My new P14

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: My new P14

Post by Stoney » 13 Sep 2020, 7:21 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Have you had the rear sight off to clean it, Stoney? Reason I ask is, that it looks like the kind of thing you would find on a target rifle( sorry, I haven't read the full post from the start). If so, it could be in good nick too even if there is some dust and grit on the threads. Those things were all detachable for transport and returned to zero within half an moa, owing to the parallel thread of the mounting plate. Cleaning these days is by squirting the exposed threads with G96 (and maybe scrubbing with a toothbrush), winding the knobs to their limits (careful not to go TOO far) and repeat.
Good luck mate :thumbsup:

p.s. any Full-Bore Target shooter would help you :)

Well Mr Traynor, I did in fact pull the peep sight off today after a bit of a battle and soaked it in kero to get years and years of gunk out of the workings. I dis-assembled it completely. It is quite a complex device, a lot of very, very small screws and springs, almost like clockwork. I did find to my amusement a hidden Allen key recess with Allen key to " set " the sight. All steel, no plastic. Now it clicks up and down, left and right just like the day it was made. And now detaches easily. What an amazing level of engineering.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Sep 2020, 9:30 pm

Stoney wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Have you had the rear sight off to clean it, Stoney? Reason I ask is, that it looks like the kind of thing you would find on a target rifle( sorry, I haven't read the full post from the start). If so, it could be in good nick too even if there is some dust and grit on the threads. Those things were all detachable for transport and returned to zero within half an moa, owing to the parallel thread of the mounting plate. Cleaning these days is by squirting the exposed threads with G96 (and maybe scrubbing with a toothbrush), winding the knobs to their limits (careful not to go TOO far) and repeat.
Good luck mate :thumbsup:

p.s. any Full-Bore Target shooter would help you :)

Well Mr Traynor, I did in fact pull the peep sight off today after a bit of a battle and soaked it in kero to get years and years of gunk out of the workings. I dis-assembled it completely. It is quite a complex device, a lot of very, very small screws and springs, almost like clockwork. I did find to my amusement a hidden Allen key recess with Allen key to " set " the sight. All steel, no plastic. Now it clicks up and down, left and right just like the day it was made. And now detaches easily. What an amazing level of engineering.

Well done Stoney and no need for the "Mr.," my name is Bill.
Would you mind telling us what brand it is? I'll bet collectors would be fascinated. I am not by the way :) just curious.
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 13 Sep 2020, 10:14 pm

Awesome. And they can shoot. Generally a cut above your average SMLE.
At what point does a lack of maintenance become "patena"?
in2anity
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 14 Sep 2020, 3:13 pm

No worries Bill it is. The brand is ARMSTRONG I haven't found a model and/or number on it yet.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 14 Sep 2020, 5:53 pm

Stoney wrote:
straightshooter wrote:It is more likely just a simple 303/25 and the barrel and mods were done by Sprinter arms in SA.
You will soon find out by checking a standard 303/25 case for fit and then if OK firing a round and comparing the case with an unfired case.
To the best of my knowledge there was never a 303/25 AI but there was a 303/25 Epps improved which was like an AI but it never attained any degree of popularity here.

I agree straightshooter. I have read that the Sprinter shoulder is set back further than the standard 303/25. My plan is once I have it, try and chamber a standard 303/25 with a soap blocked neck and perhaps 5 grains of trailboss. If it chambers I will then have a good idea of what I am dealing with.

You are 100% correct straightshooter. I will fire a case and confirm. Thanks for your input mate. :drinks:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Sep 2020, 7:01 pm

Stoney wrote:No worries Bill it is. The brand is ARMSTRONG I haven't found a model and/or number on it yet.

Thank you Stoney but I am none the wiser. Might be a job for a diehard collector if you wanted its history. :)
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 16 Sep 2020, 8:53 am

The pictures tell a different story to what I had earlier thought and commented on.
F. Taylor and J. Taylor were father and son operators of a gunshop in Bathurst street Sydney that had become defunct by the early 70's.
Both were life members of Sydney Rifle Club.
Fullbore rifles with heavy 303 barrels with TAYLOR stamped on the 'nock's form' can be encountered from time to time.
The stock is done in the style of a full bore M17 conversion of that era with a piece of wood inlet into the original stock to provide a slightly higher comb. The stock is a little fancier than usual with it's fairly coarse checkering, probably about as fine as the original military wood would support.
The barrel and chambering can be a problem.
Judging by the shape of it's reinforce, the barrel looks like a typical Sportco barrel of that era. The neatly engraved J. Taylor suggests that it was fitted but not necessarily chambered by him but the crudely engraved .25 Imp Sprinter could be something a later owner has done. If there is a 303/25 stamping somewhere else on the barrel then that serve to confirm my theory.
If it has a cock on opening 'speed lock' fitted then, provided the barrel is decent, you will have quite a good sporter as is. If not then a cock on opening speed lock and trigger conversion may be well worth the effort.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
“No nation can be freer than its most oppressed, richer than its poorest, or wiser than its most ignorant.” Henry George
straightshooter
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 16 Sep 2020, 4:17 pm

straightshooter wrote:The pictures tell a different story to what I had earlier thought and commented on.
F. Taylor and J. Taylor were father and son operators of a gunshop in Bathurst street Sydney that had become defunct by the early 70's.
Both were life members of Sydney Rifle Club.
Fullbore rifles with heavy 303 barrels with TAYLOR stamped on the 'nock's form' can be encountered from time to time.
The stock is done in the style of a full bore M17 conversion of that era with a piece of wood inlet into the original stock to provide a slightly higher comb. The stock is a little fancier than usual with it's fairly coarse checkering, probably about as fine as the original military wood would support.
The barrel and chambering can be a problem.
Judging by the shape of it's reinforce, the barrel looks like a typical Sportco barrel of that era. The neatly engraved J. Taylor suggests that it was fitted but not necessarily chambered by him but the crudely engraved .25 Imp Sprinter could be something a later owner has done. If there is a 303/25 stamping somewhere else on the barrel then that serve to confirm my theory.
If it has a cock on opening 'speed lock' fitted then, provided the barrel is decent, you will have quite a good sporter as is. If not then a cock on opening speed lock and trigger conversion may be well worth the effort.

No other barrel stamp straightshooter although I have not taken the barrel and action out of the stock yet. Cock on close ( bugger ) and a creepy/ grungy long first stage, but a crisp let off on the second. Perhaps a good clean is in order. I am considering a cock on opening conversion from Rebels @ $45 plus a Timney trigger @ $161 unless someone more knowledgeable has better options?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 16 Sep 2020, 4:29 pm

s**t I also forgot. I have yet to measure the twist rate. I am assuming 1:12? Wasn't that the most popular with 87grs?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Sep 2020, 6:53 pm

Stoney wrote:s**t I also forgot. I have yet to measure the twist rate. I am assuming 1:12? Wasn't that the most popular with 87grs?

Yes but 100 grains would be ok too, just not 120 gn.
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 16 Sep 2020, 7:27 pm

Well, hopefully a test fire this weekend and a fireformed case, and if all goes well, a strip down and refurbishment. I can't explain how much I really love this old gun, it just ticks nostalgia boxes for me. And to think I purchased it for the Princely sum of $400. :thumbsup: I am hoping it is 303/25 Imp with a good twist rate. The bore is excellent. Thanks to everyone that has commented. I will post a fireformed case and then perhaps load development and refurbishment pics.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics