Uberti Highwall?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Uberti Highwall?

Post by andym79 » 07 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

Hi guys, does anyone have a Uberti high wall, if so how well made and how accurate are they?

I am considering getting one in 40-65.

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Uberti Highwall?

Post by in2anity » 07 Feb 2017, 8:45 pm

I don't own one - but my mate and I have been researching 45-70s for quite a while now (with the eventual goal to buy one). Basically, the best chance to achieve optimal accuracy in those old straight wall calibers is to opt for a heavy, rigid barrel (usually octagonal). Obviously the thicker barrel the heavier the rifle is going to be.

If you choose a thinner sporter barrel, it's going to be a lot more work to find that load that it really likes (to achieve peak accuracy), but the rifle will generally be shorter and lighter - much more practical for lugging it around in the field. Not to mention, after strings of shots those sporter barrels get HOT, so they're really more appropriate for only a couple of consecutive shots (i.e. hunting situations).

May I ask what your intended use is for it? Will it mainly be a range gun? What do you classify as "accurate"? Also, why choose the rather unusual 40-65? Wouldn't it be better to go with a more common .45? There's just a ton more projectile options for a .45 is all...
Last edited by in2anity on 08 Feb 2017, 7:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 07 Feb 2017, 9:02 pm

andym79 wrote:Hi guys, does anyone have a Uberti high wall, if so how well made and how accurate are they?

Thanks

I have one in 45-70 mate.
Excellent on both counts!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 08 Feb 2017, 7:39 am

.40-65 gear and components are easy to get and you'll have a calibre that's a little different to everyone else's. My Sharps is a .40-65. For longer range shooting a heavier and longer bullet is needed but you can load anywhere from 350 gn to 450 gn.
Last edited by Noisydad on 08 Feb 2017, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 08 Feb 2017, 7:47 am

Haven't got a uberti but have a pedersoli which is a uberti action finished by pedersoli. Uberti offer a lot more options on finish and clambering. With a nice 30-34" Heavy hex barrel they are a really nice rifle to shoot.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

TheDude wrote:Haven't got a uberti but have a pedersoli which is a uberti action finished by pedersoli. Uberti offer a lot more options on finish and clambering. With a nice 30-34" Heavy hex barrel they are a really nice rifle to shoot.

Am I right in observing that the Pedersoli's are up there amongst the highest of quality? I vaguely remember hearing someone say you don't often see ubertis winning comps - the pedersolis on the other hand are always up there on the ladder.

Forbes Australia only recently recommended to me the Pedersoli 34” Rolling Block model “John Bodine” - apparently they are the most popular model with the double set trigger and creedmoor sight as standard. That's what I've currently got my eye on anyway...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 08 Feb 2017, 9:18 am

The pedersoli' are nice. Can't comment on accuracy for the ubertis but the finish on the ones I've seen has been very good
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Feb 2017, 10:28 am

TheDude wrote:The pedersoli' are nice. Can't comment on accuracy for the ubertis but the finish on the ones I've seen has been very good

Yeah I think the finish is more what the ubertis are renowned for (rather than their accuracy).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Feb 2017, 10:51 am

"I don't own one but...." :unknown:
I cringe when I see replies like that. If you don't own one, have never used one or probably never even seen one, the O.P isn't going to be helped by your "expert opinion".
.40-65 is not an "unusual" calibre. It is the second most popular caliber in Black powder Silhouette. It is also not "straight walled" but a tapered case.
Rant over. :evil:
Now for the hopefully helpful bit,
Ubertis are pretty well finished and can be made to shoot quite well. As with all BPCR rifles you have to do a bit of work to find the load / bullet that works best in your rifle. There ain't no free lunch. Of the different calibre Uberti rifles I have shot, .38-55, .40-65, .45-70, and .45-90, those in .40-65 have been most accurate for BPCR Silhouette. (200-500m). If your interest is long range, out to 1000 yards, I would suggest one in .45 calibre. A heavy octagonal or half octagonal- half round barrel would be my preference.
Meacham, Cody, and C.Sharps brands are generally of a higher quality than the Italian guns but are like the proverbial rocking horse sh*t in Australia.
Of the 120 shooters at the NRA BPCR nationals last year there were only 4 shooting Italian made guns. They are more popular in Australia purely due to availability and cost. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Feb 2017, 12:19 pm

Gamerancher wrote:"I don't own one but...." :unknown:
I cringe when I see replies like that. If you don't own one, have never used one or probably never even seen one, the O.P isn't going to be helped by your "expert opinion".

