac » 16 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm

I was in the same boat a little while ago went to the shop and had a feel of a akkar, webly and scott, hatsan and lamber, i had previously only shot mates berettas. Shotties are all about fit and feel whatever i/others like may or may not work for you, but that said the turkish guns are practically 5 year if that disposable firearms

For around the same price you can pick up some nice ones off used guns or oz gun sales and the like
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by pomemax » 17 Jan 2016, 1:02 am

Akkar churchill i have one good shotty for the price never had any dramas with it
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jake » 17 Jan 2016, 7:07 am

So what you reckon Aus tac save a little more coin and get something like a bettinsoli franchi or Miroku ? Shot a mates Miroku and loved it . seen holts have them for 1500 ATM , like I want it to last at least 10 years 5 is abit s**t really .
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 17 Jan 2016, 7:25 am

Ive got an Akkar Chruchill combo with 20" and 30" barrels and while its no silver pidgeon its a solid gun for the dollars

Id definately look at and hold all the entry level guns before buying. As they say shotguns is all about fit and they're all slightly different

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 17 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

Chronos wrote:Ive got an Akkar Chruchill combo with 20" and 30" barrels and while its no silver pidgeon its a solid gun for the dollars

Id definately look at and hold all the entry level guns before buying. As they say shotguns is all about fit and they're all slightly different

Chronos

Have the same combo as chronos and live it.... Mine is primarily a scrub gun (20" barrel) and it's been faultless...
Every few months we do a sporting clays day for the laughs and practice and the 30" barrel works a treat... Yeah, u can buy better shotties but for the price it's great.... Seen plenty of expensive shotties with a muppet on the blunt and they shoot worse than a good shooter with a cheap shotty...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jake » 17 Jan 2016, 3:47 pm

Good points there guys just way to many options change my mind every day on what I'm after but looking more towards the Akkar and if I wanna spend more the Miroku I want something that's going to last me a long time
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 17 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

Properly maintained, any reasonable shotty, Akkar included , will last thousands of rounds. If you want a practical shotgun to simply hunt , or do clays , without any bells and whistles then any of the entry level shotguns will do just fine. Cleaned, lubed and maintained they will outlast you. Rifles are the same, plenty of ancient stirlings and norincos kicking on. You pay more for better quality shotguns for the details. Better timber, engraving, wood to metal fit. Solid fixtures, not plated, more time taken on internal parts coming together, overall smoothness of operation. Bottom line, an Akkar or hatsan will put plenty of lead down range, a beretta will do it with a bit more style and finesse. This is from the stand point of the average hunter mind you. Doing weekly comps and several thousand rounds a year then of course you will wear out a cheaper one quicker
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2016, 4:34 pm

AusTac wrote:I was in the same boat a little while ago went to the shop and had a feel of a akkar, webly and scott, hatsan and lamber, i had previously only shot mates berettas. Shotties are all about fit and feel whatever i/others like may or may not work for you, but that said the turkish guns are practically 5 year if that disposable firearms

For around the same price you can pick up some nice ones off used guns or oz gun sales and the like

Where do you get that from? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2016, 4:44 pm

Buy with confidence mate - here's a video on em, they go alright for the $$$ :thumbsup:

http://www.nioa.com.au/nioa-tv/nioa-tv- ... 2-ep5.html
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jake » 17 Jan 2016, 5:01 pm

Thanx supaduke all my rifles get a clean after every use even if I fire a few shots out of the 17 it'll still get a oil so the same thing will happen with whatever shotty I buy , and like you said about shooting comps caint see myself doing that Mabey a Comp a month or something is more likely .. Yea big fella Scott I've watched that a few times cheers mate !
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by veep » 21 Jan 2016, 10:52 am

Chronos wrote:Ive got an Akkar Chruchill combo with 20" and 30" barrels and while its no silver pidgeon its a solid gun for the dollars

With the interchangeable shotty barrels it's not really an interchangeable barrel in the same sense as with a rifle where you screw a barrel into an action and the switch can mean a change in POI and sighing etc, it's just replacing the whole business half of shotgun action, right?

Am I right in assuming there is no change in patterning or effect on sights/aiming when you switch with the shotty?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2016, 12:02 pm

veep wrote:

With the interchangeable shotty barrels it's not really an interchangeable barrel in the same sense as with a rifle where you screw a barrel into an action and the switch can mean a change in POI and sighing etc, it's just replacing the whole business half of shotgun action, right?

Am I right in assuming there is no change in patterning or effect on sights/aiming when you switch with the shotty?

Yes it will shoot differently (2 diff barrel lengths) so there will be an impact on how they pattern/shoot.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 21 Jan 2016, 12:12 pm

Shottys don't work like rifles . Barrel length has negligible effect on muzzle velocity or patterning. Pellet spread is determined by you choke. Barrel length affects sight picture and weight. More length allows a better draw on moving targets. More weight slightly negates recoil ( although in my experience the difference is f$&k all ) and makes it swing a little more smoothly. Short barrel shottys are designed for walking about, usually in denser environments where the longer barrel can be a hindrance. Also as a defensive close quarter weapon, but that is a moot point in Australia. With practice you can do anything with a short barrel that you can with a long , however, I don't see too many 20" barrels at Olympic level. Probably a reason for that .
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2016, 12:29 pm

Supaduke wrote:Shottys don't work like rifles . Barrel length has negligible effect on muzzle velocity or patterning. Pellet spread is determined by you choke. Barrel length affects sight picture and weight. More length allows a better draw on moving targets. More weight slightly negates recoil ( although in my experience the difference is f$&k all ) and makes it swing a little more smoothly. Short barrel shottys are designed for walking about, usually in denser environments where the longer barrel can be a hindrance. Also as a defensive close quarter weapon, but that is a moot point in Australia. With practice you can do anything with a short barrel that you can with a long , however, I don't see too many 20" barrels at Olympic level. Probably a reason for that .

Reason being they don't swing and point the way the longer barrels do which generally results in more misses. :thumbsup:

Can't say I've ever seen a Coach Gun Choked - short barrels are used for close quarter work as a rule, longer barrels are used for taking longer shots ie ducks/clays etc because of the way the move when swung and choke ability.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 21 Jan 2016, 1:10 pm

image.jpeg
Akkar Churchill 20'
image.jpeg (847.5 KiB) Viewed 9008 times

Ta daaa!

Most shottys are choked , coach guns are often fixed chokes however.
Barrel length also has very little effect on range, considering the effective range of pellets is <50 metres. It's all about the choke.
Long barrels are all about sight picture and swing . Nothing to do with range or patterning. It's a rifle principle incorrectly applied to shotguns .
Just dispelling a myth not trying to be a smart artist
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm

Not quite a coach gun but it would be handy in scrub country for pigs etc, have ya tried it on ducks or clays in that configuration?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 21 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

Bunnies yes, clays no. It takes a bit of adjustment but it works. Bit lighter to carry, doesnt get caught up so much on long grass and branches etc. Points far quicker so intially tended to shoot with too much lead. Like most things in life it's all about what you are used to. I imagine on larger game with the correct ammo it would be just as effective as a longer barrelled gun. It just raises an eyebrow for me with the whole "close in" thing with short barrelled shotguns. Fact is all shotguns are designed for "close in" work on moving targets. Using slugs changes things, I'm talking about using shot. It's all about propellant , shot weight and choke when you talk about range in shotguns.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2016, 2:19 pm

Supaduke wrote:Bunnies yes, clays no. It takes a bit of adjustment but it works. Bit lighter to carry, doesnt get caught up so much on long grass and branches etc. Points far quicker so intially tended to shoot with too much lead. Like most things in life it's all about what you are used to.

Yes I'd imagine it would swing way too fast to be easy to acquire the targets with good consistency hence the use of longer barrels for those applications. :thumbsup:

Have you put it on a pattern board to see what the patterns are like compared to the longer barrel? would be interesting to see if there is much diff between em. :thumbsup:

It's amazing the difference different brands of ammo make to patterns, I use RC2's and Win Extra Lites and I find the Extra Lites just dust the clays whereas the RC2's don't quite do that, same pellet size etc, just slightly diff charges and I guess wad designs too but it was very noticeable last time I shot clays as to which shells I was using at diff times. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Farmjer » 29 Jan 2016, 3:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I guess wad designs too but it was very noticeable last time I shot clays as to which shells I was using at diff times. :unknown:

Sorcery!
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.