.410 shotgun options

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

.410 shotgun options

Post by Hugh » 16 Sep 2017, 6:37 am

Anybody had anything to do with Bulwark lever action or Circuit Judge shotguns,would love the Henry but just to expensive,again on hunt low recoil options.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: .410 shotgun options

Post by Mitch » 16 Sep 2017, 7:59 am

Adller?
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hugh » 16 Sep 2017, 9:34 am

Thanx yes they do a 410 at a reasonable price.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 16 Sep 2017, 1:26 pm

A lightweight .410 with 3" shells is not really low recoil. I have one of the Rossi tuffys and it has significant recoil, maybe worse felt recoil than my 12g 20" Adler.
I suspect the Circuit Judge is only slightly heavier than the Tuffy.
Why is low recoil a requirement? If its for a Adult maybe a full size12g with low recoil shells may be the way to go.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 16 Sep 2017, 8:01 pm

I have a lever action marlin .410 its a nice gun holds 4-1 and is used for shooting slugs, it can be very picky with ammunition, federal shells wont feed and jam up in the tube.

Also have a single shot adler with a fixed full choke thats was cheap as chips, its shots alittle high and has abit kick because its lite on the upside it takes 3 inch shells.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 16 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

I have a 410, I would never hunt with it, it only has an effective range of 15 metres. When I go to the range, I can only hit the 25 metre target with 1 out of 3 buckshot pellets. In saying that, I love my 410, it is soooo much fun, however, my 12 gauge doesn't kick that much harder than the 410, especially with light loads. The cost of 410 shells is a ripoff, and my local gun store wouldn't even give me a discount for buying 250 winchester 3 inch buckshot shells. If you could put a silencer on a 410 (which only our american friends are allowed to do, so don't do it her in oz) I think the 410 would make a great small bird gun (out to 15 metres), especially on dangerous birds who swoop at certain times of the year. But ducks, turkeys etc ....forget it.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Hugh » 17 Sep 2017, 6:15 am

Wombat wrote:A lightweight .410 with 3" shells is not really low recoil. I have one of the Rossi tuffys and it has significant recoil, maybe worse felt recoil than my 12g 20" Adler.
I suspect the Circuit Judge is only slightly heavier than the Tuffy.
Why is low recoil a requirement? If its for a Adult maybe a full size12g with low recoil shells may be the way to go.

Health problems
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 17 Sep 2017, 2:48 pm

Get a 12 guage .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 17 Sep 2017, 4:12 pm

Hugh wrote:
Wombat wrote:Why is low recoil a requirement? If its for a Adult maybe a full size12g with low recoil shells may be the way to go.

Health problems

Is the weight of the gun also a factor? If not a fullsize under and over or sxs 12g with light loads will get you a lighter recoil. If its for clays only, you are a club member and you can get a doctors letter a semi auto would be even better.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2017, 4:27 pm

I've been toying with getting the Stoeger Condor under/over in .410 3" just for messing about with. I certainly wouldn't be trying to kill things with it though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 17 Sep 2017, 6:09 pm

I shot hundreds of rabbits with my 410 when i was a kid. Its a good gun for hunting rabbits
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 17 Sep 2017, 7:45 pm

Ed9362 wrote:I shot hundreds of rabbits with my 410 when i was a kid. Its a good gun for hunting rabbits

I shoot pigeons and doves regularly with a .410 its more than capable of doing the job

I also use it to shoot unruly and hard to pen sheep when when slaughtering, 1 slug and they go down
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Sep 2017, 8:29 pm

Im not sure if ill be of help, or whats available, but what about 20 Ga..(from the point of recoil)
Having said that im a fan of the .410....

Ed9362 wrote:I shot hundreds of rabbits with my 410 when i was a kid. Its a good gun for hunting rabbits

Me too..!!!.its a very effective instant killer on the fastest rabbit in the right hands, & a great way to hone skills...
I believe its range is considerably underestimated, will give convincing instant kills at 30 yds with 3" shells packed with #4's...subject to pattern & shooters skill.
My ol'man just got another s/s for fun on bunnies while he's out trapping & im keen to get an o/u...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:I've been toying with getting the Stoeger Condor under/over in .410 3" just for messing about with. I certainly wouldn't be trying to kill things with it though.

