Shotgun Recommendations

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shotgun Recommendations

Post by Deacon » 13 Nov 2016, 3:51 pm

I've never owned a shotgun and i think its about time i fixed that. I'm looking to get a hold of one before the end of the year but i just bought a new 30-30 that i pick upon the 1st so i need to keep it relatively cheap, which pretty much rules out the lever actions from what i've seen. Its hopefully gonna be the "always gun", that is, it comes out every trip and can take a variety of game if myself or the property owners can't decide exactly what i'm going after. Some of the properties i visit have everything from rabbit to deer so its ideally got to be able to do it all in that respect. Anyone have a recommendation under the $500ish mark?

Thanks
Deacon
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Shotgun Recommendations

Post by AusTac » 13 Nov 2016, 4:51 pm

Second hand single barrel 12g shotty, will get you anything but deer in vic ( unless it has a optic ) under $200
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Deacon » 13 Nov 2016, 4:55 pm

What are some of the better single barrels? Or maybe i should ask which ones to avoid :lol: anything in particular to look for in regards to condition? I have almost zero experience with shotguns so am about as clueless as one gets.
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by AusTac » 13 Nov 2016, 5:16 pm

I'm not really up in terms of quality single shotguns but i know the aussie ones a good, i personally have a stevens and its old and beaten up but works a treat if you feel like punishing your shoulder with some slugs
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2016, 5:57 pm

Where is bentaz. He is into SBs
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2016, 6:04 pm

I could cop some flak but here goes.All shotguns point and blow a pattern of shot.You get what you pay for.A super trap gun could cost $2000-$20,000 depending on who you are.some old H&H guns can be half a million or more.you can get a CBC single for around $300 new that will take 3 inch magnum shot shells.I was a shot gunner for many years before I had my first centrefire rifle.pet hate is people who say this gun or that gun kicks.Its the ammo you use.Solids give a good nudge but target ammo has little to no real thump.I had one guy tell me target ammo would not kill parrots.Wow I proved that wrong same day
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 14 Nov 2016, 9:15 am

Are those mossbergs legal because they have front and rear irons?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 14 Nov 2016, 6:30 pm

What you need is a Remington 870 with inter changeable barrels, one smooth bore and one rifled. That would cover all the species listed.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Deacon » 16 Nov 2016, 3:15 pm

happyhunter wrote:What you need is a Remington 870 with inter changeable barrels, one smooth bore and one rifled. That would cover all the species listed.

Yeah I wish mate. Im just a cat AB peasant. I got down to the LGS today and he had a nice little BSA that i ended up going with. Cost me $130 and it looks to be in very tidy condition, a couple of little marks on the stock and a kinda ratty looking recoil pad is all the faults i could find. I thought about those mossbergs but honestly something about a bolt shotgun just seemed so wrong for some reason :lol: not to mention the ~$300 price gap. I'll post some pictures when i get it but thats 28 days away thanks to the Australian Crapital Territory :violin:

Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by AusTac » 16 Nov 2016, 4:38 pm

The ratty looking guns are my favorite, because then i'm not afraid to beat on them a bit
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Deacon » 16 Nov 2016, 5:17 pm

Yeah I don't think I could justify replacing the recoil pad when it would cost half again the price of the gun :lol: What's the cleaning protocol for shotguns by the way? Are they like a 22 where cleaning isn't that important, are they fussy buggers or somewhere in between?
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2016, 5:21 pm

AusTac wrote:The ratty looking guns are my favorite, because then i'm not afraid to beat on them a bit

I'm the same. When a rifle falls off the bench I just pick it up and carry on with whatever I'm doing.
But I've known people that would literally cry, and then battle with the guilt for the rest of their lives :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2016, 6:06 pm

Deacon wrote:Yeah I don't think I could justify replacing the recoil pad when it would cost half again the price of the gun :lol: What's the cleaning protocol for shotguns by the way? Are they like a 22 where cleaning isn't that important, are they fussy buggers or somewhere in between?

I recenty got a recoil pad off evilbay for about $12 to the door. Cheap but seems ok.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 16 Nov 2016, 8:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
AusTac wrote:The ratty looking guns are my favorite, because then i'm not afraid to beat on them a bit

I'm the same. When a rifle falls off the bench I just pick it up and carry on with whatever I'm doing.
But I've known people that would literally cry, and then battle with the guilt for the rest of their lives :-)

Haha my mate dinged my 2 week old beretta 686 once, i was ready to rock slowly in the corner and cry!

And then once at the range i saw a bloke drop his rifle off the bench.. ouchies
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2016, 8:37 am

AusTac wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Haha my mate dinged my 2 week old beretta 686 once, i was ready to rock slowly in the corner and cry!

And then once at the range i saw a bloke drop his rifle off the bench.. ouchies

That's one of the reasons I don't like to spend too much on firearms. Also the foxes and rabbits don't get to see the receipt. :)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 16 Dec 2016, 5:55 pm

Hey fellas, picked up the "new" shotty today. It's a BSA single XII and to be honest I think at $120 it was a steal. The thing is in great nick and I'm hoping I can get it out tomorrow for some bunny testing if the weather stops being so bloody awful. It's actually my first shotgun and the bloke at the LGS threw in a box of shells for free when I told him that. Some pics (apologies if the formatting looks garbage, posting from my phone)

image.jpg
image.jpg (805.2 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (923.41 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 4354 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (876.22 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

Cheers guys
Deacon
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Deacon » 16 Dec 2016, 6:45 pm

Has anyone got one of these or know anything about their trigger?
I just gave it a dry fire and it's insane. Seriously, I'd say it's about as good as the trigger on my t3 if not better. I find it kind of hard to believe that this rough around the edges old cheapo single barrel was rocking this trigger from the factory.
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Dec 2016, 9:20 am

My best SB 12g is the one I got for free. :)
A Stirling. But the trigger is heavy. Anyone know how to improve it?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2016, 9:41 am

I love my Ol Boito, great on the foxes and bunnies and smashes the clays as well as my $2k+ Beretta.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2016, 11:20 am

I so love that BSA.My second motorcycle was a 1968 BSA 250 fleetstar I got for $500 from a uni student I was second owner. I rode it till I went in the Army in 1983.I know where it is but they are an Outlaw cycle gang and I have not got the nerve yet to go ask them for it back.I purchased 3 trident racing pistons which are the same bore and belted that bike as young men do Its handling was perfect compared to jap crap.My dad had picked up a CB 250 somewhere and it totally out performed that.The Yamaha RD 250 stroker was the first small bore that ever beat me of the lights.Have you dated it cos nothing came out of Birmingham after 1972
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.