Steel shot in oldish 12g?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Steel shot in oldish 12g?

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Aug 2017, 8:23 pm

Got the answer I was after. Thanks anyway
Attachments
_20170817_194636.JPG
B
_20170817_194636.JPG (614.74 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Steel shot in oldish 12g?

Post by rsj223 » 17 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm

Well tell us all
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Aug 2017, 8:05 am

Barrels are chrome lined so should be fine with steel shot but one barrel is full choke........ Full choke + steel shot + old gun = not the best idea
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

Bent Arrow wrote:Barrels are chrome lined so should be fine with steel shot but one barrel is full choke........ Full choke + steel shot + old gun = not the best idea

But the wad prevents the shot from touching the bore regardless doesn't it?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Aug 2017, 7:25 pm

Good point BR
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Aug 2017, 7:54 pm

Yep, from what I have been reading the wad should prevent contact between the shot and barrel., It's the full choke that is the heart of the problem with steel shot.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Yep, from what I have been reading the wad should prevent contact between the shot and barrel., It's the full choke that is the heart of the problem with steel shot.

In what way though? Surely it'll just press into the wad like lead shot does as it goes through the choke?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Aug 2017, 8:22 pm

All I know is what I have read on different forums, so it could well be complete bulls**t.......but there is a pretty consistent line out there that steel shot doesn't compress like lead so has potential for creating a bulge in the barrel and potentially popping sight beads and/or barrels. General consensus seems to be that IM and full chokes and steel shot aren't a good combination..........I'm not keen on running steel shot through a 50 year old gun and finding out the hard way
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by hunting99 » 18 Aug 2017, 9:14 pm

+1
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 18 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

there was a big scare campaign when steel shot was introduced to have shooters believe that the steel shot would blow up your gun, maybe it was a salesman who started it to try sell more new steel proof shotguns, anyway the DSE at that time did a test and found that half choke was the max you could use or you risked ringing your barrel at the chokes usually in under twenty shots, they said at that time that it was a cosmetic thing and there was no danger in your older gun blowing up, the problems are that chokes sizes are different considering where the gun is made eg: turkish chokes are much tighter than british ect going by choke gauges so IMO if you want to use an older shotty for steel get the full opened up to half and go for it, the steel has a lot more boot than lead so your shotty will get rattly much quicker but if you are not shooting steel over clays I dont see a problem
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2017, 11:11 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Yep, from what I have been reading the wad should prevent contact between the shot and barrel., It's the full choke that is the heart of the problem with steel shot.

I have often wondered about that.
Actuality it isn't steel, soft iron. Fair bit of difference.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hadoku » 19 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

rsj223 wrote:Well tell us all

I know right, lol
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.