12 g pattern test ideas ?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

12 g pattern test ideas ?

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

When I was a young teenager I wanted to know what sort of pattern my little .410 put out.
We had a double garage with timber doors, so I let rip from about 15 meters, and inspected the pattern. :thumbsup:

That night I got my R send thoroughly kicked by my father,,,, :thumbsdown:

A lesson well remembered, :oops:

So, what is the recommended way for a 12 g ?

And NO, history aint gonna repeat itself. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: 12 g pattern test ideas ?

Post by wrenchman » 19 Feb 2016, 4:23 pm

larg piece card board or papper
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Strikey » 19 Feb 2016, 4:56 pm

I thought the standard for checking the pattern for 12gauge was a 3 foot circle drawn onto whatever you want to use ( my gun club many years ago had a patterning board made from 1/8 or 3/16 steel plate painted white ) set at 20 yards, that should give a fair indication of the percentage of pellets within your aiming mark and if there are any holes in your pattern :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Feb 2016, 6:02 pm

Strikey wrote:I thought the standard for checking the pattern for 12gauge was a 3 foot circle drawn onto whatever you want to use ( my gun club many years ago had a patterning board made from 1/8 or 3/16 steel plate painted white ) set at 20 yards, that should give a fair indication of the percentage of pellets within your aiming mark and if there are any holes in your pattern :thumbsup:

Crikey,,,, Strikey,,,,,, :lol:
That's just what I was looking for, Thanks.

Thanks also to all and sundry for the basics. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 19 Feb 2016, 6:12 pm

Standard seems to be a sheet of steel, maybe 1200x1200 and about 1mm -1.5mm thick. Paint it after each shot

For me I like to keep a record. Chip paper would have been ok if I could get some but I ended up with a roll of builders cardboard, made a template and spray painted an aiming mark in the center. Wrote what shell, choke etc on the card. Still have them.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 20 Feb 2016, 11:45 am

Use a thick lime wash for your pattern board paint. Its just lime and water and far cheaper than actual paint.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

Sounds like you need a shootin car, get a 4 door which should yield 10 panels to check patterns with :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Feb 2016, 10:33 pm

brett1868 wrote:Sounds like you need a shootin car, get a 4 door which should yield 10 panels to check patterns with :)

I reckon I know where there's a VE Series II that would do nicely,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2016, 1:12 pm

bentaz wrote:Everyone needs a shooting car, I've only got 26 more payments till i own mine, but in the meen time how good is shooting up the banks car :sarcasm:

Ha Ha Ha Ha,,,,,,,, :thumbsup:

When you think about it,,,,, the list suddenly becomes almost endless.

More :sarcasm:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 21 Feb 2016, 5:10 pm

You see where you went wrong as a teenager, now, don't you?
You shot in the garage at the doors... you should have shot at the car
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2016, 9:07 pm

:lol:
Ohhhhhhhhh,,,,,,Nooooooopoo,,,
My R-send was sore for a week.
If I shot the car, I would probly still be hobbling now, 46 years later. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Feb 2016, 11:14 am

Noisydad wrote:Use a thick lime wash for your pattern board paint. Its just lime and water and far cheaper than actual paint.

Most peeps would have a few odd half tins of paint in the shed..... paint up a big circle and pattern away, card boars, masonite, thinnish mdf.... whatever is flat, big enough, spare and available...

and if you dont have a tin of paint or a half bag of lime in the shed - a spray can at Bunnings Boutique is a couple of dollars. :thumbsup:

Just quietly every self respecting young kid with a shotty has used the shed/old car/anything resembling a big inviting shape of somethingorother..... to 'pattern' the shotty :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Feb 2016, 11:16 am

Chronos wrote:Standard seems to be a sheet of steel, maybe 1200x1200 and about 1mm -1.5mm thick. Paint it after each shot

For me I like to keep a record. Chip paper would have been ok if I could get some but I ended up with a roll of builders cardboard, made a template and spray painted an aiming mark in the center. Wrote what shell, choke etc on the card. Still have them.

Chronos

Thats how you pattern all your rifles, Steve??
4foot sheet at 20yds....
;)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Feb 2016, 12:23 pm

I always found foxes were good to test a load out on. :D Seriously though a good size sheet of cardboard or better still a good size sheet of tin etc would be perfect, set her up about 20yds or so away and let rip at the aiming mark. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

Road signs seem to be a popular choice out bush and just the right size too but hitting them at speed hanging out the window is tricky though :) Another positive for the Automatic gearbox choice and cruise control...heheheheh.

Kennard's are a good source of cheap cardboard if you buy their used moving boxes but guessing they're not close to you. An old door might be easier to find down your way and if it's the dunny door make sure no one's on the throne :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 01 Mar 2016, 2:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I always found foxes were good to test a load out on.

So, Mr. Fox.

How was that?

Any complaints or suggestions for improvement? No? Great.

:D
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 01 Mar 2016, 3:32 pm

30 inch circle at 40 yards and see what percentage of shot hits inside the circle.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by VICHunter » 05 Apr 2016, 11:54 am

A trick a colleague told me about recently is he does a normal 'straight' shot against a facing target, and also one with a target tilted away at about 60 degrees, and one tilted towards at the same.

Supposedly helpful for simulating the pattern on target when shooting downhill or up (whilst still with an appropriate backdrop of course).

He's been known to be a bit OCD though so take it with a grain of salt :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.