Anyone using the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles in their 6.5mm?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Anyone using the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles in their 6.5mm?

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 May 2018, 11:01 am

I'm now firmed up on ordering a .260 Rem barrel for my Ruger PR.
Probably a few months away, if I'm realistic about getting the funds together...sigh.

In the mean-time, I thought I'd look into getting a few projectiles on hand.

My mate with a .260, pokks a lot of light game with Hornady 95gn V-max, and finds them very good.
I was looking at the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles, and was interested to find out if anyone here had used them?
Slightly cheaper than the V-max, and I thought I'd try a box or two, in addition to the V-Max's.

A few forums on the net suggest they are a great varmint projectile out to around 400 yards, and highly explosive on small game.
I'd be using them mostly on roos, foxes, the occasional dingo, and maybe a pig or two.

Anyone used them?

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Anyone using the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles in their 6.5

Post by SCJ429 » 17 May 2018, 8:02 pm

I have not used them but I am betting that they will be accurate and explosive. All the TNT I have used were very forgiving regarding seating depth, easy to tune, accurate and frangable. Not too much wrong with the Hornady Vmax either. My choice would be for a heavier 140 grain projectile but for the game you are looking at the TNT is a good choice out to 300 or 400 metres. The 110 grain 7mm TNT works great for me at those distances.
SCJ429
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Rod_outbak » 18 May 2018, 8:01 am

SCJ429,

Thanks for that. My (limited) experience with TNT projectiles is the same.
95% of my shots are ~250-350 metres, so the lighter projectiles are great for what I want.

Mates use the 95gn 6.5mm V-Max's a lot for hunting, and find them great.

What rifle and calibre is the 7mm? I have some test loads made up for the 7mm-08 in the 110gn TNT, but havent gotten around to testing them yet.
I shoot a lot of 120gn V-Max in the 7mm-08; they work a treat out to around 450 metres.
Even pokked a Corbey(crow) one day at 350 metres; surprised the crap out of both myself AND Corbey...

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2018, 3:28 pm

Hi Rod, it is a 7mm BR Norma, so a fair bit slower than your 7mm08 but I have used them for a friends 08. He used all sorts of factory ammo in his Howa and couldn't get it to shoot under two inches. I loaded some TNT and after minimal load testing and a trigger job, he was shooting under an inch consistently.
SCJ429
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics