Cost of lighter projectiles in factory ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Cost of lighter projectiles in factory ammo

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Thanks for the offer, but it's all good. I'll try different weights of factory rounds first and see how I go. :drinks:

It just occurred to me, Hornady do a low-recoil line of ammo called "Custom-Lite".
It includes an 87gn SST .243 load.
I have no idea if it's available in Oz.
But I could load some 87gn VMax's at the same velocity and see how they feel.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-87-gr-sst-custom-lite#!/

87gn SST at 2800fps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 3:29 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey yb were ya using the ppu 90's?
:unknown:

Bingo. Bought a couple of boxes of it to get the shots on paper and zero it.

bladeracer wrote:What position are shooting from? Prone will give you the most recoil feedback, seated from a bench would be better, standing is better still.
I would try a muzzle brake. You don't know anybody with a braked .243 you could try?

Was shooting from fold-out table I took with me, but I think it might have been a little low which might have contributed to the issue.
The brother of an in-law might have a break but my barrel isn't threaded... Tikka t3x Lite SS.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

Thought so :D the ppu are cheaper than the name brands regardless of weight cause they're made in Serbia or one of those eastern Europe countries. And the felt recoil is a lot more than winchester or federal maybe the thicker case?. :thumbsup:
We are The paint where there ain't supposed to be paint
Daddybang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 3:41 pm

Daddybang wrote:Or maybe try Fusion brand(yellow and orange pkt) 95gr subs (stated mv of 905fps) if I remember right. Bought some for the missus when the ppu were giving her a bit of grief and she found them much easier. :drinks:

I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not lol :lol:
Either way, won't really work for me as the purpose of the rifle will be for larger targets and foxes at extended ranges (130+m) and occasionally mincing some bunnies which I am looking forward to :twisted: .

bladeracer wrote:It just occurred to me, Hornady do a low-recoil line of ammo called "Custom-Lite".
It includes an 87gn SST .243 load.
I have no idea if it's available in Oz.
But I could load some 87gn VMax's at the same velocity and see how they feel.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-87-gr-sst-custom-lite#!/

87gn SST at 2800fps.

Thx for the tip - I'll keep an eye out for these mate, trouble with the Hornady rounds is the damn things are at a premium price compared to everything else!
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:43 pm

YoungBuck wrote:The brother of an in-law might have a break but my barrel isn't threaded... Tikka t3x Lite SS.

If you can have a shot with a braked rifle and think it helps then threading the muzzle is pretty easy to do.

That Hornady Custom-Lite load with the 87gn SST at 2800fps would be more than one-grain lower than ADI's starting load so it should be pretty comfortable.
The Hornady Custom 87gn VMax load is 3240fps for comparison.
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 3:44 pm

Nah not taking the piss :lol: :drinks:
We don't shoot much over100 at home.
Winchester make a 58 gr that's also pretty easy on the shoulder :drinks:
Daddybang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:49 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Thx for the tip - I'll keep an eye out for these mate, trouble with the Hornady rounds is the damn things are at a premium price compared to everything else!

That's why we reload ;-)
My bother is using Federal 75gn HP factory ammo for full-power loads, but only until he has a nice batch of brass to reload.
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 4:56 pm

"That Hornady Custom-Lite load with the 87gn SST at 2800fps would be more than one-grain lower than ADI's starting load so it should be pretty comfortable."

I agree. Ideal for his use too.
Sounds like YB needs to get into reloading.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 8:42 pm

I think I dropped a 2 off the mv stated above :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 8:48 pm

Daddybang wrote:I think I dropped a 2 off the mv stated above :unknown: :drinks:

Ah that explains why I though you were taking the piss - 95gr at 980fps :lol: Just Googled it, yes its 2980fps.
Does it really produce a lighter recoil? The PPU 90gr is pretty much the same MV - 2969fps.

edit: scratch that last, it's 3100fps (945m/s).
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 9:18 pm

If the ammo you are shooting is about equal to the ADI starting load it will be fairly mild recoil.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 12 Jan 2018, 9:24 pm

If the tikka still has the factory recoil pad on it, buy a limbsaver precision first pad for it, should be model 10011. I put one on my tikka T3 Hunter in 25-06 and it made a BIG difference. Screws straight on and fits neatly. I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed
Bent Arrow
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 10:31 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
Daddybang wrote:I think I dropped a 2 off the mv stated above :unknown: :drinks:

Ah that explains why I though you were taking the piss - 95gr at 980fps :lol: Just Googled it, yes its 2980fps.
Does it really produce a lighter recoil? The PPU 90gr is pretty much the same MV - 2969fps.

edit: scratch that last, it's 3100fps (945m/s).

That sounds better!!! :lol: :lol:
Daddybang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 20 Jan 2018, 9:36 pm

This thread is getting well off topic, but for those following along I did put on an after market recoil pad which has made quite the difference ("Smartcells advanced recoil pad").
I fired 20 x rounds at LR range today and my shoulder is only very slightly sore from it. Far less sore than from the 6 shots last time with the stock pad. Feels more like a pulled muscle now rather than bruising. Could have fired another dozen rounds before getting discomfort I reckon.
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2018, 10:33 pm

Good. Much better then.
Are the group OK?

Reminds me I need a new one on my 3006 must be 25 yr old. Lol. Gone hard.
Will give the old one a good test tomorrow.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics