Impulsively bought an Adler, now what?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Impulsively bought an Adler, now what?

Post by MrB » 17 Feb 2017, 11:41 pm

Hey fellas,

Last week I was in my local firearms store to buy a new target 22. After I had made my purchase and was walking out however my eyes fell on the Adlers they had for sale and naturally, out of a want to stick it to the government, I decided on an impulse to buy one.

I have never owned or fired shotguns before and I am only now thinking, "great I have this thing, what on earth can I do with it."

I thought that eventually I would use it to do some rabbit or fox hunting but first I wanted to put some time in with it at the range to get my bearings. Unfortunately my regular range only accommodates 22LR.

Can you guys recommend some good shotgun ranges in Melbourne for beginners to learn the ropes?

Cheers,

Mr B

PS: I'm a new poster around here but have been following the forum for a while, thanks for all your contributions, its been a great source of knowledge for me and I am sure many others.
MrB
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Impulsively bought an Adler, now what?

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 12:05 am

FYI - Frankston shotgun range doesn't allow Adler
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 12:35 am

juststarting wrote:FYI - Frankston shotgun range doesn't allow Adler

are you serious ?
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 12:52 am

Yep.

I was (note: was) a member, until a friend got an Adler and we wanted to make it a regular weekend thing, since we are not too far from the club. I gave them a call (maybe 6 months ago) to see if there were no comps on the day and mentioned that I will be bringing a guest. Long story short, they lost 1 potential member; and one actual member.

Fuds, that's all I can say.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 1:03 am

bloody hell with so called clubs like this how needs the government

someone said when you see LAFOS and clubs self imposing regs and such ya screwed you have lost the war .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2017, 1:06 am

When I first started shotgunning I made up 3 foot squares of thick heavy cardboard and painted them white then shot at them from between 30 and 40 metres to see how different chokes perform and different types of shot sizes.After each trial you can spray the pattern with white and start again.At 50 metres target ammo will possibly not penetrate 25 mm of cardboard but heavy field loads of no 4 shot will.shotgunning is great fun and the available ammo is cheap and reloadable.Go enjoy
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2017, 1:13 am

I just read the other posts.what the hell some of the best trap and skeet shooters in the world use semi auto.I know i did with a 3 shot winchester.If you have one up the spout and one in the mag ready to cycle why cant you shoot trap and skeet with a lever gun.There is plenty of time to cycle and swing between clays even on a double shoot.This must be because of all the hoopla over the 7 shot mag
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 1:21 am

Don't know. I do miss it, but I vote with my wallet. I'll give them a call next week and see if anything changed.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 1:31 am

duncan61 wrote:I just read the other posts.what the hell some of the best trap and skeet shooters in the world use semi auto.I know i did with a 3 shot winchester.If you have one up the spout and one in the mag ready to cycle why cant you shoot trap and skeet with a lever gun.There is plenty of time to cycle and swing between clays even on a double shoot.This must be because of all the hoopla over the 7 shot mag

I think you will find that this is the same prejudice that was rife in 86 and 96 it runs along the lines

of we don't care about you lot and if we keep out of it they will leave us alone :allegedly: it is the

main reason that things will never change for the better in this country .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2017, 2:02 am

I have been apathetic and have taken it up the kyber pass for too long.I was so grateful they let me have a centrefire rifle but this is to much.To discriminate against what is a tube with a firing mechanism for shooting shotshells that has been around for 150 years
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

'cause its a rapid fire thingie, theyd have to upgrade the range safety....

op, where do you live? if you can find a bit of state forest.... blast away..sorry, i meany either "zero your firearm or hunt" :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Feb 2017, 9:28 am

I think it's more a safety thing and the fact you should only need 2 shots max to bust clays and that fact they aren't really designed for shooting clays with (mind you I've busted plenty of clays with Adlers so they can't be too bad at it) :lol:

I can't say I disagree with the feelings here, I don't have a problem with whatever you want to use shotgun wise to bust a few clays, to me the action is irrelevant, so long as we all have the same amount of shots per clay I say go for it and use whatever floats ya boat. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Walt68 » 18 Feb 2017, 9:32 am

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: Remove the weapons grade Plutonium and sell it to for 4 Billion dollars :lol: :lol: :lol:
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Title_II » 18 Feb 2017, 10:44 am

What a crock. Our own worst enemies.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2017, 11:32 am

Pathetic fudds !

It would be interesting to get their reasoning in writing. .. just for a laugh.

I've been blasting clays with my adler for practice and it has certainly helped me learn to cycle the action well while keeping reasonably close to the target. Too bad this particular club can't see the merit in allowing someone to practice their lever action shotgun skills.

Clubs seem to be losing their way and totally forgetting what a clubs fundamental purpose is ... to encourage new people into shooting, to teach safety and marksmanship.

The more I hear about clubs the less interested I get.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MrB » 18 Feb 2017, 11:44 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

op, where do you live? if you can find a bit of state forest.... blast away..sorry, i meany either "zero your firearm or hunt" :thumbsup:

Hey mate, I live in Malvern so the closest state forest to me would probably be Wombat. Might go up there for the afternoon one weekend, take a walk and get some familiarity with it. I'm not a 4WD'er though so accessing the interiors may be a hassle.

Does anyone have an familiarity with shotgunning at Little River? I have never been shotgunning there before but I think they have the facilities for it?

And thanks for all your comments guy, very helpful to me.
MrB
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 18 Feb 2017, 1:23 pm

just pop down to little river mate.
they are open Friday through Monday.
they have a clay thrower at the end of the range that you can use to shoot some clays and you are also welcome to use your shotgun on the main range also.
little river is pretty good, they don't have any dumb rules (that I know of) and are very accommodating.
only problem is they can get very busy especially on weekends.
and the canteen there does pretty good food also
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 18 Feb 2017, 3:29 pm

MrB wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

Hey mate, I live in Malvern so the closest state forest to me would probably be Wombat. Might go up there for the afternoon one weekend, take a walk and get some familiarity with it. I'm not a 4WD'er though so accessing the interiors may be a hassle.

Does anyone have an familiarity with shotgunning at Little River? I have never been shotgunning there before but I think they have the facilities for it?

And thanks for all your comments guy, very helpful to me.

Wombat is isn't it State Park, cant shoot there to my knowledge.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Feb 2017, 3:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

Pathetic fudds !

I've been blasting clays with my adler for practice and it has certainly helped me learn to cycle the action well while keeping reasonably close to the target. Too bad this particular club can't see the merit in allowing someone to practice their lever action shotgun skills.

Clubs seem to be losing their way and totally forgetting what a clubs fundamental purpose is ... to encourage new people into shooting, to teach safety and marksmanship.

Reached that level quite a few years ago now, too many legends and experts for my liking so gave it away completely unless I want to sight in a rifle but hardly even bother with them for that now, rather just head to the paddocks, sort it out there and then go for a hunt, less hassles, less bulls**t and a ****** more fun being in the paddock shooting ferals than at some range shooting holes in cardboard etc, just doesn't do it for me anymore, I love going for a shot then cutting some firewood, to me that's a great day out, not putting up with some over opinionated wannabee who will never be. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gun-nut » 18 Feb 2017, 5:22 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

Pathetic fudds !

Reached that level quite a few years ago now, too many legends and experts for my liking so gave it away completely unless I want to sight in a rifle but hardly even bother with them for that now, rather just head to the paddocks, sort it out there and then go for a hunt, less hassles, less bulls**t and a ****** more fun being in the paddock shooting ferals than at some range shooting holes in cardboard etc, just doesn't do it for me anymore, I love going for a shot then cutting some firewood, to me that's a great day out, not putting up with some over opinionated wannabee who will never be. :thumbsup:

Agreed, I also prefer the peace and "quiet" of shooting alone in the bush. Its also a bonus that I don't have to wait to find a bench at the local range.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Feb 2017, 7:17 pm

Never had to wait at Little River.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 18 Feb 2017, 7:25 pm

If have had to wait a couple of times, get there a bit late on a nice still weekend and your probably gunna have to wait. On the up side the canteen is good place to wait
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Feb 2017, 8:53 pm

pete1 wrote:Wombat is isn't it State Park, cant shoot there to my knowledge.

You're right, its a forest, so you can shoot there....

any park or reserve or sanctuary is a no go one for guns....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.