Newbie.. Discolouration on shotgun, how to clean?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Newbie.. Discolouration on shotgun, how to clean?

Post by nrussell97 » 25 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm

Hi everyone,

Forewarning: I am quite new to firearms (5 months) and am still unsure about a lot of things so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with this.

I bought this Miroku Mk10 last weekend from a bloke and when I looked it over she looked great. Afterwards I went out to the range and shot it straight away. I forgot to clean it afterwards and only got around to it now.

Theres some discolouration on the action side of the barrel, which you can see in the image below. I tried scrubbing it with a brass brush and some G96 but not all of it came off.

Is this something I need to be worried about?

Cheers, Nick
nrussell97
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Newbie.. Discolouration on shotgun, how to clean?

Post by marksman » 26 Nov 2017, 6:35 pm

try metal polish :thumbsup:
but start to lubricate it, inox, wd40 or light oil of some sort
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by nrussell97 » 26 Nov 2017, 6:44 pm

Cheers will do!

Is it just scratching from using it without enough oil/lubrication?
nrussell97
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 26 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm

it actually looks like a corrosion of some sort :unknown: , the miroku is a well made gun, made with good materials
I would get an undersized or soft cleaning brush on a short rod and put some autosol on a patch over the brush in a drill to clean the chambers
you could also use this on the outsides to make it easier to polish or use a dremel with a polishing attachment for the outside with autosol
don't be to worried about hurting anything as you wont, its not a tea party get into it and polish it good
don't polish anywhere on the outside of the action or barrels, this method will take blueing off
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harts » 27 Nov 2017, 9:41 am

Tried a bit of fine steel wool instead of the brass?
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.