Hi Bladeracer,

For what little my opinion is worth...
If you have access to numbers of bunnies, or clear the odd shed of pigeons, dont be afriad to give the .410 a crack mate...!!!
If you can shoot a running bunny in the head with a 12Ga on 3/4 or full choke, you'll love playing with a .410...check the pattern &/or test on clays--if you 'dust' clays at modest ranges, you'll have lots of bunnies to dress out...!
If you get one im keen to hear how it goes...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2017, 12:49 am

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I've been toying with getting the Stoeger Condor under/over in .410 3" just for messing about with. I certainly wouldn't be trying to kill things with it though.

Hi Bladeracer,

If you have access to numbers of bunnies, or clear the odd shed of pigeons, dont be afriad to give the .410 a crack mate...!!!
If you can shoot a running bunny in the head with a 12Ga on 3/4 or full choke, you'll love playing with a .410...check the pattern &/or test on clays--if you 'dust' clays at modest ranges, you'll have lots of bunnies to dress out...!

I have shot rabbits and birds with .410 and 12ga when I was a kid, I prefer a rifle though.
We have got a few rabbits slowly coming back here, not enough to start shooting them out yet though :-)
Not sure if we're even allowed to shoot pigeons in Victoria.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 18 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

I have written off the Circuit judge,and added the Adler and Stoeger Condor to short list,i to too in my youth took hundreds of rabbits and a lot of ducks till I turned 14 and was given Mossberg 12 g pump for birthday,20 g has nearly same recoil as 12 g due to lighter guns.Wouldnt look at single barrel 410 for same reason.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Sep 2017, 6:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:

Hi Bladeracer,

I have shot rabbits and birds with .410 and 12ga when I was a kid, I prefer a rifle though.
We have got a few rabbits slowly coming back here, not enough to start shooting them out yet though :-)
Not sure if we're even allowed to shoot pigeons in Victoria.

Im not in Vic, but i did ask the authorities there earlier this year for a trip i did over there about shooting ferals & non-game species on private land...apparently you dont even need a hunting permit to do so...
So although im not sure, i cant see why you cant hook in to a feral pigeon population on private land...as long as not a native/protected species like the toppies...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 18 Sep 2017, 6:27 pm

Hugh wrote:... ... ... ,20 g has nearly same recoil as 12 g due to lighter guns.Wouldnt look at single barrel 410 for same reason.

Ok...i did shoulder a beretta silver pig in 20ga 20 odd months ago, from memory it wasnt a notable amount lighter than the Lanber 12ga i was shooting at the time & the small framed person bought it on advice of less recoil--i thought that may be a similar case accross the board--or maybe they got a bum steer for a sale. Thats the only reason i mentioned it.
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Sep 2017, 7:07 pm

Honestly Hugh. If you want good results you need to start reloading. A 12 or 20g can be made to shoot with very little recoil. But you must reload.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 18 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Honestly Hugh. If you want good results you need to start reloading. A 12 or 20g can be made to shoot with very little recoil. But you must reload.

I know but cant be bothered have to many other hobbies[fishing,travel]and then there is work,yes I still work fulltime and as a bricky as well s living in eye shot of my grandson.Looking at recoil tables it seems my best shot at only 7lbs.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Diesel » 12 Apr 2018, 10:39 pm

Hugh wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Honestly Hugh. If you want good results you need to start reloading. A 12 or 20g can be made to shoot with very little recoil. But you must reload.

I know but cant be bothered have to many other hobbies[fishing,travel]and then there is work,yes I still work fulltime and as a bricky as well s living in eye shot of my grandson.Looking at recoil tables it seems my best shot at only 7lbs.

There are plenty of light 12 guage loads available without reloading, many would surprise you. That said I do like the .410
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.