250 savage

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2024, 4:16 pm

bigpete wrote:So 250 savage isn't the same length as 22-250?


Overall length is longer due to bigger projectile , case length is same overall, shoulder is a poofteenth longer on the 22-250 so you can push it back when resizing to the 250 savage.The max overall length for the 250 savage is 2.515”, the dummy in the pic is 2.532” . Might get mine longer throated when the chamber is cut. COL for the 22-250 is 2.350” . According to my hornady bible anyway. The case in the pic is 10 thou under minimum trim length, but once fire formed should grow a bit. Cause of the case taper the 250 savage can need regular trimming when pushed hard apparently. Been doing a lot of research on American forums on this caliber.
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2024, 4:24 pm

Blr243 wrote:I just realised the 250 sav is actually the parent case of the 22250 Remington


That’s the attraction for me to this caliber. Good brass supply. Much simpler than making 257 bob brass. Necking up 6mm rem brass is the easiest way to make bob brass, but how often do you see 6mm REM brass around. Sizing down 7x57 is the other option, but I haven’t seen that around new in store for years. With modern 250 savage hunting loads I should be able to equal the bob. I’ll use mild loads in my comp to fire form basically. Reload hotter for trips out to the paddock.
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigpete » 03 May 2024, 5:28 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:So 250 savage isn't the same length as 22-250?


Overall length is longer due to bigger projectile , case length is same overall, shoulder is a poofteenth longer on the 22-250 so you can push it back when resizing to the 250 savage.The max overall length for the 250 savage is 2.515”, the dummy in the pic is 2.532” . Might get mine longer throated when the chamber is cut. COL for the 22-250 is 2.350” . According to my hornady bible anyway. The case in the pic is 10 thou under minimum trim length, but once fire formed should grow a bit. Cause of the case taper the 250 savage can need regular trimming when pushed hard apparently. Been doing a lot of research on American forums on this caliber.


Yes case length of the 250 savage is about half a millimetre longer. Just in your photo it looks quite a bit longer. Must be perception perhaps? Got me worried that its not as easy as I though lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3685
South Australia

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2024, 6:14 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:So 250 savage isn't the same length as 22-250?


Overall length is longer due to bigger projectile , case length is same overall, shoulder is a poofteenth longer on the 22-250 so you can push it back when resizing to the 250 savage.The max overall length for the 250 savage is 2.515”, the dummy in the pic is 2.532” . Might get mine longer throated when the chamber is cut. COL for the 22-250 is 2.350” . According to my hornady bible anyway. The case in the pic is 10 thou under minimum trim length, but once fire formed should grow a bit. Cause of the case taper the 250 savage can need regular trimming when pushed hard apparently. Been doing a lot of research on American forums on this caliber.


Yes case length of the 250 savage is about half a millimetre longer. Just in your photo it looks quite a bit longer. Must be perception perhaps? Got me worried that its not as easy as I though lol


it's looking as easy as 358win from 308 brass . you lose a little neck length in sizing up the neck (10 thou) , but fire forming and brass flow should correct this . 22-250 and 250 savage cases are both 1.912" long overall, the side of the case to where the shoulder starts on the 22-250 is 1.315", the 250 savage is 1.200". so it pushes back the shoulder on the 22-250 0.115", so the reformed 250 case should head space OK . i think ;) . a lot of guys just resize and go according to yank forums :thumbsup:

i love having a new project :D
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2024, 7:52 pm

I have some lapua 22250 brass I’m not useing . I can’t remember if it’s primed or maybe I loaded it up but never used it. Bought it brand new on special from cleavers but I never ended up pursuing the 22250. I bought it as a flat shooting cat and fox gun but realised I’m better carting my 243 on the quad in case I run into bigger game. And now years later I have gone back to a 223 as my focus is on Roos and dingoes. Life is an evolving process of change and spending money
Blr243
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4540
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2024, 8:19 pm

