Got My stoeger 26" SxS .410 uplander. First thoughts.

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Got My stoeger 26" SxS .410 uplander. First thoughts.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Jan 2016, 9:56 pm

This thing is fun. Patterns pretty well about an 6" solid pattern with perhaps a few flyers out to 10" at 10 yards with full choke. Had some fun throwing cans and shooting them. Well trying to. I got a few! Fit and finish is pretty poor. Barrels look like they were cut off with a band saw and just tidied up a bit. steel is roughly finished. Checkering is either well pressed or poorly and shallow cut I can't really tell. It functions well and goes bang when I pull the trigger. A little stiff to break open but I'm sure it will loosen up with use. The centre rail (not sure of the correct term) is burred the whole way down the left side I assume it's the direction the milling machine ran and they never cleaned it up. Great little gun So far, I will have some pictures soon
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Got My stoeger 26" SxS .410 uplander. First thoughts.

Post by Gwion » 24 Jan 2016, 7:53 am

Thanks for that, Mallee. I am thinking of one of these for similar reasons as yourself. Something the wife can use if needed, without feeling intimidated by a big belting 12g. Can i ask what price you paid for it?

I'd like something of a bit higher quality, with classy fit and finish, but cant seem to find any nice old SxS 410s advertised anywhere. At a pinch, i think one of these would do for a purely functional farm gun.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jan 2016, 8:20 am

I Paid $610 at my LGS. You can see in the picture it didn't have a visual indicator for the safety so I drilled a small notch and filled it with red paint for when it's ready to fire. See pictures for small issues.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Can anyone say cutoff saw?
image.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
image.jpeg
Triggers are very heavy but they work
image.jpeg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
image.jpeg
Poor finish here between firing pin body and barrels
image.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
image.jpeg
Poor finish on extractor
image.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
image.jpeg
Fixed
image.jpeg (976.61 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
image.jpeg
Safety. No visual indicator
image.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jan 2016, 8:30 am

Ten Yard Patterns :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Right barrel pattern 10yds
image.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 6333 times
image.jpeg
Left Barrel 10yd Pattern shell for perspective
image.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 6333 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Jan 2016, 8:52 am

Machining finish and stock fit are a bit ordinary but at $600 it doesn't look too bad. Thanks for uploading.

Are there heavier rounds available for, say, bunnies out to 30m or so? I really don't know anything about 410 and it's range/ammo availability.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jan 2016, 9:28 am

You can get everything from target up to slugs I just got number 6 loads. 30m would be a fairly long shot with a .410 I'd say 15-25 would be your optimum range they fire the same load at the same velocity as a 12g but obviously with much less shot so your pattern is going to be getting pretty sparse at 30m I might do a 30m pattern test today and see how it looks.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jan 2016, 9:40 am

This is what I'm using for a bit of practice and testing.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (107.04 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Jan 2016, 12:35 pm

Thats a $300 gun.... not saying you were ripped, but to buy it you (or anyone in Aus) will need to pay around what you paid new.
Fit and finish is what you'd expect for an econo shotty, I'm just wondering what Beretta (Italy) think about their name being stamped on it :lol:

Length; 26inch doesnt sound right to me, its not a shorty, yet its not a traditional hunting / clay length.... drop saw time.

Triggers....apart from the count; there's one too many :lol: I'd be polishing the casting fuzz of them....

Utilitarian shotgun.... but it will work... and work well for you :thumbsup: pity you cant load 12g ammo into it :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Jan 2016, 6:20 pm

I own a UO 410 in a Stoeger. Agree with everything the OP said. Bit stiff, a bit unfinished but shoots well and handles fast. Lots of fun at close quarters in the bracken. You do need to let the bunnys run a bit and 15-20m is perfect as the full and full chokes have a very tight pattern up close. Bought it for my wife as she did not like the 12g. At the price I also bought a MEC reloading press and wads. It runs on 2205 and shot is 2 and 4s. It has 3" chambers and I run those shells and it holds just under 1 OZ of lead. It will also take 4 x SG stacked ontop of each other.
In the paddocks with the single mechanical trigger it is fast and furious. Lots of fun. If you are only buying factory ammo it will be expensive to run though.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by happyhunter » 25 Jan 2016, 4:27 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jan 2016, 7:13 pm

happyhunter wrote:That ain't no beretta!

Sure ain't.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by snag » 25 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm

I've got the same gun in a 20" barrels and paid $569 and, yeah, it's dear for what it is . BUT, it is really hard to find a double barrel in .410 so your choices are limited and, yes, expensive. Having said that, it fits really neatly behind the tractor seat and cleans up paddock vermin with no fuss. I use #6 shot cartridges to great effect up to about 25 yards and keep a couple of #4's handy for the odd fox or longer shot. The bonus is that my wife can happily use it if she has to. Sure, you can buy a good single shot a lot cheaper, but the comfort of a quick second shot is invaluable if you are no longer 100% confident of getting the job done in one ( nothing to do with getting older........)

snag
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 26 Jan 2016, 8:27 am

i had a stoeger sxs in 12 it was a coach gun i am sorry i sold it off now it i would carry it when i ran bear bait
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Jan 2016, 9:55 am

Never said it was a Beretta.... a blind man could tell the difference... my statement is what Beretta (Italy) would think about their name being on a shotgun made in Brazil (Boito), Marked with the US importer's name (Stoeger) then being shipped to Australia with the Australian importers name BERETTA (Australia...etc) visible on the top of the right chamber in the 4th pic.

It's a cheap South American gun, I have 2 of them...and a Beretta - It aint no Beretta.
The fit doesnt fit, its near enough though, and they have more casting marks than a 60's toyota Iron engine block...

But they work.... (mostly) and theyre a good first shottie or 'chuck in the back' farm gun. :thumbsup:
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 26 Jan 2016, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Jan 2016, 10:07 am

Sure is a good chuck in the back farm gun! And a good snake and galah gun around the yard. The best thing is I don't mind if it gets rusty or knocked about. If I had a beretta I can assure you it would never sit behind the seat in my ute! Or tractors.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Jan 2016, 3:28 pm

There they are.....
Theyre handy, at 20inch, one for each hand and come in different flavours, and the hole in the barrel is the correct size...12g :thumbsup:
Might drop the pic in the other SG thread....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Jan 2016, 6:13 pm

Yep they look equally basic! I'm sure they do the job.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 05 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:one for each hand

Ok Rambo :lol:

:friends:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2016, 4:39 pm

I would buy a cheap 12g single and use 1oz loads. Heaps cheaper and better.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Feb 2016, 4:43 pm

Single is useless... no follow up shot, and a quick 2 round is a lot more fun :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by SendIt » 08 Feb 2016, 9:32 am

Single barrel has a bit of that old world charm though.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 09 Feb 2016, 12:56 am

I don't have a .410, yet, my double SXS is an old Steven 311 12 gauge. For low recoil I use Agulia's mini-shotshells. They throw a 5/8 oz load at around 1100 fps. Pretty close to what a .410 does.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Herdsman » 09 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

And cheaper.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.