22 lr hunting ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 22 lr hunting ammo

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2018, 6:34 pm

thanks JT. that's off a fold out tripod rest and a bag under the bottom of the butt . i don't take bench shootin' too seriously, it's more about challenging myself and improving my ability for out in the feild . besides that it's bloody fun !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 05 Aug 2018, 7:36 pm

[quote="bigrich"]my weihrauch 66 loves eley sub hollow points , this was 50 yard group , was sighting in a leupold rimfire scope. bloody good optics :thumbsup:[/quote
Great shooting !
My Henry shoots Eley HV HP much the same at fifty , top quality anmo.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 07 Sep 2018, 2:38 pm

bigrich wrote:my weihrauch 66 loves eley sub hollow points , this was 50 yard group , was sighting in a leupold rimfire scope. bloody good optics :thumbsup:

I was using these for a while as they where very accurate but found they didnt hit with as much authority when shooting at 50m or further as the Winchester 42gn subs and I was getting alot of kickers when shooting rabbits and lossing them down there warren.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Medic » 02 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

Federal bulk 525 pack. 1300fps, work well in every 22 I tried. Makes a definitive thud when hitting your mark. 36 bucks for 525 can’t go wrong. Winchester are terrible surviving on their name only. (IMO of course)
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by mickb » 18 Apr 2019, 6:39 pm

I like stingers and velocitors, my rifle shoots them pretty well.
I chronoed these in a 20" barrel bolt action and they don't get velocities as advertised. The stingers ran about 1570fps instead of 1640 . The velocitors were running around 1380 instead of 1435. Not much to worry about, but I wanted to check as a lot of the yank forums were saying the same thing.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Apr 2019, 6:35 am

Cz likes SK magazine and my old norinco loves cci.

There’s a great YouTube video showing the lethality of a .22LR with 1300fps bullets and surprisingly to me, even at 440 yards - it’s still punching through the lethal density targets...which are 1/2 inch pine boards.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUM1r_444CY
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by MtnMan » 03 Dec 2021, 7:16 pm

my LA101 likes the Win power points for high velocity rounds.
In subs it likes the SK pistol match special and the Win super suppressed 45gr LRN. The SK and the super suppressed are both LRN but i made a Waltz die to resize and form them into HP's. works awesome.
The super suppressed is cheap and makes a great hunting round when turned into a HP. they are 45gr at 1090fps so has more energy than the standard 40gr sub loads.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 27 Dec 2021, 7:17 am

I just use cci target ammo. If you started out with an air rifle you'll know its all about shot placement..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2021, 7:47 am

MtnMan wrote:my LA101 likes the Win power points for high velocity rounds.
In subs it likes the SK pistol match special and the Win super suppressed 45gr LRN. The SK and the super suppressed are both LRN but i made a Waltz die to resize and form them into HP's. works awesome.
The super suppressed is cheap and makes a great hunting round when turned into a HP. they are 45gr at 1090fps so has more energy than the standard 40gr sub loads.

How do you do that mate?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 27 Dec 2021, 11:33 am

My LA101 likes the Winchester 40gr HP high velocity.
For subsonic it likes the SK pistol match special and the Winchester super suppressed. Both of these are lead round nose but I made a die to form them into hollow points. (DIY waltz die) My gun didn't shoot any factory HP's anywhere near as well as this stuff so it's worth the time forming the HP's.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2021, 11:57 am

MtnMan wrote:My LA101 likes the Winchester 40gr HP high velocity.
For subsonic it likes the SK pistol match special and the Winchester super suppressed. Both of these are lead round nose but I made a die to form them into hollow points. (DIY waltz die) My gun didn't shoot any factory HP's anywhere near as well as this stuff so it's worth the time forming the HP's.

Any chance of up loading some pics and info in the DIY reloading thread?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 28 Dec 2021, 2:45 pm

It's featured in this thread- viewtopic.php?f=71&t=15809&start=30
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 28 Dec 2021, 2:47 pm

Just realised that I replied to this thread twice with the same info.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Joshua.s » 14 Jan 2022, 9:47 pm

My christensen arms ranger . Likes sk long range match and lapua centerx . In subs it prefers rws . Consistently will shoot .4 inch or less at 50 yards all day . Have had some impressive groups with all three when I do my part right that is. And at the end of the day ill take a well placed shot with a round nose into the pillbox of a fox anyway rather than a hollow point to the chest . But that's my 2 cents , and everyone is different
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by flashman » 16 Jan 2022, 9:36 am

Go to 22wmr is Highland 40g hollows .for 22lr Eley subs both shoot well
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Red Mist » 17 Jan 2022, 2:38 pm

I previously swore by subsonic thinking that it works disturb the other rabbits less. Last weekend I used hv ammo and managed to knock over 9 in 20minutes or so. I found that that they tend to go underground just as much and take about the same time to come up. The noise that it makes when you hit them is a lot louder with less and they tend to not crawl away from a badly placed shot
Red Mist
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics