lever action shotgun reviews/recommendations

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

lever action shotgun reviews/recommendations

Post by ozbluei » 23 Jul 2016, 9:14 am

So I've been looking at reviews of lever action shotguns. Does anyone have recommendations or criticisms of the new brands of lever action shotguns available. ie which one should I buy ? The ones I have found for sale in Australia are

Adler
Alpharms
emerald
Pardus
uzkon

Some reviews I've found so far are...
adler, adler, pardus, uzkon
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: lever action shotgun reviews/recommendations

Post by Browning » 24 Jul 2016, 12:16 am

Love my Adler... You get what u pay for and it certainly ain't no Beretta, but for $850 and a 5 year warranty, that's hard to beat... Has cycled faultlessly and as a scrub gun gets knocked around a lot with dust, rain and knocks on the quad... Groups bloody tight as well... We've run quite a few comparisons against my mates 30" pumpy shotgun with full chokes, (he used Federal flight control and me good ol Winchester 00SG) and it came out on top...
I had a go on a Pardus not long ago and it felt dreadful in comparison.. The throw, while shorter, feels wrong and each to their own but I thought it was bloody terrible... Apparently, of the dozen or so my LGS stocked/sold,
11 of the Pardus needed to be returned within a week...
Haven't tried any of the others though you've mentioned...
Good luck and thumbs up for the Adler..
Ps. I have the 20" barrel and if I had my time again, I'd prolly get the synthetic stock, but only cos it won't mark as easily as a timber stock on the quad bike...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 24 Jul 2016, 10:40 am

Don't own one and don't want one at the moment but I've shot a mates AIC a few years ago, first time i cycled the lever i sliced my hand on the razor edge on the side of the receiver :thumbsdown:

A few months ago I had an offer to shoot an Adler, mate let me have a go. Of the 5 rounds i shot i had 2 misfeeds. probably something an owner could work around with technique on the lever. It was far from smooth cycling but it was fairly new and would definitely loosen up

I read a few reports from Pardus owners who are also having feeding issues. It was pointed out by someone else all these levers are a bit sensitive with shell choice and will soon realize they'll all need to do what IAC owners have been doing for years, sending them away to get them slicked up and the chambers polished

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

I can't comment on other brands of lever shotguns but I'm happy with my adler.

As far as cycling issues goes I've used heaps of different cartridges and one thing remains constant, you've got to cycle it like you stole it to ensure it ejects the spent cartridge properly.

The finish on the original model is easily marked as is the wood, the new offerings no doubt would sort that out especially the nickel plated all weather model.

The only thing I've done to mine so far it take the sharp edges off the end of the barrels ( I've got both lengths ) so they don't tear my gun bag liner and fit a laser sight for night shooting.

I doubt you could find a better deal on a new shotgun and a 5 year warranty says something about the manufacturer's conference.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jul 2016, 1:57 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I can't comment on other brands of lever shotguns but I'm happy with my adler.

As far as cycling issues goes I've used heaps of different cartridges and one thing remains constant, you've got to cycle it like you stole it to ensure it ejects the spent cartridge properly.

The finish on the original model is easily marked as is the wood, the new offerings no doubt would sort that out especially the nickel plated all weather model.

The only thing I've done to mine so far it take the sharp edges off the end of the barrels ( I've got both lengths ) so they don't tear my gun bag liner and fit a laser sight for night shooting.

I doubt you could find a better deal on a new shotgun and a 5 year warranty says something about the manufacturer's conference.

Yep that's the way to run most lever shotties I reckon, they work fine when used like that but cycle em slowly and they tend to get a bit so so. I used a mates Adler the other day and it went fine with all sorts of diff brand of ammo, it got used on clays and never missed a beat or SFA clays so it's a winner in my books for a cheap Lever shotgun, she's no oil painting but then again the price reflects that which is fine by me as I don't see the point in spending heaps of $$ just to have a pretty shotgun, so long as it works is all that really matters to me at the end of the day, not much good owning something that looks pretty but ya can't hit s**t with hey. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 24 Jul 2016, 3:22 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I can't comment on other brands of lever shotguns but I'm happy with my adler.

yeah, cycling it hard is fine when you own it, not something i'd do with the owner standing beside me. In fact he told me the same thing but i had memories of the AIC that split me open from the base of the thumb to the wrist :wtf:

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 24 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

If the Pardus performs anything like the one at the local range I wouldnt touch one. I watched one of the range officers using it and he had a lot of fail to fires. Every now and then it strikes light he was saying.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 24 Jul 2016, 9:10 pm

I reckon I've put about 200-300 rounds through my Adler and its smoothed up nicely.. (To be honest, it wasn't that bad from new) It's never gonna be like a BLR or something like that, BUT as I mentioned earlier, for a cheap lever action shotty, they're bloody great.... Unless you're a fairy, just cycle it with a bit of muscle and it works fine every time..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 26 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

What's the latest with the Adler?

Haven't heard any rumblings about taking them back in a while.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Radagast » 30 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

The Emerald seems to be the same gun as the Warrior lever action sold In Canada by Corwin Arms. There are a couple of long threads on it at the Canadiangunnutz forum.
Pro: Smoother action than the Adler.
Cons: Some have issues with feeding from the magazine to the lifter. Safety may need modifying to work. Weak ejection; the cases do come out, but they fall out instead of being thrown.
There is a test and take down video on Youtube under the warrior name.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 30 Jul 2016, 7:15 pm

From what the LGS told me that sells emerald the other day is that its a cosmetically changed adler from the same factory under different name.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Radagast » 02 Aug 2016, 4:44 pm

Warrior/Emerald review including stripping the action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loiikNscgUw
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SteamedHam » 09 Aug 2016, 11:58 am

Got my Synthetic Adler 28 inch last week. Only put about 40 rounds through it, I had zero feeding issues. This shotgun is a LOT of fun. I can see this being used a lot.
SteamedHam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Davew » 22 Aug 2017, 11:47 am

Has anyone used a berika lever action shotgun? Any info would be appreciated.
Davew
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.