Low budget first trap gun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Low budget first trap gun

Post by Jmacca » 25 Jul 2016, 8:35 am

G’day all I am new to the shotgun/Trap side of shooting and was after a bit of advice, I want to get a low budget entry level trap gun the two I’m looking at are Tristar 333 and the Aakkar Churchill. I know a lot of you will probably say save you money and buy something better but I just want to see if I like the sport first and then maybe later who knows.
Thanks.
Macca.
Jmacca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Low budget first trap gun

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2016, 9:12 am

I bought a Stoeger Condor last week.
$525 is outstanding value in my opinion.
I opened the box expecting something like my old Stirling's or Bentley pump gun but this is way nicer than those, very impressed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

He said he had a few left when I bought mine.
Attachments
shotgun ad.JPG
shotgun ad.JPG (71.3 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

Nothing wrong with the cheaper Turkish guns. It's sort of like Commodores and BMW's, sure the beemer is a nicer car but a commodore gets you there just as well. I have a Churchill, it ain't fancy but it does the job.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 25 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm

It's all about 'fit'.

Ideally, have the salesperson 'fit you up' to a particular gun.

'Cheap' will be a sorrowful memory, if the gun beats you about.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Low budget first trap grun

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Jul 2016, 7:13 pm

The Aakkar Churchill is a very nice shotgun for the price. It has alot going for it.
Chrome lined barrels
3" chambers
5 extended chokes
Turkish walnut
10mm ventilated rib with red front sight
Steel Receiver
Ultrasoft recoil pad
Single selective, gold plated inertia trigger
And ejectors in most modles.

Thats alot of shotgun fir about $1150 and they look great. And for an extra 250 you can have both 20" and 30" barrels making it a handy hunting gun as well as a trap shooter.

For almost half the price you can have a Stoager.
It won't have the nice finish, ejectors, chrome lined barrels or a selectable single trigger but they do last the test of time.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 25 Jul 2016, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 25 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm

.... but if it does not fit.

You will be wasting your dosh !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Low budget first trap grun

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2016, 8:06 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The Aakkar Churchill is a very nice shotgun for the price. It has alot going for it.
Chrome lined barrels
3" chambers
5 extended chokes
Turkish walnut
10mm ventilated rib with red front sight
Steel Receiver
Ultrasoft recoil pad
Single selective, gold plated inertia trigger
And ejectors in most modles.

Thats alot of shotgun fir about $1150 and they look great. And for an extra 250 you can have both 20" and 30" barrels making it a handy hunting gun as well as a trap shooter.

For almost half the price you can have a Stoager.
It won't have the nice finish, ejectors, chrome lined barrels or a selectable single trigger but they do last the test of time.

The Stoeger Condor doesn't have selectable trigger or chromed bores as far as I know, but it does have 3" chambers, ejectors, removable chokes, very nice finishing to the steel and timber, vented rib with red sight, and a decent recoil pad. As I said, I'm stunned with the bang-for-buck. The Condor Supreme does have the selective trigger but whether you could simply swap in the trigger pack I don't know.
For what it's worth though, I don't compete and I don't consider shotguns to be the most humane way to shoot animals or birds. For me the shotgun is really just a toy for occasional clays or some field competition so I was never going to spend more than a grand on one.
I hate lever action but for the price I'd pretty much decided I was going to have to buy the Adler until I spotted the Stoeger.

According to their website the Condor Field has 26" or 28" barrels. Mine are 30" though so I'm wondering if it's a bit of hybrid with the Longfowler's 30" barrels?

Does anybody know if it's likely to be modular and would accept the barrels from the 12/20/28/410 versions in 26", 28" and 30", or even the 20" barrels from the Outback version, or the single barrel from the Grand? That would be awesome if it were the case :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 25 Jul 2016, 8:18 pm

I'd be leaning towards a used Miroku MK70, but that would be for sporting clays, not sure if it would be suitable for trap shooting.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jul 2016, 1:56 pm

As Winchester said get one that fits if you don't you won't hit s**t with it the most important thing with shotguns and clays is fit make sure who ever knows there s**t when it comes to making sure the gun fits you right or as Winchester said you will be pissing ya money down the drain until you get it modified to fit you right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by stockliman » 27 Jul 2016, 11:54 am

All clubs should have loan guns. If you want to go a few times to see if you like it,just arrange to use one if those.

Miroku,browning or Beretta entry level will keep you shooting a long time. Remember the beretta comp guns have a free fitting service by beretta, which includes any customision for no extra cost and a lifetime warranty .
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bazooker » 27 Jul 2016, 12:39 pm

If you are looking at a dedicated trap gun, there are a few Winchester 101's that appear from time to time that have not been overworked and represent reasonable value and quality.

A dedicated trap gun will shoot above the point of aim as it is designed to shoot rising targets.

Sporter and field type shotguns are more to the point-of-aim setup,

As others have said, gun fit is everything, a short tutorial on gun fit from Larry:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsKCO8Mcfk

another one:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JOj4J_Ltc

To measure your required length of pull, hold your trigger arm at a right angle and curl your trigger finger.

The measurement from the crook (inside) of your elbow to the pad of your trigger finger,(measured in inches) is your required length of pull.

That will be a good start to finding a gun that fits

Hope this helps some.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 27 Jul 2016, 4:22 pm

stockliman wrote: Remember the beretta comp guns have a free fitting service by beretta, which includes any customision for no extra cost and a lifetime warranty .

And, also remember ... Beretta shotguns are relatively way more expensive than a lot of other guns. ( read: the majority of Turkish made guns and some Italian and Jap guns )

Regarding the question posed the OP ..... grab a Turkish made gun for a grand and have a stockmaker, adjust the pitch and install an adjustable comb ( if needed ) ?

( would be much cheaper than a bog standard Beretta ... )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jmacca » 28 Jul 2016, 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice I see the biggest issue is the fit of the gun so I have done a lot of research mostly on you tube. I had a look at the Tri star but it didn’t fit too well then I looked at a few Akkars and ended up with the CHURCHILL TRAP EJECTOR, it feels good I’m sure the fit is pretty good so I can’t wait to have a crack at a few clays.
Thanks.
Macca.
Jmacca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 28 Jul 2016, 4:29 pm

Congrats ....

Will wait in great anticipation, for your report !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jmacca » 28 Jul 2016, 9:29 pm

Thanks but don't hold your breath I have a broken kneecap at the moment very hard to walk now but will let you know how it shoots as soon as I can get to the range.
All the best.
Macca
Jmacca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.