22-250 anyone ?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2024, 12:21 pm

hey fellas , just starting a topic for the sake of discussion and learning . so who's a 22-250 fan and what are it's ranges and limitations :unknown:

look forward to your responses :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2024, 12:29 pm

I have a 22-250. So far I've not pushed it beyond 250m on game. Mine only shoots 55gn and under well. While I have shot 1 fallow buck with it spotlighting I really wouldn't call it a deer rifle with that light pills
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3797
South Australia

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by animalpest » 08 Jul 2024, 2:13 pm

I have had a couple of 22/250 rifles over the past 40 years. I have also just stuck to 52-55gr bullets and primarily used it for sniping rabbits, fox/dog shooting and animals such as goats.

It's a terrific calibre for the lighter game and anything a .223 will do the 22/250 will do better further away!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1061
Western Australia

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2024, 4:03 pm

animalpest wrote:I have had a couple of 22/250 rifles over the past 40 years. I have also just stuck to 52-55gr bullets and primarily used it for sniping rabbits, fox/dog shooting and animals such as goats.

It's a terrific calibre for the lighter game and anything a .223 will do the 22/250 will do better further away!


for the reasons you've given, i'm considering stepping up to 22-250 . more expensive to run than my 223, but some of the critters on the properties i get on, seem to know that sitting out over 300 i won't take the shot . besides that , i can recycle the spent cases for my 250 savage ;)
what's the practical range for the 22-250 on goats and foxes and such ?
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2024, 4:25 pm

bigrich wrote:
animalpest wrote:I have had a couple of 22/250 rifles over the past 40 years. I have also just stuck to 52-55gr bullets and primarily used it for sniping rabbits, fox/dog shooting and animals such as goats.

It's a terrific calibre for the lighter game and anything a .223 will do the 22/250 will do better further away!


for the reasons you've given, i'm considering stepping up to 22-250 . more expensive to run than my 223, but some of the critters on the properties i get on, seem to know that sitting out over 300 i won't take the shot . besides that , i can recycle the spent cases for my 250 savage ;)
what's the practical range for the 22-250 on goats and foxes and such ?


I would just run heavier 80gn bullets in the .223 for longer ranges. The light bullets lose velocity rapidly and tend to get moved around in the wind.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12872
Victoria

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2024, 4:36 pm

Bought one a few yrs ago. I wanted a laser for cats and foxes and to minimise range estimation at night but soon realised I should be carrying a 243 or bigger for the pigs I’m likely to encounter so the 250 got safe queened for a while. I’m starting to look at the 250 a bit more lately now that I’m seeing less pigs on my new northern hunting patch . I may just fit it with a scope soonish
Blr243
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4567
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2024, 4:37 pm

Very mild to shoot and factory ppu ammo is cheap
Blr243
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4567
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by deye243 » 08 Jul 2024, 5:15 pm

Never had one never will I have mates with them and one bought a 243 like me and never looked back 6mm pill doing 4000fps leaves 250 for dead even a 65 vmax at 3800fps my load is a rippa
User avatar
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2351
Victoria

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2024, 5:32 pm

My load for the 22-250 goes 4200fps.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3797
South Australia

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by deye243 » 08 Jul 2024, 6:23 pm

Yep with a 40g
User avatar
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2351
Victoria

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2024, 7:07 pm

Not the most efficient case but with the availability of Lapua brass you get get some impressive accuracy out of it. Shot quite a few foxes with one.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3236
New South Wales

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2024, 7:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
animalpest wrote:I have had a couple of 22/250 rifles over the past 40 years. I have also just stuck to 52-55gr bullets and primarily used it for sniping rabbits, fox/dog shooting and animals such as goats.

It's a terrific calibre for the lighter game and anything a .223 will do the 22/250 will do better further away!


for the reasons you've given, i'm considering stepping up to 22-250 . more expensive to run than my 223, but some of the critters on the properties i get on, seem to know that sitting out over 300 i won't take the shot . besides that , i can recycle the spent cases for my 250 savage ;)
what's the practical range for the 22-250 on goats and foxes and such ?


I would just run heavier 80gn bullets in the .223 for longer ranges. The light bullets lose velocity rapidly and tend to get moved around in the wind.


don't want to go down the heavy for caliber 223 path . my current 223 is 1-12 twist and very accurate . i don't do a lot of varmiting/culling , but i reckon my 250 savage with 87's will fill that bill nicely as a general purpose "paddock" load .i'm looking at using 22-250 as a "working" rifle , probably just buy factory ammo for the most part . however, i have a lot of 55 vmax to get rid off , and the spent 22-250 casings can be reused for my 250 savage . besides that 22-250 is fast and flat to 300+ from what i've heard . point and shoot .as you point out blade, wind drift will be more than say a 243 with 85/87's . i haven't really had a play with the 22-250 , but it is known for being a good thing. besides that my local shop has some cheap second hand rifles at the moment :D
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2024, 7:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:Bought one a few yrs ago. I wanted a laser for cats and foxes and to minimise range estimation at night but soon realised I should be carrying a 243 or bigger for the pigs I’m likely to encounter so the 250 got safe queened for a while. I’m starting to look at the 250 a bit more lately now that I’m seeing less pigs on my new northern hunting patch . I may just fit it with a scope soonish


my 308 is always close by for pigs , the 22-250 is a step up from a 223 . my 222 has taken over comp duties at the range . if i'm gunna have a rifle for lighter game out bush , i'm thinking 22-250 is it , so the 223 will get moved on . maybe :D
243 is a barrel burning monster that doesn't suit my uses i reckon . too big for varmiting , too small for pigs and deer in my opinion. i know there's plenty who swear by the 243 as a "all rounder" , but from what i've seen the 308 has more authority on running and tail on shots . so two rifles on a trip , 22-250 and 308 .
simples :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by animalpest » 08 Jul 2024, 8:18 pm

I have .222 and .223 and .243 and 22/250. Each has advantages and disadvantages. For ranges up to 300 or so the 22/250 is king on smaller stuff. It is certainly a more emphatic killer than my .223 rifles on dogs and goats et al.

The barrels on mine all shoot 55gr bullets best as they are not fast twist.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1061
Western Australia

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jul 2024, 8:36 pm

I love the 22/250 ,,,,,,,,,,,

Flat shooting out to 300m,
Fast,
Accurate,
Reliable,
And,, in my rifles case, definitely not fussy about its diet.

It was my always go to rifle for small to medium game up to and including goats.

Because my primary need is the destruction of dogs,,,,,,,, I have now given the 22/250 a rest,,, and gone to 308 HP's but only because the dogs that prevail in my district are now much bigger, heavier, and tougher.

An influx of bigger/heavier dogs saw five of them absorb the 22/250 BT rounds in the boiler room (one took 3) before stopping running.
Not wanting to lose any ,,,,,, is the only reason I've gone to the 308 HP's

But, for all other lighter game I would still favor the 22/250.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
And,,,,It's been proven,,,,, the most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were all canines.
Whilst in most cases ignorance should be excused,,,,,,, stupididty simply cannot.
User avatar
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3768
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 09 Jul 2024, 4:32 am

i'm quite surprised at the number of responses since i started this topic , thanks for all your views and opinions . the old analogy i give non-shooters about firearms being like golf clubs, a different one for different applications definitely rings true. some of you find the 22-250 suits, others find something else works better for them . i've taken my T3 223 comp rifle out on trips and found it lacking in some circumstances, and have been thinking of upgrading . most shots i take are of opportunity, often using the trusty toyota as a rest as i'm driving around properties. i stalk in on spots likely for pigs or deer ect with my 308, but the property owners appreciate me thinning things out in the paddocks if you get my drift ;)
if i was looking at distances over 350 i'd probably run with 87 vmax's in a 243 , but looking at using up 22 cal projectile stockpile i've got and reusing spent factory brass for my 250 savage makes sense to me . horses for courses :) actually, once sorted the 250 savage with 87's at 3000fps will probably work great in this role. as for rifles, the big C has new hogue stocked howa varmits for $629 brand new . god it's tempting , but i'm thinking of a sporter barrel rifle for portability . two , maybe three shots and everything buggers off , so a varmit barrel is probably not necessary. unfortunately no howa sporter's are listed on their website . there's a nice old winchester 70A 22-250 at my local store however :D

now i also have a few boxes of 30 cal projectiles and am thinking of getting something to use them up in "classic caliber" class at a comp at my local range .
30-06 definitely qualifies , what do you fellas think of a FN columbian carbine :D you know the ones with the 16" barrel :D with stiff loads of 2209 it would put on a great fireworks display :lol: although i might lose some friends on the firing line with that one......... :lol:
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by Responsible_Shooter1 » 09 Jul 2024, 7:08 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas , just starting a topic for the sake of discussion and learning . so who's a 22-250 fan and what are it's ranges and limitations :unknown:

look forward to your responses :thumbsup:


I'm 110% a 22-250 fan, Rich (hence the Remington thread as I'm preparing to purchase my own! :)) I think shot to shot, I've had the best hit rate with this caliber over anything else. A few years back, I got the .243 for varminting, and while it's a capable round, I like fast, minimal drop calibers, and the 22-250 has this in spades. Even the .220 Swift is also of interest, but the ammo is a bit more expensive than the 22-250, and it's what I've come to know after having a long-term lend of one.
User avatar
Responsible_Shooter1
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 11
Victoria

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 09 Jul 2024, 8:24 pm

Responsible_Shooter1 wrote:
bigrich wrote:hey fellas , just starting a topic for the sake of discussion and learning . so who's a 22-250 fan and what are it's ranges and limitations :unknown:

look forward to your responses :thumbsup:


I'm 110% a 22-250 fan, Rich (hence the Remington thread as I'm preparing to purchase my own! :)) I think shot to shot, I've had the best hit rate with this caliber over anything else. A few years back, I got the .243 for varminting, and while it's a capable round, I like fast, minimal drop calibers, and the 22-250 has this in spades. Even the .220 Swift is also of interest, but the ammo is a bit more expensive than the 22-250, and it's what I've come to know after having a long-term lend of one.


from what i've read/heard, the 22-250 was popular for some forms of target shooting as they can be very accurate . as long as your firing slowly ;)
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by Wyliecoyote » 09 Jul 2024, 10:05 pm

from what i've read/heard, the 22-250 was popular for some forms of target shooting as they can be very accurate . as long as your firing slowly ;)[/quote]

I never saw a standard 22/250 used but the 29 and 40 degree shoulder Ackley versions were popular at one point with FClass shooters running the Sierra 80 grain bullet which was about the only 22 cal VLD available at the time. In todays world this is pretty much a 22 Creedmoor.

22/250s are hard on barrels and have brass flow issues at high pressure and multiple reloads because of the tapering body angle so trimming is essential. I would strongly recommend a 24 inch or longer barrel as shorter barrels offer not much over a good handloaded 223 using the same bullet and less powder. For this reason i suspect 22/250s have all but disappeared from conversation and factory options from a number of makers. It was once immensely popular, not so today.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 154
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by bigrich » 10 Jul 2024, 5:20 am

Wyliecoyote wrote:from what i've read/heard, the 22-250 was popular for some forms of target shooting as they can be very accurate . as long as your firing slowly ;)


I never saw a standard 22/250 used but the 29 and 40 degree shoulder Ackley versions were popular at one point with FClass shooters running the Sierra 80 grain bullet which was about the only 22 cal VLD available at the time. In todays world this is pretty much a 22 Creedmoor.

22/250s are hard on barrels and have brass flow issues at high pressure and multiple reloads because of the tapering body angle so trimming is essential. I would strongly recommend a 24 inch or longer barrel as shorter barrels offer not much over a good handloaded 223 using the same bullet and less powder. For this reason i suspect 22/250s have all but disappeared from conversation and factory options from a number of makers. It was once immensely popular, not so today.[/quote]

oh yeah, barrel life is not great with some cals, the 22-250 being one of them . funny how creedmore variants have been duplicating what the savage case did many years before. as you point out the 22CM is the twin of the 22-250AI . the hot new thing in the states in 25CM, which is the 250savage AI basically . i thought about getting my 250 i'm having built ackleyed as it almost equals the roberts with less powder . but availability of dies and fireforming, possible feed issues, put me off the idea . trying to keep things simple . but i do like tinkering :D
User avatar
bigrich
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4679
Queensland

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by Responsible_Shooter1 » 10 Jul 2024, 10:42 am

I don't want to steer away from Rich's discussion, but I do have a sincere inquiry: Have the newer versions or updates of the .22-250 caliber you referenced gained significant popularity lately, and are they accompanied by affordable ammunition? You brought up the .22-250 Ackley; Thoughts on that for use in AU?
User avatar
Responsible_Shooter1
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 11
Victoria

Re: 22-250 anyone ?

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Jul 2024, 6:55 pm

The best replacement for the 22/250 is the 22BR or you could chamber the Dasher or BRA if you wanted an improved version.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3236
New South Wales


Back to top
 
Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics