Experience based recommendations on loads for . 410

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Experience based recommendations on loads for . 410

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Jan 2018, 10:28 pm

Hi,

Picked up my savage model 42 combination in 22wmr over .410. It's going to be lots of fun, and is currently fitted with a niko stirling Nrd 30 red dot scope. I haven't had much of a chance to play yet, but accuracy looks like it'll easily be minute of fox at sensible distances. Given the dot looks to about 4 MOA that's probably more than good enough for my intended use of this firearm. Point of impact for the .410 barrel using the one box of Winchester 3" shells in #4 shot I had at hand was, as to be expected, a few inches below point of aim. I'll need to play around to work out the required amount of holdover.

Looking for experienced based comments on the use of #4 vs #6 shot. The extra pellets in #6 will help fill the gaps in the pattern that come with #4 shot through a. 410, but may just give away too much energy for bunnies. I'm also expecting the odd fox to pops its head up at close range.

Save your comments about 12g and 20g being so much better than .410, I've got access to 3 different 12 g, and they are definitely good things, , but this little savage is going to be just the ticket for a property with tight scrub and lots of bunnies and the odd fox all at very short range.

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Experience based recommendations on loads for . 410

Post by Stix » 09 Jan 2018, 8:03 am

.410 on bunnies & foxes you say...
No 4 shot...no bigger & no smaller.

No4 eill give good penetration through grass on bunnies & in tight scrub, & will also pull up Freddo Fox...

But did i read you correct...did you say "holdover" in relation to reflex shooting bunnies & foxes moving at light speed in tight scrub using the .410 shotgun barrel of a combo gun...?!!?
... :silent: ... :crazy: ... :unknown:

Its trying them there things that can result in getting your arrow bent... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Jan 2018, 2:37 pm

I dont reload for the 410, should at the cost of them $14 a packet of 20
my daughter uses a double barrel 410 for in close spotlighting
what I know is, use #4 shot, 3 1/2 cases at minimal distance and you can do very well with them
when we are walking spotlighting she dusts the rabbits with her 410 in close jumped at our feet and I take the longer shots usually with a 17 ackley
it is a very light and handy shotgun :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 09 Jan 2018, 3:24 pm

Had a Mossberg 195KC 3 shot, bolt action for 39 years. Definitely four's for most work. When you reload try some with 4 x SG balls in them. They are excellent fox and cat killers.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 Jan 2018, 7:00 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give the 4's a run
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Conallin24 » 10 Jan 2018, 7:43 pm

Hey mate experienced shotgun user. If you have a half choke on that gun use 3inch 20-22g loads. If tighter use the 2.5inch 14g shells. For the game you say I would use 4s for rabbits. Keep some BBS and size 7-9 on hand in smaller amounts seperate to the 4s for other stuff.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.