Clays and Hunting Shotgun.

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Clays and Hunting Shotgun.

Post by bradleyjohno » 23 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm

Hello guys and gals, new to the forum and guns. Like its learning how to ride a bike right now and trying to do a wheelie, very hard to get my head around but doing very slowly, learning chokes and what they do, all that kind of stuff. My question is in your opinions do you think a over and under shotgun is better for clays because better aim than a side by slide and easier to load? Would it be good for hunting as well? Rabbit, ducks and foxes.I am going to Gun Emporium and Melbourne Gun Works this weekend, with a mate that posts frequently on here and I was originally looking at the Webley Scott 912K because its cheap and good for the price you are paying but I called up Melbourne Gun works and they said the production of them stopped or slowed down so no one really has them they think. I have alreadly held the gun before and un-cocked it and aimed, etc and I liked the lenght and weight. (30") But I want your opinion as well on the Akkar Churchill Sporter and the Trap version. whats the difference? They are both the same price nearly. I am sorry that I am all over the place, just I have so many question but don't know what to ask. Also any suggestions for a gun to look at while I am in store, thanks for the help and any extra information I should know please tell me.
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Clays and Hunting Shotgun.

Post by Corn » 26 Mar 2017, 2:27 pm

Hey BJ
How did you go?
Did you purchase a shotgun?
I have a Browning and a Beretta, I use both for clay target shooting (but they can be used for hunting etc.) Both are the more affordable models in the Browning & Beretta ranges. Both are "Over & Under" (that term maybe correct but for some reason it annoys me!) Too me, most shotguns used for Clay targets appear to be O & U. However, I have seen a couple of side by side shotguns being used where I shoot clays. (usually, some of the older guys at the club!)
Chokes.... hmmm.... A quick google search will provide all the information about what they do and what chokes to use, in what barrel etc. Once you have a little experience shooting clays, you'll have a bit of an understanding of chokes and then maybe change them around.
Clay target shells (ammo) are different from shells you may use for Duck (as an example) hunting.
I don't hunt with my shotguns, maybe someone here can offer their opinions on different shells they use for shotgun hunting. The guys at your local gun shop will be able to help with advice on hunting ammo/shells.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 99problems » 26 Mar 2017, 2:45 pm

Have a look at beretta silver pigeon or browning citori. Both virtually indestructible, and both hold their value in the second hand market.

I personally have a silver pigeon sporter and use it for clays and hunting. If bunny blowing I use the Winchester bushman 4 shot
99problems
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bradleyjohno » 26 Mar 2017, 3:59 pm

Corn, unfortunately I have to wait till I am 18 to buy my own gun, because my parents have no interest in guns. I also want to find some place where I can test out a variety of shotguns and see what I like as well, but no luck so far, I just want my heart set on something before I buy the shotgun. I'll leave this page open for what I'm up to, for getting the shotgun, also still in the process of getting my lisence.

Now, 99problems. I have a price limit of 1.5k and browning guns exceeds that by far, but I will have a look at the Silver Pigeon Shorter.

One question what's the difference between a Shorter Shotgun and a Trap shotgun. And we'll I'm off to work, talk later! Thanks!!!
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 26 Mar 2017, 5:18 pm

Only under/over shotties are used in Olympic competition, enough said.

Sporter shotguns have a flatter rib for shooting targets at ground level.

Trap shotguns have higher, tapered ribs to allow for clays rising into the air. The theory being , the tapered rib causes the gun to shoot a bit high, allowing you to aim more at the clay with less lead (as in leed) on the target.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bradleyjohno » 26 Mar 2017, 11:11 pm

SupaDuke, can you still use a Shorter for clays? If so will it just be harder?
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 Mar 2017, 11:52 pm

Aahhh The wonderful world of shotgunning.S/S are traditionally a farmers gun and have a standard stock.Trap and skeet are shot with an U/O combination.The U/O may have been designed for competition and can have a custom stock .Both will work,I shot trap with a circa 1888 Martini Henry action Greener shotgun and still broke plenty of clays.clay shot is between 7 and 9 shot where ducks are better shot with 4 to BB.There are a lot of combinations of shot/chokes you just have to work it out.BBs will fold up Rabbits out to about 80-100 metres but if one busts out at 30 metres and you pattern it there will not be a lot left.When I shotgunned the field I had 2 shotshell belts and knew where all the different loads were.SG buckshot will drop pigs and kangaroos and then there are solids and sabots.There are a lot of good U/O shotguns in the $1500 mark go for it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 12:18 am

:D :D
small_skb_500.jpg
small_skb_500.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
Check this baby
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 12:21 am

small_es3035ecs_1479783221_1487196892.jpg
small_es3035ecs_1479783221_1487196892.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
:D :D$995 brand new
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bradleyjohno » 27 Mar 2017, 1:01 am

What gun is the first one duncan61? I guess a Sporter is the way to go.
Last edited by bradleyjohno on 27 Mar 2017, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 1:33 am

SKB 500 12g Shotgun $875 from aus gun sales
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 1:51 am

Find your nearest clay target club and go down and have a shoot.I am in W.A.and all the ones I have attended have been very welcoming and have club shotguns and ammo to use.Its actually an aggressive sport and you make a stance and go after the clays with gusto.Recoil on shotguns is dependant on the ammo used and most clay target ammo is 1-1 and a quarter once of 7 shot that gives a push as you let it go
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 27 Mar 2017, 6:08 am

Sporters can be used for clays no probs. They simply have a slightly different point of aim.

Sporters are the jack of all trades. Quite capable for any discipline of clay shooting and hunting.

Trap guns are better at clays but not as good at hunting.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bradleyjohno » 28 Mar 2017, 9:37 am

duncan61, I have a local shooting range/gun club I will call them up and ask them what they can do for me. Just got to wait for my lisence.

Thanks Supa duke, I will be going to some gun shops this weekend and I will tell you what I have decided on and I will look at the SKY 500 12g duncan61.
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Charles Da Last » 29 Mar 2017, 12:45 pm

Firstly, forget a side by side as has already been mentioned.
It can be confusing when starting out but bear in mind the following points. All shotguns shoot straight, not high/low or left/right. The only thing that changes is how someone looks down the barrel. If you look down the barrel from a higher point (eye higher than the barrel looking down to the end bead) then it will appear the gun is shooting higher than what you are aiming at. If your eye is lower (so line of sight runs flat along the rib) then the gun will shoot flatter (exactly what you are looking at with your eye). This explains the comment about tapered ribs shooting higher.
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Shotgun types you can mix and match everything but they are generally marketed as Trap, Sporter & Field.
Trap guns are generally heavier and bigger in most regards. When you are shooting trap the gun is pre-mounted and you don't need something you can move so easily. The rib is often higher and slightly tapered (closer to the barrel at the end), barrels are normally 30"-32", the stock is higher so the head is normally more upright. A bigger gun with longer barrels generally has less recoil than a lighter gun with shorter barrels.
A sporter is probably the middle ground gun. It has a flatter rib and lower stock, normally 28"-32" barrels. The gun is designed to hunt and shoot sporting clays (which effectively replicate hunting). A sporter is normally shot gun down (not pre-mounted to the shoulder) so it is historically a bit lighter and more 'whippy' than a trap gun. Having said that there are many top shooters who are shooting sporting disciplines with big guns, mid-high ribs, adjustable stocks and 32" barrels. This Saturday just gone I was shooting a comp with an ex-national champion and he shooting sporting clays with a 32" trap gun.
A field gun is a stripped down sporter, lower stock again, thinner stock (less wood), 28"-30" barrels. It is marketed as being light and easy to carry around whilst hunting.
HIstorically Trap guns had a beavertail/semi-beavertail forend, sporters has a schnabel forend and field guns had an english forend. These days people mix and match as to whatever they like.
I have had a few trap guns but now shoot only sporters and can put together a reasonable A grade trap score but if I was serious about being an AA grade shooter I would probably buy another trap gun. These days I shoot sporting clays almost exclusively so happy to stick with the same gun for those times I shoot trap or skeet.
A good gun to start with would be a 30" sporter with a schnabel forend and a multi-choke system.
Personally, I would advise you to steer away from cheap guns or guns that do not have a good footprint in Australia because if you need repairs or servicing then you may get stuck for parts or the know-how - nothing worse than a gun out of action for months. If you can stick with Browning or Beretta and as mentioned the Silver Pigeon or Citori then you won't go wrong. You can buy either of these at around $1500 pre-owned in superb condition. I'm a Browning and Blaser shooter but would say that at the lower price point Beretta make a better gun than Browning from the few I have shot.
Whatever you buy, just make sure it feels right and fits you. If you are 6'6" you dont want a pissy little gun with a short stock, vice versa if you are 5'5". You need someone who really knows what to look at with gun fit. This is the biggest benefit of buying new. If your most comfortable position on a gun has your eye out by just a couple of mm then that will translate to several feet at the target. You need professional advice with regard to gun fit.
Get someone to check your eye dominance or google on how to check it yourself.If you happen to have an eye dominance opposite your hand dominance then you may be better off starting out shooting with the hand other than the one you would normally, it will save you lots of grief over the years.
When you get your gun, pattern it properly so you are confident of where it is shooting relative to where you are looking.
Join a club. You'll learn loads and be taught good habits about gun safety.
Join Field & Game Australia. They are a quality organisation and have shoots every weekend around Melbourne.
Enjoy shooting.
Charles Da Last
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 29 Mar 2017, 5:51 pm

best explanation ever.I have learned a lot
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Corn » 01 Apr 2017, 8:11 pm

When I bought my Beretta, it came with a free fitting service done at their 'office' in Dandenong Victoria.
Also, it comes with free servicing, done only at events where Beretta attend, which is about 8 - 10 (i'm guessing) a year. Otherwise, Beretta do in-house servicing at their Dandenong facility.
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MasterB1aster » 07 May 2018, 10:19 am

How does Miroku stand up, and which model?
Cheers,
MasterB1aster...
MasterB1aster
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.