Stiff Action on a Shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Stiff Action on a Shotgun

Post by Jmacca » 17 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

G'day all, I have a question about an incredibly stiff action on a brand new Akkar Churchill Trap gun. I know it will probably be a bit stiff when new but it’s that hard to brake I almost need to open it over my knee and force it closed and I’m sure that’s not quite right and the foregrip is also very hard to remove and replace . Has anyone got an Akker with this issue or know of this problem and/or how to solve it, I am new to shotguns so any help will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advanced.

Macca.
Jmacca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Stiff Action on a Shotgun

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2016, 7:54 pm

Do you grease the hinge pins and other metal on metal surfaces? It's new so will be stiff for a while eventually they free up my beretta was a bit stiff but is getting better with use and since it was serviced by beretta is nicer again.
Last edited by bigfellascott on 17 Aug 2016, 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 17 Aug 2016, 7:57 pm

My Lanber was the same.It'll be because the fore end is too tight against the action. I fixed mine by lightly relieveing it with a chainsaw grinder. Good as gold now.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Aug 2016, 8:38 pm

Might just need a good clean to get all the factory protective grease off then oil appropriately. I've got an Akkar Churchill combo which was tight to begin with but loosened up nicely with use.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

My Stoeger Condor is the same. I was going to polish the hinge face a little, when I get around to it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 17 Aug 2016, 9:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:My Stoeger Condor is the same. I was going to polish the hinge face a little, when I get around to it.

Blacken the hinge face with a permanent marker to see where it's proud so as not to remove more metal than you have to.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm

Noisydad wrote:
bladeracer wrote:My Stoeger Condor is the same. I was going to polish the hinge face a little, when I get around to it.

Blacken the hinge face with a permanent marker to see where it's proud so as not to remove more metal than you have to.

Yep, but I was only hoping a polish would suffice rather than removing any metal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 17 Aug 2016, 10:07 pm

If its unreasonably super stiff take it back before hacking it

if its just super stiff some autosol or equivilent will polish out some of the grittyness after a good clean a touch of grease and then a few hundred rounds ought to break her in real good
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2016, 10:08 pm

I would lube it up with grease then sit down in front of the tv working the action about 500 times clean the grease off then apply new grease and work it some more it should free up over time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2016, 10:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I would lube it up with grease then sit down in front of the tv working the action about 500 times clean the grease off then apply new grease and work it some more it should free up over time.

That does sound more fun than polishing it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Aug 2016, 10:31 pm

Give her a good cleaning, then use some grease sparingly where the parts meet. Give it time is should get easier as it is used.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by snag » 17 Aug 2016, 10:57 pm

My Stoeger Outback is the same too. Eased a little after a few hundred rounds but still very tight. When I get time, I'll try smearing valve grinding paste on the bearing surfaces and just open and close it until it smooths out (or until my arms give out). A bit shy of attacking it with a power tool........
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 17 Aug 2016, 11:47 pm

as brett said clean it real good
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2016, 10:59 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I would lube it up with grease then sit down in front of the tv working the action about 500 times clean the grease off then apply new grease and work it some more it should free up over time.

That does sound more fun than polishing it :-)

Yeah I don't think I would be putting grinding paste on it myself it will free up with some use and to speed that process up lube it with grease and just work the action.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2016, 11:31 am

Stiff when new is normal but to a point.

"Yeah I don't think I would be putting grinding paste on it myself it will free up with some use and to speed that process up lube it with grease and just work the action yeah I don't think I would be putting grinding paste on it myself it will free up with some use and to speed that process up lube it with grease and just work the action."

I agree..
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 18 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

I assume you mean he lubes up the shotgun right...if not then remember to swap hands at 100 :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2016, 11:49 am

brett1868 wrote:

I assume you mean he lubes up the shotgun right...if not then remember to swap hands at 100 :lol:

At a 100 I'm done and heading to the fridge for a beer! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jmacca » 18 Aug 2016, 1:51 pm

Thanks for all the responses after a couple of days of cleaning and working the action recleaning working the action so on and so on it has loosened up.
I'm not sure how to go about the chainsaw grinder bit but thanks for the reply.
Once again thanks from a noob.
Cheers.

Macca.
Jmacca
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2016, 3:00 pm

Your welcome Macca, as you found out when new they are quite stiff (some more so than others) but generally over time they will losen up nicely to operate as we would expect them too (you want the action to be tight but not like when new as such) - I think moly grease is ok to use on the hinges and other surface bearing areas, keep the oil to a min as it can run and get into the wood and soften it over time (that's that black look you often see around metal/wood areas not what you want to happen.

Remember to remove the chokes and smear some grease on the threads every now and again too that way they won't get stuck when you want to change them, a little bit of grease in the hinge pins and other areas before each use should keep it running smoothly for years.

I had my Beretta serviced the other day at the the Beretta Field day (cost nothing as part of the Beretta free service for life thing) one of the reasons I bought a Beretta, anyway I was amazed at what they did, the removed the Hinge Pins, lubed them up and rotated them so they wear evenly, locktited diff bits and pieces, lubed diff areas of the trigger mechanism, adjusted the forend and locktited all the screws etc in that, even oiled the stock up all for $0 and even did an adjustment on the pitch of the butt (temporary) and when and if I'm happy with it I can send it down to them to do the trimming etc for free (I pay postage only) you really do get excellent service from them.

Also to clean the barrels I just use Chux cleaning cloth (you can get it in bulk rolls or buy the 20 pk version) I use either any solvent I have laying around or WD40 is supposed to work well to clean the bore with or the other thing I use is petrol (great for removing the plastic wadding around the chokes (I soak them for a little while and they come up great. Once it's cleaned I just lube them up, wipe down the outside with lanox or anything similar and store away, when ready to use again I mop the bores out to remove the oil and she's ready to go again.

Anyway it sounds like your setup is on it's way to freeing up finally which is great to hear (nothing worse than having to put em over ya knee to get em open LOL.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Aug 2016, 6:55 pm

Good to hear that you got it sorted, :thumbsup:

Just realise that a shottie is a lot like a woman,,,,,,, It takes patience and cunning to get em to work just the way you want.
But a good lube is important.
:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.