Choosing sports clay gun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Choosing sports clay gun

Post by JohnM » 23 Sep 2016, 8:22 am

1st off ive decided to get back into shooting after letting my license expire about 20 years ago i used to shoot field and game simulated clays with a good old fashioned Mossberg pump action shotty was mostly for fun and was shooting constant 17-20 per 25 round, unfortunately i lost my gun in the amnesty years ago and haven't shot since...
Ive already decided that im going to go with a miroku shotgun the only thing I'm debating is which one to get... I'm flipping between an MK70 and the MK38 sport.. I haven't been able to trial fire any of the guns but ive heard great things about both for clay target, as mentioned above im primarily going with simulated sport discipline with maybe a little dtl.. Ive been doing some serious digging around and ive managed to find both guns brand new at a great price

Miroku MK38 sporter $1359 with fixed chokes

i also found this little beauty on sale for close to $900 less than anywhere else

Miroku MK70 sport limited edition Gold inlay black receiver for $1349 also comes with 5X INVECTOR PLUS CHOKES
the only issue is these are in a gun store in Queensland and I'm in Victoria which isn't a problem i know im just thinking of warranty issues if they arise and having to pay courier costs to send it back.

Or the local gun store here has the stock standard
Miroku MK70 with invertor plus chokes for $1530 which is just up the road if there are any problems.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts people have and opinions and experiences on which gun to get
cheers
JohnM
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Choosing sports clay gun

Post by AusTac » 23 Sep 2016, 9:46 am

Shoulder both and see what you like, it's a very personal thing and something that feels good to me may feel crap to you, have heard good things about Miroku's.

Best shotty i've ever used was a beretta S55.. shot like a dream
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Sep 2016, 9:09 pm

I would go with the mk70 in the area near you so you can personally try it out and shoulder as AusTac said above, it's a very personal thing and you try out both models.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2016, 5:30 am

Whichever one you buy make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to check the fit for you or else it will need to be modified so you can get the best out of it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.