Stiff Shotgun

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Stiff Shotgun

Post by Bushie » 10 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

So I have a Miroku Mk70 that I treat like royalty , clean it immediately after getting home from the range , apply a nice layer of grease over the hinge pin and ejectors and then back into the sock until I take her out to range again

However I have had one problem with it since I bought it , I never seem to have an issue whenever I only shoot one barrel but when I use both and try and break it open it's very very stiff and sometimes the ejectors don't even do anything I have to pull the shells out myself

I've heard a few things like take a light file to it only a few strokes and that should fix it but I'm not really sure where or if I really would want to do that?

It's going in the shop for a new pad in a few weeks so if there's no fix for it soon I'll ask the gunsmith but I don't imagine that would be cheap??

What do you guys think?

Edit : I've put about 1000 shells through it
Last edited by Bushie on 10 Jun 2017, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Stiff Shotgun

Post by Gun-nut » 10 Jun 2017, 7:54 pm

Depending on how stiff it is, I'd say just wear it in through use. But because you say its not ejecting shells then you may have a problem. Take it to a smith just to be sure. Seems to be much too tight but I'm no expert.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tom Foolery » 10 Jun 2017, 8:38 pm

Is the cost of taking it to a gun smith that expensive when compared to the purchase price and running several thousand shells through it over it's lifetime?
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bushie » 10 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:Is the cost of taking it to a gun smith that expensive when compared to the purchase price and running several thousand shells through it over it's lifetime?

For a student, any cost is too much :lol:
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tom Foolery » 10 Jun 2017, 10:16 pm

Student 'ay? Sounds like you're about to become a gun smithing student.... :D

Or you could wait for someone with a Miroku shotgun to reply.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Jun 2017, 11:21 pm

My bet would be that when you've only fired one barrel, you are only having to cock one hammer, when you've fired both barrels you are now cocking both barrels when you break open the action
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2017, 12:45 am

Bushie wrote:So I have a Miroku Mk70 that I treat like royalty , clean it immediately after getting home from the range , apply a nice layer of grease over the hinge pin and ejectors and then back into the sock until I take her out to range again

However I have had one problem with it since I bought it , I never seem to have an issue whenever I only shoot one barrel but when I use both and try and break it open it's very very stiff and sometimes the ejectors don't even do anything I have to pull the shells out myself

I've heard a few things like take a light file to it only a few strokes and that should fix it but I'm not really sure where or if I really would want to do that?

It's going in the shop for a new pad in a few weeks so if there's no fix for it soon I'll ask the gunsmith but I don't imagine that would be cheap??

What do you guys think?

Edit : I've put about 1000 shells through it

My Stoeger Condor is pretty stiff, but I just put it down to my stuffed shoulders :-)
My ejectors only work at the very end of the stroke in mine so I can open it and remove the shells manually if I want. If I break it all the way it lobs the shells over my shoulder. I would think that if mine weren't so stiff I'd lose that option of manual extraction so I haven't tried to address it.
I've read that some grinding paste on the hinge surface can reduce the friction.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 11 Jun 2017, 9:12 am

Stuff shoulders aye? Welcome to The club 2 shoulder reco' s before the age of 16 :lol:

I Was always worried it was something serious wrong but it doesn't seem to uncommon
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2017, 9:25 am

Bushie wrote:Stuff shoulders aye? Welcome to The club 2 shoulder reco' s before the age of 16 :lol:

I Was always worried it was something serious wrong but it doesn't seem to uncommon

I smashed the left in '04 and the right in '14 :-)
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6560&p=99772#p99772
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 11 Jun 2017, 12:36 pm

Farrr out mate that's way more gnarly then mine, just had some keyhole :o

Does it ever get in the way of shooting??
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2017, 4:35 pm

Bushie wrote:Farrr out mate that's way more gnarly then mine, just had some keyhole :o

Does it ever get in the way of shooting??

It's never going to stop me from shooting, but the pain can get pretty intense, especially after the 12-gauge or Mosin Nagant :-)
Also, after a session reloading it's very sore the following day. I ran a nine-inch circular saw through my right wrist in 1990 so chronic pain is nothing new to me ;-)
I didn't sleep last night because I just couldn't get comfortable on it so I've been napping today. I spent a few hours last week decontaminating my butt which probably wasn't good for the shoulder, but I recovered 7.5kg of bullets :-)

When shooting from a supported position I prefer to run the bolt with my left hand, but I don't think that's related to my shoulders, just feels cleaner to me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 11 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

Jeez mate power to ya! You still got the hand tho yeah can't imagine reloading would be easy with one hand?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2017, 7:24 pm

Bushie wrote:Jeez mate power to ya! You still got the hand tho yeah can't imagine reloading would be easy with one hand?

Yes, they saved my hand, although I was adamant they were lying to me until they unwrapped it to show me :-)
I'm a roof carpenter and the damage to my hand never stopped me working, once I'd recovered of course - I did have eight months off. My right thumb doesn't really do much, but it sticks out handily so I can hook stuff onto it. I never managed to develop much dexterity at all with my left hand. Because the thumb retractor tendon is not connected, the muscle that runs along the underside of my arm has wasted away, but even the scar is not too obvious nowadays. The only retractor I didn't cut was the little finger. I gave up handwriting in 1990 :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

"I gave up handwriting in 1990 :-)"

Obviously took to typing though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"I gave up handwriting in 1990 :-)"

Obviously took to typing though.

Indeed :-)
Typing is easy, and my thumb is just where it needs to be for the space bar :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 14 Jun 2017, 8:35 am

My Miroku MK10 is also a little stiff on the break, even more so when I've shot two shells and the ejectors will need to work. I've not had any issues with ejection however, and mine is only 4-5 months old. From memory the ejection is right near the end of the break action, but still, never had an issue. My brother in laws MK70 is the same, a little loser given he's had his longer but still a bit stiff.

I'd be getting it checked out.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.