Wow mate that's a pretty harsh response; I said "I don't own one but...." so OP would take my input as unsubstantiated (i.e. acknowledging that my opinion is far from being expert on this subject matter). Who said anything about me being an expert? Anyway, do you feel what I said about barrel weight and accuracy is wrong? I was just trying to pass on fairly general information mate, jesus :unknown: Perhaps such a reaction would be warranted if i didn't specify "I don't own one" i.e. if I was pretending to know about something I really don't.

I get you're probably the "almighty experienced" when it comes to old blackpowder rifles, and that you probably have a Uberti that shoots damn well, but does that give you the right to behave like a pretentious a$$hole towards others who are merely trying to offer some advice/ have an open discussion in a normally pretty friendly forum?

Is your expectation that contributors to forums should be limited to only the most elite of subject matter?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Feb 2017, 1:06 pm

Like I said ,Rant over.
Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to correct inaccurate assumptions. Okay, the "expert" was probably a little too much.
If it makes you feeI better I don't claim to be "almighty" either. Not trying to be pretentious and I don't stoop to name-calling.
I suggest you read the original question. I was trying to relate the actual experience that he asked for.
No, you don't have to be "the most elite of subject matter" to contribute to a discussion, but some knowledge of the topic before offering "advice" would be more helpful than repeating hearsay and assumptions.
B.T.W. I don't own any Ubertis either, but I have developed loads in a number of them for mates that own them, have used them in competition and have shot beside / against fella's that shoot them. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Feb 2017, 1:46 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Like I said ,Rant over.
Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to correct inaccurate assumptions. Okay, the "expert" was probably a little too much.
If it makes you feeI better I don't claim to be "almighty" either. Not trying to be pretentious and I don't stoop to name-calling.
I suggest you read the original question. I was trying to relate the actual experience that he asked for.
No, you don't have to be "the most elite of subject matter" to contribute to a discussion, but some knowledge of the topic before offering "advice" would be more helpful than repeating hearsay and assumptions.
B.T.W. I don't own any Ubertis either, but I have developed loads in a number of them for mates that own them, have used them in competition and have shot beside / against fella's that shoot them. :drinks:

Mate just keep it above the belt alright; I really don't like punching back either, but I sure will where it's due. I've seen your posts and I know you are extremely knowledgeable (a lot more than I am), and I totally respect you coming in and correcting my contributions, but just do it like a gentlemen rather than sounding like a smart a$$ on a pedestal.

What I was pointing out to OP was that you need to consider the heavy octagonal barrels if accuracy is important to you, and that I've read that Ubertis aren't the most accurate in that school of rifles (if accuracy is so important) - I don't see how that information is irrelevant hearsay and assumptions. And hey I stand corrected about the 40-65; but you said yourself that a 45-70 would be better.

We have little idea of how experienced OP is; heck this might be his first rifle and he needs plenty of guidance (highly likely that it's not his first rodeo, but just consider my point).

Rant over :evil: :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 12 Feb 2017, 11:27 am

andym79 wrote:Hi guys, does anyone have a Uberti high wall, if so how well made and how accurate are they?

Thanks

Target was shot this morning at 50m using my own 405 gn hand loads with the standard sights.
Ten shots ( The top one was my usual first shot flyer ) in the group,
The rifle shoots much better than my abilities and slowly failing eyesight allows!!!
Hope this helps!!
Mick.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 7678 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 7678 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 7678 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 7678 times
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 12 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

Thanks for that great looking rifle
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mick280 » 12 Feb 2017, 3:05 pm

No worries mate!!
I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you happen to get one!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Feb 2017, 7:19 pm

Mick280
You could have picked a lot easier aiming mark for your "slowly failing eyesight" :) or do you just aim at the centre of all that blackness and disreguard the yellow lines? :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 12 Feb 2017, 7:31 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Mick280
You could have picked a lot easier aiming mark for your "slowly failing eyesight" :) or do you just aim at the centre of all that blackness and disreguard the yellow lines? :)

Hahaha
It was a bloody struggle mate!!!
Not quite the right target for the application I don't think but it was the only one I could scare up at the time!!!
Mick. :thumbsup:
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Feb 2017, 7:46 pm

Mick280 wrote: 405 gn hand loads with the standard sights.

Mick if you don't mind my asking, what projectiles are you using there?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 12 Feb 2017, 9:18 pm

in2anity wrote:
Mick280 wrote: 405 gn hand loads with the standard sights.

Mick if you don't mind my asking, what projectiles are you using there?

Don't mind at all mate.
They're Westcasting's!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Feb 2017, 6:13 am

Mick280 wrote:Don't mind at all mate.
They're Westcasting's!!
Mick.

I thought they looked like Westcasting's - I'm currently chewing through a big batch of .30 cal Westcasting's myself. They also throw that first shot flier before tightening right up :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 13 Feb 2017, 8:57 am

Westcasting's,HRBC,Barnes,Nosler,Hornady,Sierra.
They all bloody do it to me!!! :crazy: :lol:
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Feb 2017, 9:24 am

Mick280 wrote:Westcasting's,HRBC,Barnes,Nosler,Hornady,Sierra.
They all bloody do it to me!!! :crazy: :lol:
Mick.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack OP - but Mick check out these Westcasting's 100yd 30-30 groups:

lubed_s.jpg
Westcasting's 165RNGP Black Premiums, pan lubed
lubed_s.jpg (39.34 KiB) Viewed 5950 times

100yd_2207_s.jpg
Marlin 336 30-30, 100yds
100yd_2207_s.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 5950 times

That's with a light sporter barrel too, I reckon they'd have a lot of potential in nice HB 45-70 :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:51 am

Nice group mate!! ( Do you have optics on your Marlin or just better eyes than me ? )
I've been using Westcasting's for a year or so now,after HRBC became a bit hard to get hold of.
I use them in my .45 Colts ( Pistols and Rifle ) My 38-55 and both my 45-70's and find them to be a really good product.
Finished of much better than some of the others!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Feb 2017, 11:22 am

Mick280 wrote:Nice group mate!! ( Do you have optics on your Marlin or just better eyes than me ? )

Yeah that's with an old x4 fixed Tasco - sure does help realise the potential of a rifle/load. I normally run peeps on it but I was collecting data about actual trajectory that day - stretched it out to 300yds with really promising results, could've gone further if I had the elevation for it. The peeps I have for it can be bloody accurate too though (fortunately my eyesight seems to be still hanging around 8-) ), but sometimes under certain lighting it can get tricky and quite fatiguing. The peeps have considerably more elevation which is a plus.

I'm currently waiting on some target apertures that should help considering the rather short sight radius on the 336, but I must say it's going to feel a bit unintuitive regressing to peeps again after results like that :unknown: I do really love that current configuration/load - very practical/lethal indeed!

Mick280 wrote:I've been using Westcasting's for a year or so now,after HRBC became a bit hard to get hold of.
I use them in my .45 Colts ( Pistols and Rifle ) My 38-55 and both my 45-70's and find them to be a really good product.
Finished of much better than some of the others!!
Mick.

Yeah I hear you - I'm going to go back and give HRBC another try once I get through these Westcastings - I think they've got the new workshop sorted out now as they seem quite responsive on Facebook chat. HRBCs seemed to work better with Trail Boss than Westcastings - perhaps a slightly better plinker?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 13 Feb 2017, 3:46 pm

Yeah,I only use Trailboss for my single action rounds because of the volume of rounds needed,so at the short ranges we shoot I don't notice the difference.
On the sights,I have peeps on my scrub gun ( .375 Win ) and they are becoming difficult for me to use.
Off to OPSM very soon!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.