Hello and a question from Canada about shotguns in Australia

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Hello and a question from Canada about shotguns in Australia

Post by yycadm » 17 Sep 2016, 6:57 am

Hello

Wayne here, from Canada. I'm a retired Airport Manager, married, three kids, 4 grandkids, living in Western Canada on the edge of the Rocky Mountains. I'm a volunteer Search & Rescue technician, and an active, lifelong shooter.

I recently acquired a shotgun that I discovered after the fact had caused quite a furor in Australia last year, and it got me wondering; how did you make out with it?

The shotgun in question is of course the Adler 110. One of the differences in our gun laws from yours makes the version I got something I don't believe is available to you; my A-110 has only got a 13inch barrel, where I believe all you've seen was 20 or 28 inch?

My reasons for buying this shotgun were primarily as a bush gun, for protection against predators. The area we live in, and I get called out to search in, is heavily populated with coyote, wolf, bobcat, cougar, & bears, both black & grizzly. I'd been carrying a Rossi model 92 Ranch Hand in .357 with handloaded 180gr. rounds...hot loads, but not hot enough to knock down an 800 pound grizzly. For that, I needed big bore, & the shortest barrel I could find was 16 1/2in. Marlin Guide gun...too big, too long, too heavy.

The Adler though...it seems to hit the mark. We have access to a number of shorter barreled pump shotguns, but with a 9 in barrel pump gun, the very real possibility of jacking in a round and sliding your hand right off the forestock and in front of the muzzle shooting under pressure is almost a certainty. ( with a large bear charging you, you're definetely under pressure).

The lever action is thinner, your support hand isn't moving, and it has a full stock on it, unlike the shorter pump guns or the Ranch Hand.

I've only put about 300 rounds through the Adler so far, and I've been very happy with it. It's accurate with slugs out to 75 yards, it's intuitive to point, light enough to carry all day, and short enough to manouver in dense brush.

I've read a bunch of news stories about the "rationale" your Government is/was using to try and outlaw them; tell me, were they successful? I sure hope not. You've already got some onerous laws, and saying that as a Canadian with plenty of onerous gun laws of our own, is going a stretch.

Those of you who've had your Adler's for a year or more; are you satified with the gun? Have you had any trouble? How smooth are your actions, have they loosened up with use? Mine is still pretty tight with 300 rounds, although it is a fair bit better than when it was brand new.
yycadm
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Re: Hello!....and a question....

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Sep 2016, 7:19 am

Howdy yycadm:

I'm from/in your little neighbor to the south. I have to say you guys in Canada do make me jealous when it comes to your "easier access" to short barreled shotguns and I believe rifles too. The shortest barreled shot gun I've seen was a Remington 870 the local SWAT had. Its barrel was no longer than the 4 round magazine tube and its pump forearm, while synthetic, had a strap on it for the shooter's hand to fit in just to prevent the situation you mentioned.

I've read with some interest about the Adler shotguns, but it seems that either they are not being imported to the USA or if they are, they are not making it here to Oklahoma.

To all my shooting compatriots in Australia and Canada, as well as the rest of the world. GOD bless you and may freedom prevail.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by yycadm » 19 Sep 2016, 7:47 am

The shortest barrel I've seen up here is a 2+1 pump, pistol grip. The barrel is only about 1/2 in longer than the magazine tube. I've seen one fired, and have NO desire whatsoever to do so myself. The Adler is also only about a 1/2 inch longer than the magazine tube, which will accomodate 4 three inch shells, but the last one is fighting a lot of spring resistance to lock in place. 2 3/4 in. shells are no issue getting the fourth seated without undue pressure.

I've had the Adler out a couple more times, and now have about 150 rds through it. Flawless so far, and the action has smoothed considerably. I would really like to get my hands on a box of those 12 ga.mini rounds you have available in the U.S....then it would become a 6+1 with a 13 in. barrel!
yycadm
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 8:13 am

Welcome :D

We are still waiting on the final verdict for the Adler. They have restricted imports to 5 shot mag but technically not illegal to extend it to legal max.

They aren't technically looking to "ban" them; it is a reclassification that they are looking at. Cat C is for primary producers who can only own one catc shottie and one catc rifle and can only use it on their own primary production property.

Currently, all lever actions are cat A (rim fire & shotties) or cat B (centre fire).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RDobber » 19 Sep 2016, 1:20 pm

Gwion wrote:Currently, all lever actions are cat A (rim fire & shotties) or cat B (centre fire).

FYI yycadm,

Category A and B are the two we civilians are allowed. If it is reclassified to C you can only have one if you are a primary producer (farmer).

I figured that wouldn't mean much to you without further explanation.

Gwion is correct that it's not technically a "ban" but for all intents and purposes it's the same thing.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 Sep 2016, 1:50 pm

Gwion wrote:Welcome :D

We are still waiting on the final verdict for the Adler. They have restricted imports to 5 shot mag but technically not illegal to extend it to legal max.

It is illegal to extend the Adler magazine in NSW.

4.Miscellaneous articles
(4)(e)- a tubular magazine extension that is capable of extending the capacity of any firearm.
www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_ ... /sch1.html
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 3:13 pm

No worries... I don't know all the details for every state, obviously.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Sep 2016, 4:27 pm

yycadm:

The short Aguila mini shotshells are nice, I've used them when I shot Cowboy Action, but that was in a Stevens double barrel scattergun. In break action guns there is no trouble but I've been told that in some pump guns they may have feed problems. I can't try this out since all of my 12 gauges are either break actions or autoloaders.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:yycadm:
.....I can't try this out since all of my 12 gauges are either break actions or autoloaders.

Guess you'll just have to go buy another one, then! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Browning » 20 Sep 2016, 2:34 pm

I've had mine for about 6 months now mate and love it!!!
It is what it is... mine is used as a scrub gun for pigs, both walking and on the quad.... it gets dusty, rained on and knocked around a bit....
It's not the prettiest or best made of shotties, but it hasn't failed once.
The action is already what I'd call "smooth"... I don't pussy foot around, but anyone who has had a go, reckons it's pretty good....
Only thing I can possibly fault is that there are 2 small pins that go through the action.... occasionally one of them starts to wriggle free, (if there's a big mob of pigs with lots of firing)
Other than that it's a beast; groups really tight with OOSG (full choke), takes a beating and with a 5 year warranty and costing $850, what's not to like
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Hello and a question from Canada about shotguns in Austr

Post by Gun-nut » 20 Sep 2016, 4:41 pm

The government is reviewing the National Firearms Agreement later this year which means they'll try to implement further restrictions on us. Which is why I urge everyone to email, ring up or better yet organize meetings with your local, state and federal mps and give em a piece of your mind.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 21 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

Gwion wrote:Guess you'll just have to go buy another one, then! :lol:

I like your thinking :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by DrDerpy » 22 Sep 2016, 10:49 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:

4.Miscellaneous articles
(4)(e)- a tubular magazine extension that is capable of extending the capacity of any firearm.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... /sch1.html

"(4) A detachable firearm magazine of any of the following kinds:"

Given the extension is not easily detachable in the sense of a magazine - I would interpret that as OK.
DrDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 22 Sep 2016, 11:06 pm

DrDerpy wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:

4.Miscellaneous articles
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... /sch1.html

"(4) A detachable firearm magazine of any of the following kinds:"

Given the extension is not easily detachable in the sense of a magazine - I would interpret that as OK.

The word I have is not ok and NSW has 5 round limit.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.