Cleaning gear for a 12g

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Cleaning gear for a 12g

Post by Bushie » 30 Jan 2017, 10:23 pm

Hey ledges

Just wanted to get all my kit before I get my shotgun, much a new born baby
I'm getting a Miroku Mk70 and I'm unsure as to what cleaning stuff to get, I have a copper brush and a soft mop and some special cleaning sheets, what else would I need and also i got no idea what bore cleaner or gun oil or stuff to get, I want my gun to last for as long as I live so I want to make sure it's looked after properly

Cheers fellas!
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Cleaning gear for a 12g

Post by Mitch » 31 Jan 2017, 5:17 am

On mine i have the following items:

1 piece coated cleaning rod
Brass brush
Mop x 2
Clean patches
G96

My method that seems to work:

Break it down
Spray g96 down the barrels from both ends
Give a few strokes with the brush (dont stop halfway, full length strokes) - how many depends how dirty
Barrel will now be filthy
Now use either mop or a patch over the mop, and patch-out the bore until patches a re clean
Inspect bore, if required do whole lot again
Apply protectant
Store away
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 31 Jan 2017, 5:28 am

A shotgun cleaning kit. Some of the wooden boxed units are pretty flash.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 6:02 am

I just use my Proshot rod with a bronze brush, mop and Hurrican brush if needed, I use either paper towel or chux cleaning cloth for the patches, I soak the chokes in petrol to clean the plastic etc out of them then just lube up with inox or lanox or whatever lube is handy.

Lube the hinge pins each time I use it and it's pretty much good to go.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 6:54 am

What do you guys do after you've cleaned your guns like how do you clean your cleaning stuff? Cause I imagine the mops would get filthy
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 6:59 am

Also what's a good oil for the stocks?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 8:08 am

Nothing fancy used here at all to clean the cleaning gear, mostly I just use the Chux or paper towel to clean mine, lanox or inox as I said to keep things free of rust etc, as for the stock if it's wooden (walnut in my case) I use CCL gunstock oil - seems to keep the stocks looking nourished and healthy looking but would imagine there would be plenty of other oils that would do the same thing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 8:55 am

Thanks everyone, looks like I just need to pick up some solvant or oil and some wood oil, thought it would be way more s**t thank god it's not!
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 31 Jan 2017, 10:28 am

Bushie wrote:Thanks everyone, looks like I just need to pick up some solvant or oil and some wood oil, thought it would be way more s**t thank god it's not!

It's only hard if you make it so.

Some guys go way overboard with their rituals IMO.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 31 Jan 2017, 10:44 am

Just remember the oils on your hands will cause rust marks so the sooner you clean it the better, before it rusts. i oil everything especilly if its going to be a while to the next shoot. The previous comments are pretty much spot on.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 10:56 am

pete1 wrote:Just remember the oils on your hands will cause rust marks so the sooner you clean it the better, before it rusts. i oil everything especilly if its going to be a while to the next shoot. The previous comments are pretty much spot on.

I'll probably only get to to shoot once or twice a month so I would most Definately clean it that afternoon after every shoot?

I've read that you should clean your guns before you first use them but that seems weird to me, any truth behind it?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 31 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

Bushie wrote:
pete1 wrote:Just remember the oils on your hands will cause rust marks so the sooner you clean it the better, before it rusts. i oil everything especilly if its going to be a while to the next shoot. The previous comments are pretty much spot on.

I'll probably only get to to shoot once or twice a month so I would most Definately clean it that afternoon after every shoot?

I've read that you should clean your guns before you first use them but that seems weird to me, any truth behind it?

Some guns come from the manufacture with like a greasy oil down the barrel and over the action cause they can spend a long time in warehouses and at shops. The fist time you use it, you will wear in the gun so don't want metal on metal (just incase the manufacture put a very light coat on the action), best to lube it up. I would recommend a quick clean and oil. If you feel like reading the instructions before you shoot it it may say to clean it.
Check they put the choke in before you shoot it, a friend didn't and damaged the thread on the end. :(
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

Im having an Amateur hour here, do you HAVE to use the chokes if the gun comes with it?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 2:34 pm

Bushie wrote:Im having an Amateur hour here, do you HAVE to use the chokes if the gun comes with it?

Yes or you will damage the treads on the barrels. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm

Yeah definitely wipe your firearms down after each use with some sort of oil, just keeps em safe from rust etc and we all have salts in our skin that leech out so best to do it unless you feel the need to own an orange firearm! :D I doesn't have to be some magical "Firearm Specific" magic lotion potion BS thing, Lanox or Inox should keep them safe from rust and costs around $14 and probably does a better job than some over priced thing with firearms written on it.

Even good ol Sewing Machine oil does a fine job from my experience with using it for 20-30yrs so don't get sucked in into thinking it has to be some over priced firearms specific lube.

:drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

Far out thank god I found that out now
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

Bushie wrote:Far out thank god I found that out now

You wouldn't have been happy if you did shoot it, cost ya a few $$ to sort out no doubt. When you remove the chokes for cleaning give em a light smear of grease on the threads so they can be removed easily each time too :drinks: And make sure you put some grease on those hinge pins and other bearing surfaces too (the owners manual should show you how and where) it's not hard to do and will ensure you keep it in great condition for years to come. (you don't have to go over the top with the grease or oil - just use a little each time) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gregg » 31 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

Bushie wrote:Im having an Amateur hour here, do you HAVE to use the chokes if the gun comes with it?

I don't know what ships with Miroku's but I assume you got a "cylinder choke" with it.

That's the one to use if you want it to shoot 'normally' (for lack of a better term) without making the pattern tighter.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2017, 3:26 pm

BFS has covered it pretty well for normal usage.

HOWEVER
"Some guns come from the manufacture with like a greasy oil down the barrel and over the action cause they can spend a long time in warehouses and at shop."

That is correct. Clean it like BFS said.
But ensure you thourourly clean out the barrels before firing. Otherwise you may get a barrel bulge. That would be a disaster.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Gregg wrote:

I don't know what ships with Miroku's but I assume you got a "cylinder choke" with it.

That's the one to use if you want it to shoot 'normally' (for lack of a better term) without making the pattern tighter.

I'm 90% sure that the bloke said it comes with a set of 5 chokes, still need to read up on those and see what works for me when I get it
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 9:33 pm

Ahh sweet I see yeah I'll remember to grease my chokes no worries

Wondering if you guys could settle a dispute me and a mate are having at the moment, he reckons you should never use a wire brush by going back and forth inside the barrel, and I can see where he's coming from with scratching and stuff but my theory is, copper is way way softer than the steel of a barrel and I figured it should be all good

What do you guys reckon?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm

In rifled barrels I only go in one direction with Bronze brushes, nylon I go both ways, in shotguns I don't think it matters either way (not that I use a brush much at all in those) I generally just run a paper towel or chux through them with shellite or WD40 or any solvent I have at hand, once they are clean I lube them and put them away.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bushie » 31 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm

That's exactly what I thought like for rifled barred I knew it would stuff em but I figured for bored should be all sweet, I can't imagine needing a copper brush after every shoot maybe just for the every 6 month big clean with extractors and all that jazz
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm

Bushie wrote:That's exactly what I thought like for rifled barred I knew it would stuff em but I figured for bored should be all sweet, I can't imagine needing a copper brush after every shoot maybe just for the every 6 month big clean with extractors and all that jazz

Yeah I very rarely use them, the paper towel or chux and one of the cleaners I mentioned sees to keep the bores nice and clean, soak the chokes in petrol to get the plastic etc off them and as I said lube the threads each time you give the chokes a clean and you should be fine. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm

I assume your shotgun comes in a case, if so get one of those gun socks and cut it to the appropriate length to suit the shotgun when broken down, it will help protect the gun from getting too knocked about from the case itself. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pete1 » 01 Feb 2017, 6:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:I assume your shotgun comes in a case, if so get one of those gun socks and cut it to the appropriate length to suit the shotgun when broken down, it will help protect the gun from getting too knocked about from the case itself. :thumbsup:

Agreed gun socks are fantastic keep moisture out stop it from getting scratched etc. another thing with keeping moisture out is when its in the safe put a moisture absorbing block, same as some people may have in the wardrobe. They do a good job and stop moisture building up on the firearms and rusting. plus there like $2 at the hardware so cant complain.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2017, 7:10 am

pete1 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I assume your shotgun comes in a case, if so get one of those gun socks and cut it to the appropriate length to suit the shotgun when broken down, it will help protect the gun from getting too knocked about from the case itself. :thumbsup:

Agreed gun socks are fantastic keep moisture out stop it from getting scratched etc. another thing with keeping moisture out is when its in the safe put a moisture absorbing block, same as some people may have in the wardrobe. They do a good job and stop moisture building up on the firearms and rusting. plus there like $2 at the hardware so cant complain.

What I use Pete to keep the moisture at bay is a reptile heater and I also have run a window seal around the door of the safe too (you get it in rolls at bunnings or any hardware I'd imagine - cost around $7-8 at the time, it's self adhesive backed rubber strip that comes in diff lengths and widths so should be able to find something to suit ones needs.

I'm weary of those hippy type moisture absorbers as I've heard of a few being knocked over and damaging rifles as a result and you have to remember to empty the bloody things too.

There are heating rods called Golden Rods which apparently work well and are designed for safes if memory serves me correctly, I find the reptile heaing mats and cords do a good enough job and are reasonably cheap too from memory. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gregg » 06 Feb 2017, 8:20 am

Bushie wrote:I'm 90% sure that the bloke said it comes with a set of 5 chokes, still need to read up on those and see what works for me when I get it

If that's the case you'll certainly have one.

The choke set will be:

Cylinder
Improved cylinder
Modified
Improved modified
Full

Order is from least constriction to most. With cylinder being the one for most normal/open operation, as mentioned.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 06 Feb 2017, 9:53 pm

I started off with a rod and a brush and all that. Now I have deteriorated to couple of passes with bore snake and some oil or Inox, wipe the wood down with a cloth and that's pretty much it :) It's a pipe with a nail really, so you know, she'll be right...

*Making Bentaz proud.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Feb 2017, 8:02 pm

I don't own a "Good" shotgun so I use a bronze brush dipped in solvent and a cordless drill, half a dozen passes and just like new :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.