Your Adler review/experience please

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Your Adler review/experience please

Post by Browning » 03 Apr 2016, 9:43 pm

Hey guys... Now that the Adler has been out a while, I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on it, both positive and negative.
Thinking about getting one as it would be perfect for the pigs where we are...
Would love to hear from people who've got one or can even share a mates experiences.
I'm looking at the 20" version and I'm keen to hear about reliability and the smoothness of the cycling or lack there-of...
Have even been thinking about one of these....
https://www.rebelgunworks.net/collectio ... n-shotguns
Anyway, thanks advance....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Your Adler review/experience please

Post by brett1868 » 03 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm

Got one and put maybe 500 round through it so far. Overall I'm happy with it and will probably buy the synthetic version in the near future so I can throw it around and not worry about the timber work getting dented. I do recommend giving the action a good cleaning and oiling before use then sitting down in front of the TV and cycling the action a few hundred times to allow the moving parts to mate a little better though it does get smoother with use. My only gripe would be the sharp edge on the lever, it tends to make the knuckles sore after a few dozen cycles. If it were stainless like my Marlin then I'd take to it with the Dremmel to round it off but since it's blued I've braided it with nylon para cord. The only thing I've changed is the front sight by replacing it with one of the TruGlo universal ones as I didn't like the little brass knob that comes standard. The Adler represents pretty good value for money in my opinion and for $300 you can buy the second barrel so you can have something for birds and swap barrels for the scrub.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stubbles McBeard » 03 Apr 2016, 11:22 pm

That Pardus "marine coat" variant is drop dead gorgeous. I hope they are a good quality gun, coz that's just gone on my list.
Stubbles McBeard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Herdsman » 10 May 2016, 3:25 pm

Not many people taking the plunge with them looks like?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 10 May 2016, 5:46 pm

The news I heard on Pardus was that the return rate was high and some dealers won't carry them.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 10 May 2016, 5:56 pm

Ho Hum ...

Ya get what ya pays for !

P.S. I know a thousand bucks or so, is a lot of dosh and would also buy a decent rifle, but shotguns ( unfortunately ) are a whole different 'kettle of fish'.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 10 May 2016, 7:29 pm

Well, in response to my own original post, I "bit the bullet" and got one.. For an $850 chunk of wood with a 5 year warranty, how could u complain!!
Spent nearly the whole weekend with it in hand chasing pigs through sorghum....
I gotta say, you get what you pay for in terms of the timber etc, but boy does it work well!!! For me it's a knock around scrub gun, meant to get scratches and scrapes etc... In hindsight, maybe the synthetic would of been better for what I do (quad bike, lignum, back of the ute etc) but I'm still really happy with it...
Definitely a purchase I won't regret!!
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 May 2016, 7:37 pm

I'm stoked with mine, the only thing I've done is to take the sharp edges off the end of the barrels ( I've got both lengths ) so they don't tear my gun bag liner and fit a laser sight for night shooting.
I doubt you could find a better deal on a new shotgun.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 May 2016, 8:43 pm

I got to pick mine up last week. The timber isn't bad, not classic sako, but not bad. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but spent a little time racking the action and it's starting to smooth up a bit.

I hope to get out and give it and my new old lithgow a workout the week after next.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Elek » 17 May 2016, 2:36 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:P.S. I know a thousand bucks or so, is a lot of dosh and would also buy a decent rifle, but shotguns ( unfortunately ) are a whole different 'kettle of fish'.

Something which I can't get my head around personally.

We've been hosed into expecting a quality shotgun to cost a fortune for some reason.

:unknown:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gibbo » 18 May 2016, 4:18 pm

My brother and I are looking at getting one for the farm. We have a lever action winchester and I have always struggled to work the lever and maintain aim. Has anyone had any issues with working the adler actions? Always been a bolt guy so may just be technique and practice....
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 May 2016, 5:00 pm

Keeping your aim with any lever gun is always going to be next to impossible, The Adler is no different.
Being on a farm, have you considered applying for a cat C and getting something in semiautomatic ? They're loads better for keeping aim and getting shots of accurately.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gibbo » 18 May 2016, 5:05 pm

Yeah I have considered it but never seriously looked into it. Maintaining aim may not be the right way to explain it, more like time between follow up shots. The double barrel allows a fast follow up but obviously no third, fourth, etc.

I will check out the hassle involved with cat c
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 May 2016, 1:28 am

I'm torn between my adler and my double barrel when I head out.
The instant second shot with the double barrel is pretty handy sometimes but I'm giving the adler a chance and I'm getting faster with the follow up shot if needed with practice.
That 3rd 4th & 5th shot may come in handy some day.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.