After more internet research, I went a found a random hornady 6.5 man-bun case I picked up at the range, and ran that through my FLS 250 die. Perfectly formed with out thining of the neck and it’s over length so can be trimmed back to correct case length. I’m led to believe necking down eliminates donuts, so long as the neck doesn’t thicken up too much. I’m measuring 15 thou neck thickness with the resized 6.5 brass. I think sizing up the 22-250 bras resulted in 13 thou neck thickness. I’ll have to double check when I get another case to try. One rabbit hole is if using 6.5CM brass is there’s the option to resize small rifle primer brass . Would there be any gains to doing this I wonder ?

edit . i may have the donut theory arse about . more research..... :roll:
Last edited by bigrich on 04 May 2024, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2024, 8:24 pm

Blr243 wrote: Life is an evolving process of change and spending money


Ain’t that the truth! At least spending it on cars or guns there’s something to show for it . Ha ha
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 04 May 2024, 7:20 am

this morning i reviewed making 250 savage brass from 6.5cm . initial results aren't good . neck thickness varies .016" - .013" . seated a 100 speer fb to bottom of the neck, col 2.600" . rolled it on my bench and she's wobbly . the neck ain't real straight to the case . scratch that idea :lol: looks like necking up 22-250 is the go . either that or buying proper hornady brass , which ain't cheap . however i have found a guy who cleans, anneals, resizes and neck turns new or once fired range brass into obsolete calibers . spoke to him last week and he's got proper forming dies apparently . might give this a go . uses ppu or sako 308 brass to form 250 savage
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 07 May 2024, 6:31 am

i looked into resizing 22-250 cases further , FLS some PPU second hand brass from my local range .cleaned in a media tumbler, lots of hornady "one shot" case lube and through the FLS 250 die . resulted in .013" neck wall almost all the way around . one spot was .012" . sounds pretty good to me , the ppu 22-250 cases neck wall thickness measures .014"-.013" . if anything the case i resized was more consistent in it's wall thickness . until i get the rifle done and have some new hornady 250 savage cases to compare too . i won't cry "eureka" just yet. i think 250 savage brass is a little on the thin side compared to modern cases like the 308 , once i get the hornady brass i can compare . planning to use loads from this brass as a baseline to compare accuracy . i did the same with my 358win . my 308 resized cases in that caliber showed no difference to starline made 358 cases . it's looking good bigpete ........ :D
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigpete » 07 May 2024, 8:59 am

( Monty Burns voice ) Excellent.......
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3685
South Australia

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 07 May 2024, 10:06 am

bigpete wrote:( Monty Burns voice ) Excellent.......


:lol: “Smither’s I want that man k!lled……”
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by straightshooter » 08 May 2024, 9:01 am

I don't understand what all the anguish with resizing 22-250 brass is all about, especially new brass.
All you need is the lightest smear of light oil inside the neck and preferably use a Hornady die with an elliptical expander ball and only go deep enough to expand the neck. Only full length resize if you are using fired brass.
Except for the neck, the case dimensions of the 22-250 and the 250 Savage are identical for a good reason;
I have made 250 brass from 308 Win brass but it involves a lot more work with a few failures due to shoulder collapse and folds. Also neck turning is needed thus introducing the possibility of donuts.
If you use 22-250 brass any of your donut worries can be attended to at Krispy Kreme.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1281
New South Wales

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 08 May 2024, 11:10 am

straightshooter wrote:I don't understand what all the anguish with resizing 22-250 brass is all about, especially new brass.
All you need is the lightest smear of light oil inside the neck and preferably use a Hornady die with an elliptical expander ball and only go deep enough to expand the neck. Only full length resize if you are using fired brass.
Except for the neck, the case dimensions of the 22-250 and the 250 Savage are identical for a good reason;
I have made 250 brass from 308 Win brass but it involves a lot more work with a few failures due to shoulder collapse and folds. Also neck turning is needed thus introducing the possibility of donuts.
If you use 22-250 brass any of your donut worries can be attended to at Krispy Kreme.


