Stiff Action on a Shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Stiff Action on a Shotgun

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2016, 3:00 pm

Your welcome Macca, as you found out when new they are quite stiff (some more so than others) but generally over time they will losen up nicely to operate as we would expect them too (you want the action to be tight but not like when new as such) - I think moly grease is ok to use on the hinges and other surface bearing areas, keep the oil to a min as it can run and get into the wood and soften it over time (that's that black look you often see around metal/wood areas not what you want to happen.

Remember to remove the chokes and smear some grease on the threads every now and again too that way they won't get stuck when you want to change them, a little bit of grease in the hinge pins and other areas before each use should keep it running smoothly for years.

I had my Beretta serviced the other day at the the Beretta Field day (cost nothing as part of the Beretta free service for life thing) one of the reasons I bought a Beretta, anyway I was amazed at what they did, the removed the Hinge Pins, lubed them up and rotated them so they wear evenly, locktited diff bits and pieces, lubed diff areas of the trigger mechanism, adjusted the forend and locktited all the screws etc in that, even oiled the stock up all for $0 and even did an adjustment on the pitch of the butt (temporary) and when and if I'm happy with it I can send it down to them to do the trimming etc for free (I pay postage only) you really do get excellent service from them.

Also to clean the barrels I just use Chux cleaning cloth (you can get it in bulk rolls or buy the 20 pk version) I use either any solvent I have laying around or WD40 is supposed to work well to clean the bore with or the other thing I use is petrol (great for removing the plastic wadding around the chokes (I soak them for a little while and they come up great. Once it's cleaned I just lube them up, wipe down the outside with lanox or anything similar and store away, when ready to use again I mop the bores out to remove the oil and she's ready to go again.

Anyway it sounds like your setup is on it's way to freeing up finally which is great to hear (nothing worse than having to put em over ya knee to get em open LOL.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Stiff Action on a Shotgun

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Aug 2016, 6:55 pm

Good to hear that you got it sorted, :thumbsup:

Just realise that a shottie is a lot like a woman,,,,,,, It takes patience and cunning to get em to work just the way you want.
But a good lube is important.
:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.