Gauge reducers?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Gauge reducers?

Post by alby » 30 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with gauge reducers for their shotties. I like the idea of being able to stick a .410 in the 12 gauge for wrigglers etc around the house and in the sheds. Also I reckon would be a good training tool for the Mrs once licence comes through. Anyone used one?
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Gauge reducers?

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Jan 2016, 2:18 pm

My dad told me once from memory about how you could get these little pipes called little skeets that used to fit inside a 12 gauge barrel. And surprisingly they are still available:

http://littleskeeters.com/

Not sure how well you would go ordering from the states but it may be worth a shot.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jan 2016, 2:27 pm

Are you referring to "Morris Tubes"? I thought these were only available for rifles, like converting 303 to fire 22LR.

I doubt if the exercise would be worth it, cost wise. Just buy a cheap .410 single barrel shotty and use that.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by alby » 30 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

Looks to be a couple of aussie sites that sell them. Though at $95 to$125 for the 12g to 410 a cheap 410 might be the better option lol
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jan 2016, 2:50 pm

Don't buy adaptors. Buy more guns!

Seriously, though, for the stated purpose, either just use the 12g or buy a cheap second hand .410. You can find loads of them dirt cheap.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 30 Jan 2016, 3:18 pm

they sell them here that shoot the 410 and 45 long colt and my son has a couple of them
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jan 2016, 4:14 pm

I have these :) they seem to work ok but don't expect any accuracy beyond 10m from them. I mainly use them to test pistol loads or use as case gauges to check rounds. Nothing like loading up the U/O Mossberg Thunder Ranch with 44mag up top and 12ga down the bottom for a bit of fun.

X-CALIBER SET
Item Number: 970.387
Caliber adapters for use with any break open 12 gauge shotgun.
Eight adapters with a length of 8" are included in the set with the following calibers: .380 , 9 mm , .357Mag/.38SP , .40 S & W, .44 Mag, .45 ACP , .410/.45colt, 20GA.
Carry pouch included

How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by alby » 30 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

I guess those 8 inch jobs brett are rifled? Never considered being able to fire pistol rounds, just other gauges. 44mag does sound fun though, could go into dirty harry mode on the wrigglers hehe.

Something like this was what i was thinking . I wonder if they eject with the cartridge though. That would be a pain in the butt. https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... e+reducers
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jan 2016, 7:41 pm

bentaz wrote:How much were those brett?

They came with the chiappa x-caliber survival rifle but I think you can buy them separately though I don't know how much. Essentially the x = 10 so with this set and the rifle I have the ability to fire 10 different rounds in the event of a zombie apocalypse I'm covered.

Without sounding like a MagnumSports shill, give them a call and ask for a price and what paperwork is required to purchase just the set without the rifle.

FYI, they are as per any other pistol or rifle barrel and are rifled
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2016, 9:53 pm

I remember a bloke had a tube that slid into a 12g. Used 22 blanks to propel tranquliser darts.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 31 Jan 2016, 12:27 am

I've fire 410 inserts, as they're called here in the USA, in a 28 gauge shotgun, the 410 and the 28 threw the same weight of shot. I don't recall anything negative or positive about it, but the 410s do cost less than 28s.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Rocker » 11 Feb 2016, 10:30 am

Oldbloke wrote:I remember a bloke had a tube that slid into a 12g. Used 22 blanks to propel tranquliser darts.

Wasn't that Jurassic Park? :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.