thanks very much for your insight on this mate . no real anguish as such , just being thorough . and i'm a little OCD over the technical aspects :D
dunno how they'd respond at krispy kreme if i walked in with shell casings but...... :lol:

how did you find the 250 savage ? specifically accuracy and suitable game weights ? i'm thinking about getting my chamber long throated by about 50 thou . do you have any opinions you'd like to share ? cheers :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by straightshooter » 09 May 2024, 3:16 pm

My setup is this.
25/303 Sportco #4 with open sights only is now only loaded with 75 grain HP projectiles and doesn't get much use. I keep it for sentimental reasons.
250 Savage is loaded with 87, 90 and 100 grain Hornady or Nosler projectiles as the whim takes me. Trouble with those projectiles, at least the ones I have stockpiled , is they are made for North American hunting and mostly are too hard for suitable to the caliber Australian game such as pigs and goats even at close range like 80 meters where they will sail through with not much noticeable expansion. Except as noted this caliber is a perfectly adequate for up to 200 meters without having to aim off. This rifle doesn't and won't get much use because it's worth way too much money.
25-06 is loaded with 100 grain or 115 grain Nosler Partition. I have stockpiled enough of these for any anticipated future hunting needs. This setup works well for any suitable game out to 250 meters without aiming off and sometimes if I guess right even a lot further.
I would suggest you think through carefully lengthening the throat. With a small case capacity there is almost nothing to be gained if you stick with sane chamber pressures. For a variety of reasons a throating job such as you describe, if not done perfectly, can very easily be detrimental to accuracy which can be very disappointing if you enjoy good accuracy to start with.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1281
New South Wales

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 09 May 2024, 4:03 pm

straightshooter wrote:My setup is this.
25/303 Sportco #4 with open sights only is now only loaded with 75 grain HP projectiles and doesn't get much use. I keep it for sentimental reasons.
250 Savage is loaded with 87, 90 and 100 grain Hornady or Nosler projectiles as the whim takes me. Trouble with those projectiles, at least the ones I have stockpiled , is they are made for North American hunting and mostly are too hard for suitable to the caliber Australian game such as pigs and goats even at close range like 80 meters where they will sail through with not much noticeable expansion. Except as noted this caliber is a perfectly adequate for up to 200 meters without having to aim off. This rifle doesn't and won't get much use because it's worth way too much money.
25-06 is loaded with 100 grain or 115 grain Nosler Partition. I have stockpiled enough of these for any anticipated future hunting needs. This setup works well for any suitable game out to 250 meters without aiming off and sometimes if I guess right even a lot further.
I would suggest you think through carefully lengthening the throat. With a small case capacity there is almost nothing to be gained if you stick with sane chamber pressures. For a variety of reasons a throating job such as you describe, if not done perfectly, can very easily be detrimental to accuracy which can be very disappointing if you enjoy good accuracy to start with.


wise words mate . i've looked into the negatives of long throating the chamber , gotta have faith in my smith i guess . loaded to listed COL , 100gn speer are a fair way into the case . seated, a 87 speer flat base level with the bottom of the neck is 2.500" COL . 70 thou off the lands is where i want to be when seated at this length . this is the shortest projectile i want to use . speer list the COL as 2.465" . the max for this cal is 2.515" , originally housed in the short mag of the 99 savage . so not increasing it greatly , 50 thou should do it . at this stage i'm investigating this idea of long throating , nothing set in stone yet , 100's are the main projectile i want to use , and seated to listed col they take up a bit of room in the case .
extending the throat is a common thing to do with the 257bob when used in a 98 or 30-06 long action apparently.

i had weird performance from nosler BT's in my 30-06 . pin holes close in , great expansion at distance . the opposite of what a lot of projectiles do .
I'll have to see how the rifle likes them , 87,100 gn FB speers , 100gn game kings, are what i'm thinking of . i've gotta barrel on it's way , so the bits are coming together :D
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2024, 6:36 pm

I hate a bad throating job....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3685
South Australia

Re: 250 savage

Post by bigrich » 09 May 2024, 6:45 pm

bigpete wrote:I hate a bad throating job....


firearms pete, firearms :lol:
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4598
Queensland

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics